11/12/13 brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwhy71

Reaction score
I want to brew something special on this date. Something that will be ready to drink on 12/13/14. Maybe a Triple? I love Belgian beers, not crazy about barleywine. Any thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated. Wondering if anyone else is planning a brew for this date.

1 month won't be enough time for a Triple to be ready. Those do best with a couple of months of age on 'em. I'd suggest a brown, porter, or stout. You could do a wit and add some spice at the end of the boil if you're looking for a distinct seasonal flavor. I'd advoid doing anything bigger than 1.060 if you want a 1 month turnaround.

1 month won't be enough time for a Triple to be ready. Those do best with a couple of months of age on 'em. I'd suggest a brown, porter, or stout. You could do a wit and add some spice at the end of the boil if you're looking for a distinct seasonal flavor. I'd advoid doing anything bigger than 1.060 if you want a 1 month turnaround.

That's 12/13/14. So a 1 year, 1 month, 1 day turnaround. So something big would be a good idea.

How about a big Russian Imperial Stout. That would be about in it's prime after a year. I'm planning on brewing one this weekend for next fall/winter. Or you could do a big Belgian stout if you wanted to do something Belgian. Or perhaps a quad?

A big chewy Russian Imperial, Belgian triple or Quad, or a barley wine would be in order. A monster RIS would be my personal choice.

I like the idea and would do the same if I had the time! I hope you plan on an OG of 1.112! :) I think a Belgian Dark strong ale ages VERY nicely!

I brewed the following in November 2012 and it is tasting really interesting now. It has mellowed out tremendously:

9 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
1 lbs Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
3.00 oz Select Spalt [2.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Select Spalt [2.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 7 8.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)
3 lbs Honey (6.0 SRM)

I'll probably use the Trappist Ale yeast next time and substitute some of the adjuncts with more grain but I still think it tastes pretty nice.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with a belgian dark strong.
8# 2 row
8# pilsner
2# munich
.5# caramel 120
.5# special B
.25# aromatic
.25# biscuit
2# amber candi sugar
1# clear candi sugar
2 oz williamette 60 min
1 oz strisselspalt 15 min
1 oz strisselspalt 5 min

1 wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity
1wlp 544 belgian strong ale

i hope to hit 1.112 to coincide with the brew date. Any thoughts on this recipe, and maybe some christmas like spice additions?

Couldn't wait to try this. Absolutely delicious. It so happens that my wife's birthday is 12/13. "Yes honey, I made this for you". She loves strong belgian beers.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks, OG was 1.103, FG was 1.015. It was in primary for a month, secondary for 2 months. Bottled on 2/14/14. Yup, the old lady let me bottle on valentines day. Tasted first one on 7/14, pretty good, carb level was low. 9/14 getting better, 10/14 better, 11/14 carb level is acceptable for style, and it tastes really good, complex flavors, some dried fruit and deceivingly not much alcohol flavor. These big beers take some patience. We are looking forward to drinking a few of these bombers next week for her birthday. Cheers, beer is good food.

Great! Love the idea, the story, the label, especially the happy ending!

I reread the OP posts, and nothing about a happy ending :confused:. He deserves one though, even on the wife's birthday... that was a well planed, and well executed "birthday gift". Nicely done! :mug:

awesome idea! I wish I had seen this last year or thought of it myself. I love dates like that. I guess after this 12/13/14 we wont have another one for a while...

Back