100% FWH Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swab

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever done a 100% FWH beer? I've searched around and can't find any reference to one.

I'm thinking something like this:

90% 2-row
5% Honey malt
5% Crystal 20

C-HOP (probably cascade) FWH to ~25IBU

60 minute boil.

Interesting- are you using a hop bag and removing prior to boil?

No. The point of FWH is that they are in the kettle as you drain the runnings off of the MLT. They stay in through the boil.

You still get the intensity of a typical bittering charge but, and it's impossible to explain, it's smoother. YRMV.

I've been mash hopping on a bunch of my beers lately. FWH is really good too, but it adds a different character.

Do you get a good aroma with JUST fwh? I've never done it by itself, but now I'm wondering if I should.

Do you get a good aroma with JUST fwh? I've never done it by itself, but now I'm wondering if I should.

No. None. Best way to describe it is like a bittering charge and a flavoring charge all at once. I have read tons of technical write ups regarding the chemistry behind FWH and have yet to find anything that can explain why, or how, it is so effective.

IIRC, FWH'ing is equivalent to a bittering charge and a 20 minute charge.

Latest posts

Back