1 bottled and 2 more on...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link45

Reaction score
Tonight i got the Mexican Cervasa bottled, so will sit that out for 4 weeks to mature before i refrigerate a couple and see how they turn out, awful pale brew, hope it turns out alright. This is meant to be the Corona, or Mexican beer type, but they never turn out the same. I hope i don't end up with any bottle bombs either as temps here are still high.

I also put on 2 new brews at 23ltrs each tonight.

The first was a Coopers Australian Pale Ale with the Mangrove Jacks No 15 hops and sugar mix and provided yeast packet.

The second is a Brigalow Munich Lager with a Mangrove Jacks No 15 hops and sugar mix and the provided yeast packet.

Ill leave them 3 weeks and check gravity to see if its stable and then add finings and push to the 4 week mark before priming and bottling.

The OG on both were really different, the Brigalow ML registered at 1090, whilst the Coopers APA was at 1042.

This is the first time ive checked OG in a brew so will be looking forward to seeing how things turn out and learning how to register alcohol level in the next 8 weeks or so.

If any of you lot have any thoughts or learning for me, let me know, its much appreciated, thanks again.

Don't wait the 4 weeks to sample your Mexican Cervesa. It should be ready to sample after 2 weeks in the bottle. It might be slightly better in 4 weeks but probably not a great deal.

Your cervesa probably won't taste like a Corona for a couple reasons. You are likely using ale yeast instead of lager yeast. That alone will give a different flavor. The second one is that Corona is typically bottled in clear glass and as soon as it is exposed to UV light, it begins to get a skunky odor from the reaction of the hop oils to the UV light. Pour your cervesa into a clear glass and take it out into strong sunlight for several minutes and you will get the skunky odor as you will by doing that with any beer.

When I started brewing I didn't make top quality beers. I still may not but my beers are much better now because I control the fermentation temperatures better. If you don't control the temps for at least 3 to 4 days, your yeast will produce some off flavors, some of which will never go away. Most of my beers now spend nearly a week at 62F. and then are warmed to room temp for the remainder of the fermentation period. I like to leave my beers in the primary fermenter until it is time to bottle and I consider 3 to 4 weeks a good amount of time as it lets a lot of the suspended yeast settle out in the fermenter instead of going to the bottle.

Don't wait the 4 weeks to sample your Mexican Cervesa. It should be ready to sample after 2 weeks in the bottle. It might be slightly better in 4 weeks but probably not a great deal.

Your cervesa probably won't taste like a Corona for a couple reasons. You are likely using ale yeast instead of lager yeast. That alone will give a different flavor. The second one is that Corona is typically bottled in clear glass and as soon as it is exposed to UV light, it begins to get a skunky odor from the reaction of the hop oils to the UV light. Pour your cervesa into a clear glass and take it out into strong sunlight for several minutes and you will get the skunky odor as you will by doing that with any beer.

When I started brewing I didn't make top quality beers. I still may not but my beers are much better now because I control the fermentation temperatures better. If you don't control the temps for at least 3 to 4 days, your yeast will produce some off flavors, some of which will never go away. Most of my beers now spend nearly a week at 62F. and then are warmed to room temp for the remainder of the fermentation period. I like to leave my beers in the primary fermenter until it is time to bottle and I consider 3 to 4 weeks a good amount of time as it lets a lot of the suspended yeast settle out in the fermenter instead of going to the bottle.

Thanks again RM, ill check the gravity after 2 weeks.

Correct me if im reading this wrong, but the kit most possibly added an 'ale' yeast, and if i were to use a 'lager' yeast the cervaza might be closer to a corona or mexican type of beer?

Its interesting to hear about the clear bottles, tell me more. I typically bottle in old 355ml corona bottles with all my brews. Is there anything i should know about that vs say the brownish bottles? i sort of figure they would be the same because they both let the light in? For me i like to see the clarity and color of the beer, as well as when i pour it out into a glass for drinking i can leave that small amount of sediment at the bottom without adding it in. Im all ears for better ideas though for sure.

Another question, how do you keep the beer at 62F (16C) for the first week, and what is your take on 'room temperature', what F? This i would like to get right for sure if it effects the processes.

Im also adding in finings (just gelatin) once the gravity is the same or on the 3.5week mark for a couple of days to help clear, your thoughts on that are also appreciated too mate.

Its great learning from those a lot further down the track than me, i am employing a lot of this into my processes. Fact is, i enjoy brewing to create something, but also its hard to actually find a great tasting beer suitable to my taste preference, and im shocked at the rubbish some folk drink that is popular, really tastes bad. Its all about the taste for me, a good food and a great beer and or wine.

You have to do what you have to do to keep the beer cool while it is in the initial stage of fermentation. I only brew in winter as I have too much going on in the summer to have time for brewing. During winter I have a second bathroom that is only used when we have guests and if I keep the door closed it will be 62 degrees in there. I use an infrared non-contact thermometer to monitor my beer and at the peak of fermentation activity the beer will rise to about 64 degrees in there. The temperature doesn't have to be exact but should be near the bottom of the range that your yeast prefers and not all yeast prefer the same temperature. The majority of the ale yeast will be fine in the low to mid 60's but Nottingham does better at cooler temps (cleaner flavor) while Belle Saison would prefer low to mid 70's with a rise to 85 or higher to finish.

Yes, since Corona is a lager, you will get closer to its flavor by using lager yeast but only if you can ferment it at the proper temperature and at the right schedule. You would have to look up that schedule for your yeast.

Once the fermentation slows down, the temperature control does not need to be as good so I bring my beer to an area in the house where it is 72 but anywhere that is above 65 should help as the yeast will no longer be generating much heat and may quit working if they get too cool.

Clear bottles let in quite a bit of UV light which can skunk beer but the chemical that is put in glass to turn it brown absorbs the UV so it protects the beer. Keeping the beer in the dark protects it too so my bottled beer sits in boxes that are covered until I am ready to drink it.

You have to do what you have to do to keep the beer cool while it is in the initial stage of fermentation. I only brew in winter as I have too much going on in the summer to have time for brewing. During winter I have a second bathroom that is only used when we have guests and if I keep the door closed it will be 62 degrees in there. I use an infrared non-contact thermometer to monitor my beer and at the peak of fermentation activity the beer will rise to about 64 degrees in there. The temperature doesn't have to be exact but should be near the bottom of the range that your yeast prefers and not all yeast prefer the same temperature. The majority of the ale yeast will be fine in the low to mid 60's but Nottingham does better at cooler temps (cleaner flavor) while Belle Saison would prefer low to mid 70's with a rise to 85 or higher to finish.

Yes, since Corona is a lager, you will get closer to its flavor by using lager yeast but only if you can ferment it at the proper temperature and at the right schedule. You would have to look up that schedule for your yeast.

Once the fermentation slows down, the temperature control does not need to be as good so I bring my beer to an area in the house where it is 72 but anywhere that is above 65 should help as the yeast will no longer be generating much heat and may quit working if they get too cool.

Clear bottles let in quite a bit of UV light which can skunk beer but the chemical that is put in glass to turn it brown absorbs the UV so it protects the beer. Keeping the beer in the dark protects it too so my bottled beer sits in boxes that are covered until I am ready to drink it.

ok, great, learning plenty and will have to make some changes, thanks again for taking the time out to explain things to me, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back