100% Burnt Flour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xier

Reaction score
So, the recipe is as follows:

4 liters of water
1 lb of baker's flour
4 grams of Amarillo

I started by putting flour in a pan:
1.jpg

I then burnt it:
2.jpg

Finally, I added hops and water:
3.jpg

Edit: *I then cooked it all in a pressure cooker*

Did it taste sweet when you had the flour in the water? Otherwise I don't see how this will work. You will get no alcohol, but the hop water may taste ok.

No, it didn't taste very sweet if at all.

Next, I put it into a cold crash:
4.jpg

I'm not sure what this would be classified as, but I don't think it's going to be beer. Burnt hopped gravy?

My wife said her mom used to make gravy in a way somewhat like this.

I just added the bugs into the mix and we will see if they can make a krausen.

First, there would have been no enzymes in that flour to convert the starch. If enzymes had been put in there, burning the flour in the oven would have denatured the enzymes. Result is burnt flour, burnt (?) hops, and water. Together.

How did the starches get converted to sugar? What will the yeast be eating? Where did you come up with this idea?

The starches haven't been converted to sugars. The yeast will be eating sugar. It is based off of the way I have been brewing till now with a slight modification.

First, there would have been no enzymes in that flour to convert the starch. If enzymes had been put in there, burning the flour in the oven would have denatured the enzymes. Result is burnt flour, burnt (?) hops, and water. Together.

There were no enzymes added. The flour isn't actually burnt, just browned; I said it like that for comedic effect. The hops were added with the water and were not browned.

They taste like...burning

Tasted a bit like coffee.

Where is the sugar coming from?

From an addition of Rhizopus oryzae. It is a fungus used in making rice wine. The traditional method is to put rhizopus on cooled steamed rice and then add water after a day or so. The Rhizopus creates extracellular amylase and wild yeasts and other micro-organisms join in to feed off it thereby creating alcohol. It is an ancient Chinese method of fermentation.

I have been brewing all of my beers based on this method, but this is the first time I've put the Rhizopus in the fermenter. Previously, I would first saccharify the grains with the Rhizopus and then drain the sweet wort to use for brewing.

I am a bit worried whether the hops will inhibit the growth.

From an addition of Rhizopus oryzae. It is a fungus used in making rice wine. The traditional method is to put rhizopus on cooled steamed rice and then add water after a day or so. The Rhizopus creates extracellular amylase and wild yeasts and other micro-organisms join in to feed off it thereby creating alcohol. It is an ancient Chinese method of fermentation.

I have been brewing all of my beers based on this method, but this is the first time I've put the Rhizopus in the fermenter. Previously, I would first saccharify the grains with the Rhizopus and then drain the sweet wort to use for brewing.

Ahh ok, makes more sense now. I haven't used Rhizopus before, and I wasn't sure how the yeast was going to have any part in making this concoction an alcoholic beverage. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing the end result.

I then fermented it:
5.jpg

The light grey-brown layer at the top is the krausen. The black layer above it seems to be.... trub? The fermentation is carrying away happily albeit a slow complex process.

It sounds very interesting. I just wish the details had been stated up front instead of trolling with: Hey guys I burned some flour, can't wait to try the beer that magically results!

I guess brewing beer was too easy?

Actually, this has been the easiest brew I've made. Previously, it was more complicated with the multiple fermentations and all, but if this works it definitely simplified the whole process.

It sounds very interesting. I just wish the details had been stated up front instead of trolling with: Hey guys I burned some flour, can't wait to try the beer that magically results!

Haha, then where would the fun be? I had to build curiosity!

he was just building suspense!! thats different than trolling.

Exactly!

That looks disgusting.... but I am intrigued. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Me neither, I have some of my last all rice brew bottle conditioning now. I think I over-hopped that one, but can't be sure till it is ready to pour.

Why do you use fungus for saccharification rather than doing a traditional mash? Certainly that could be your easiest brew yet. I'm just curious.

I don't know what could be simpler than browning some flour and then boiling it with hops. But to answer your question, QuercusMax is correct. Well, at-least when I started brewing that was the case. Now, I know where to order all the basics online. I guess I am doing it this way just because I like it. It feels as if I am creating a more complex product or something.

I'd guess because he's someplace in China where it's difficult to get grains for homebrewing?

This is very fascinating, but I'm not sure I'd want to drink it.

Come on, beer is nothing more than yeast farts and piss with some hops thrown in! Why not add some fungus droppings in there too?

Latest posts

Back