1084 issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Brewed up NB all-grain Irish stout for the second time two weeks ago. I added another pound of Maris Otter and a pound of flaked oats to the mash. Did an iodine test to check for conversion and mashed for an hour around 153. Used Wyeast 1084 (w/ starter) and aerated prior to pitching. OG on brew day was 1.050. Gravity a week after brew day was 1.020. Roused the fermenter a little in the Bubbler and a week later it was still 1.020. Went to LHBS yesterday and they suggested throwing some more yeast in so I rehydrated some Safale-04 and added it last night. No signs of anything happening yet. I had a similar situation with 1084 on another batch of the same kit which I also added oats and Maris Otter to. On that batch, I waited three weeks from brew day to bottling and went ahead and bottled when it was "clear" it would not get below 1.020. About a month into the bottles, they turned into gushers and I had to dump the batch. The gravity of the gushers was 1.010. I am disappointed if the beer doesn't get below 1.020, but my bigger concern is that this batch does not turn into gushers. Any suggestions? AT this point my plan is to let it sit for a week with the 04 and see if any gravity points drop. If not, I guess I am okay to bottle, but I thought the same last time too...

Raising the temperature could be worth a shot - up to 70 F maybe.

I would give it at least a couple more weeks for the S04 to finish up if it were my beer.

English yeast strains like a bit of heat. So try what AMessenger says. It will most probably help the yeast finish.

Funny 'cause so many other posters complain of 04 when it's above 65...

I've never had an issue with 1084 Always finishes well for me.

I agree to bump up the heat a tad to waken the yeast. Give it at least a week before checking SG.

I moved the fermenter with the rehyrated 04 into the upstairs bedroom. We'll see what - if any - changes to the gravity occur this Friday. I was surprised, however, to read this from NB via e-mail: "Oats will create some fermentable sugars when they are mashed. That being said they will also have a lot of dextrines which will be unfermentable. That is why you get that thick mouthfeel from a big oatmeal stout. You could try pitching a pack of some Safale S-04 which if there was still fermentables present would possibly dry things up. I hope that helps. Anything else let us know."
I always thought mashed oats resulted in fermentables - not SOME fermentables.
Oh well - as long as the beer tastes good and the batch doesn't turn into a batch of gushers, I will be happy.

Latest posts

Back