10 gallon lager starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
Smackpac wyeast danish 2042 i think it is. got it today, smacked it, dated 9/1/16 took about 6 or seven hours to swell. I dumped that in 2000 ml 1040 started on a plate. I looked at some online yeast calcs but i dont know how much yeast ill have. This is for a grolsch clone i hope to brew tomorrow. I also hope my starter dont foam out of the 2000 ml erlymerer flask. If i pitch at what i hope will be high krausen tomorrow midday ish ( 10-12 hrs on stirplate) will this be sufficient?

Not for 10 gal. my lager starters are 1500ml and I pitch that on 2.5 gal and then lager and keg it and repitch that on 10 gal. I say make small brews instead of large starters!

Mr malty says you will need 2 packs with a 5.7 liter starter. You will be close if you only brew 5 gallons.

I usually get to10 gal pitch rate with a 1liter then 4 or 5 liter step on a stir plate..according to brew united anyway. But basically like everyone else said, 2000ml starter isn't enough.

Damn. I wanted to brew it tonight. I guess ill wait till tom then and make a bigger starter thx. What kind of vessel u guys use for these big starters? Kinda wished i bought 2 pacs now. I guess ill do 5 gallons and throw the next on top of old yeast cake. I have a stir plate but not sure how big of a vessel it ll still work in .

Actually ill do 5 gal tonight and throw 10 gallons on cake i try to learn to use software better i guess but i love pen and paper napkin math better. Oh well 15 gallons sounds better then 10 anyways.

Oh i didnt realize 5000 ml would cover it. Now i have something to put on my christmas list.

Latest posts

Back