10 gallon yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
I've made yeast starters based on white labs 2 pints water & 1/2cup dme method for 5 gallon batches multiple times with great results. Can I just double this to make a stater for a 10 gallon batch? 4 pints of water & 1 cup of dme with one vial of yeast? I looked at mr malty and it wasn't making a whole lot of sense to me.

day_trippr said:
That's a totally misleading title. I was expecting to read about some truly epic brew coming up that needed a 10 gallon starter...

Cheers! ;)

Sorry about that. I thought the same thing after I posted haha. It can't believe it says I need to make a 2 gallon starter though for a 10 gallon batch on yeastcalc.

I've been brewing 10 gallon batches, making 3 liter yeast starters with 1 1/2 cups dme (wyeast smack packs). I've done some of the yeast calculators that say that I should be using 2 packs of yeast, but I only use one. All the beer I've made have been fairly low gravity though.

Back