1 vial of yeast for 10 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to use 1 vial of yeast in a 10 gallon batch?

Yes. I do it all the time. You just need to build up the amount of yeast with a starter. As to the size of the starter, it depends on the age of the yeast and the OG of the wort. Consult mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator to determine the size of the starter.

I completely agree with Yooper, but you also have to be realistic in what your 10 gallon batch is.... that is why she says to use Mr. Malty. For example, I sincerely doubt you would be able to build up a single smack pack enough to make 10 gallons of a Belgian Dark Strong.... but 10 gallons of a pale ale is certainly possible.

Yes. I do it all the time. You just need to build up the amount of yeast with a starter. As to the size of the starter, it depends on the age of the yeast and the OG of the wort. Consult mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator to determine the size of the starter.

Thanks for the quick response. The OG is going to be 1.057 on Mr Malty I get a starter of 4.84l. I'm not sure if I am using the growth factor slider correctly though. The yeast is still fresh.

Thanks for the quick response. The OG is going to be 1.057 on Mr Malty I get a starter of 4.84l. I'm not sure if I am using the growth factor slider correctly though. The yeast is still fresh.

Right, thats why you would need to step it up a couple times. With that beer you need about 400 billion cells for the proper pitching rate. But if you stepped up a 2L starter, you would be pretty close to the 400 billion. Granted its doubtful that you would be all the way up to 400 B, but you would be pretty close with plenty of yeast to do the job properly without any appreciable negative consequences.

For 1.065 OG beer I routinely do a 4L starter with stir plate, yeast nutrient and no step up. Mr M is a guideline, you don't have to adhere to it exactly to make great beer.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a step up?

It's a second starter in an increased size. So you could do a 1L or 1.5L starter and then step it up to 4L.

People do this all the time when harvesting from bottles. You can't make a 2L starter from the tiny amount of yeast in a bottle conditioned brew, so you'll see people step from 50mL to 250mL to 1L, etc. The exact measurements will vary.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a step up?

Most people do not have a gigantic flask to do a 4L starter. So they start with 2L, let that ferment out for 24-36 hours, cool in fridge for 2 days, decant off liquid, then add another 2L of starter wort and fement that out for 24-36 hours, cool for 2 days, decant, then pitch into the main wort to ferment as usual.

Latest posts

Back