12 Beers of Christmas 2020 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged up the first trial of the Christmas Gruit this weekend. Primed with just over a pound of honey, currently spunding @ 75°F. Hydrometer sample shows great promise, with all the snow still on the ground I thought it was december still :ban:

Lets get the west coast filled up!

Bump this up! There’s still a few more openings if anyone is interested. See the group 2 list below.

Here is the list of Beers:

GROUP 1 (East Coast)

1) Caramel Quadruple @passedpawn
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel @CaddyWampus
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock @imasickboy
4) Juniper Rye Bock @jack13
5) Fruitcake Old Ale. @Hoppy2bmerry
6) Saffron Tripel @HopHeavy
7) Christmas Gruit @j1laskey
8) Honey Ginger IPA @CarLock Brewing
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale @TBC
10) Gingerbread Ale @satph
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout @wstbrewing
12) Abbey Weizen @fourfarthing

GROUP 2 (West Coast)

1) Caramel Quadruple @jerbrew
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock @grampamark
4) Juniper Rye Bock
5) Fruitcake Old Ale @Yeroc
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit @yoop89
8) Honey Ginger IPA
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
10) Gingerbread Ale @Ultryx
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout @gunhaus
12) Abbey Weizen @TwistedGray

Awesome side trade with @Ultryx just showed up today!

D553A5B8-C385-48E2-9AB9-16A68CA821FF.jpeg

If any of the East coast brewers drop out, even/especially if it's last minute, I'd possibly be interested in participating. I'm confident I could have any of these beers brewed, delicious, bottle carbed, and shipped in 1-3 weeks, even the "lambicky ale". :)

I don't have a trade record on HBT because the one guy I shipped to didn't leave feedback, but I do have plenty of shipping experience. I could show you my eBay profile.

If any of the East coast brewers drop out, even/especially if it's last minute, I'd possibly be interested in participating. I'm confident I could have any of these beers brewed, delicious, bottle carbed, and shipped in 1-3 weeks, even the "lambicky ale". :)

I don't have a trade record on HBT because the one guy I shipped to didn't leave feedback, but I do have plenty of shipping experience. I could show you my eBay profile.

I was in the same position last year, and ended up joining the west group even though I'm in the east.

Just something to consider.

I was in the same position last year, and ended up joining the west group even though I'm in the east.

Just something to consider.
Good point. Could use flat rate boxes. ... But it may increase the shipping costs of all the other West coast participants shipping to Ohio.

Bump this up! There’s still a few more openings if anyone is interested. See the group 2 list below.

GROUP 1 (East Coast)

GROUP 2 (West Coast)

2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
4) Juniper Rye Bock
6) Saffron Tripel
8) Honey Ginger IPA
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale @RPh_Guy
12) Abbey Weizen @TwistedGray

I tried one of my “test” cherry dubbels yesterday. These have only been bottled about a week. The carb level is already good. The head has a slight pink tint which is cool. I think I fermented this one too cool as there’s virtually no Belgian character. There is some decent tartness from the cherries, but not much flavor. I get exactly zero cinnamon also. The finish is a little more dry than other dubbels I have had and I attribute that to the base beer finishing a bit low and then the cherries drying it out further.

Overall, I’d say it’s a decent beer with great color. Definitely a solid platform to build from. I will be curious as to how more time in the bottle will change it.

216208B4-865D-42D2-BF9B-7339EAA8F907.jpeg

Got my recipe for the gingerbread ale milled at the local HBS. Will be brewing it this weekend. Probably Friday as we're supposed to get rain Saturday and Sunday and I like to brew outdoors.

I am going to drop out of this trade due to continued stomach issues. I still have the majority of 2019 on the shelf simply because my guts cannot handle much right now, so I don't need 2019 and 2020 bottles everywhere. If something changes and I figure out this beast of a gut issue I'll pivot back to this thread...there seems to be plenty of spots available :( Sorry guys and gals

I am going to drop out of this trade due to continued stomach issues. I still have the majority of 2019 on the shelf simply because my guts cannot handle much right now, so I don't need 2019 and 2020 bottles everywhere. If something changes and I figure out this beast of a gut issue I'll pivot back to this thread...there seems to be plenty of spots available :( Sorry guys and gals
Bummer, hope you feel better!

Gingerbread ale is bottled up. We'll see how it improves with time. Luckily I have some bottles I can sample as time passes. You know, for science.

I've seen some photos of bottles from the previous year's collections and I definitely feel the pressure to come up with a clever label before they get sent out 😉.

Edit: Clocking in at 5.4% ABV. If this batch is tasty I'll probably re-brew a slightly altered batch for the 12 Beers of Christmas. I have enough here to hand out to family and friends in a bit. I will brew a newer batch around October/November.
20200524_115541.jpg

Attachments

• 20200524_124757.jpg
    20200524_124757.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
RPh_Guy invited me in to this idea, is the Honey Ginger IPA still open?

Sorry, I should have specified-West Coast.

Hate to speak for the OP, but as he hasn't responded....

Looks like it's available. And you meet the min requirements for the event, so you're in. @TBC will add you to the roster when he returns to action.

GROUP 1 (East Coast)

GROUP 2 (West Coast)

2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
4) Juniper Rye Bock
6) Saffron Tripel
8) Honey Ginger IPA @JAReeves
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale @RPh_Guy
12) Abbey Weizen

Last edited:
I made these back in February. Just had one, good carb, mild belgian flavor from the yeast, quickly numbed my brain (tru story).

Label made and applied to bottles. I'm going to box up this weekend and put in closet until I get addresses for you guys. I know I'm really early here, not trying to win a prize for that, it's just my nature.
1594264513564.png

I made these back in February. Just had one, good carb, mild belgian flavor from the yeast, quickly numbed my brain (tru story).

Label made and applied to bottles. I'm going to box up this weekend and put in closet until I get addresses for you guys. I know I'm really early here, not trying to win a prize for that, it's just my nature.
View attachment 688633

Digging the label.

Those boxes look great. Where did you get them?

I bought a ton of these years ago. They are relatively expensive, but they save me a bunch of time and aggravation, and these days that's work $$$ to me.

I love them, but they do not protect as good as the phat box filled with bubble wrap, etc.

https://spiritedshipper.com/

I absolutely love this holiday beer swap..Two years ago I had to drop out because of some pretty heavy things I was dealing with in my personal life and this year Covid has all but but put me out of business and I cant find any wiggle room in my budget for all the shipping costs. Maybe 2021 will finally be my year! I will certainly keep a look out for as soon as the 2021 roster is posted. Cheers!

I absolutely love this holiday beer swap..Two years ago I had to drop out because of some pretty heavy things I was dealing with in my personal life and this year Covid has all but but put me out of business and I cant find any wiggle room in my budget for all the shipping costs. Maybe 2021 will finally be my year! I will certainly keep a look out for as soon as the 2021 roster is posted. Cheers!

Will you be in the East group or the West group?

I bought a ton of these years ago. They are relatively expensive, but they save me a bunch of time and aggravation, and these days that's work $$$ to me.

I love them, but they do not protect as good as the phat box filled with bubble wrap, etc.

https://spiritedshipper.com/

And depending on which carrier you use, you may save money on shipping since those boxes are smaller than the 'phat' box alternative.

Bottled the Juniper Rye Bock (East) today.

that is an awesome setup! Do you have a bottling wand hooked to the 'out' post on the keg? And another bottling wand hooked straight to the CO2 bottle? Nice.

Back