$11.50 PET bottle.. with WATER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamer

Reaction score
I've got 2 glass 5 gallon carboys that I'm using. Want a couple more 5 gallon PET bottles to keep some brews aging. It's $30 a PET bottle with shipping just about everywhere online. Walmart has a 5 gallon PET full of water for $11.50 at front of the store. As long as it's a PET, its the same as a better bottle right? Brand is PRIMO.

I'm sure others will chime in. Seems like the consensus is that PET with a"1" on the bottom may be ok. I'm not sure it's exactly "the same" as a better bottle but maybe ok. I'm not speaking from experience though as I've stuck to glass and better bottles.

Good score. Use em.

There's hundreds of threads discussing this already, there was at least one of them a couple hours ago already today.

As well as the similar threads box below.

I have used the PET 5 gallon Walmart bottle when making Apfelwein but not with beer. Was concerned about possible oxidation but I didn't have any problems. I kept the wine in bottle for 1 month before bottling. The wine was delicious.

I'm sure others will chime in. Seems like the consensus is that PET with a"1" on the bottom may be ok. I'm not sure it's exactly "the same" as a better bottle but maybe ok. I'm not speaking from experience though as I've stuck to glass and better bottles.

This is the key. I am almost positive the water bottles they sell at Walmart have a recycling code "7". Code 7 is listed as "other" and can be made up of a large number of chemicals, including chemicals that are not food safe. Will using a #7 bottle cause a third foot to grow out of your forehead, no. Will using a #7 bottle leach flavors into your beer probably not. However working in the plastics industry are knowing the types of chemicals that can leach out in certain environments I wouldn't want to chance it.

However if the recycling code is #1 then you should be safe. In many cases these bottles are almost identical to better bottles.

This is the key. I am almost positive the water bottles they sell at Walmart have a recycling code "7". Code 7 is listed as "other" and can be made up of a large number of chemicals, including chemicals that are not food safe. Will using a #7 bottle cause a third foot to grow out of your forehead, no. Will using a #7 bottle leach flavors into your beer probably not. However working in the plastics industry are knowing the types of chemicals that can leach out in certain environments I wouldn't want to chance it.

However if the recycling code is #1 then you should be safe. In many cases these bottles are almost identical to better bottles.

Did you read what you wrote here? If this #7 plastic is as bad as you say, do you really think they would use it to package drinking water?

I looked at my bottles; they are marked #7 other, "Use for water storage only". Since I have plenty of glass carboys & a couple of buckets, think I'll pass on using it for brewing or wine making.

Did you read what you wrote here? If this #7 plastic is as bad as you say, do you really think they would use it to package drinking water?

Drinking water has a predictable ph, and isn't typically being used to intentionally grow microorganisms like beer is.
I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but the logic seems to work for me.

You mean vs. packing beer, wine or something else acidic that will cause the chemicals to leech out at an accelerated rate?

#7 bottles will work fine. All bottles are not created equal though. Better Bottles are a little thicker, with better seams than your standard water bottle. I just finished using a #7 as a fruity secondary and as I was cleaning it out to put away I noticed that it had a slow drip. Good thing it held up while it still had my beer in it!!!

#7 bottles will work fine. All bottles are not created equal though. Better Bottles are a little thicker, with better seams than your standard water bottle. I just finished using a #7 as a fruity secondary and as I was cleaning it out to put away I noticed that it had a slow drip. Good thing it held up while it still had my beer in it!!!

I've had 2 Better Bottles form cracks in the bottom when less than a year old. I wrote the company about my problem and they never responded. So no more better bottles for me. I have 10 Primo's and have never had one go bad. No off flavors. And for anyone who says they are not your bottles try to get CASH back!

Back