1.090 Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
Newby question. I'm trying to wrap my head around using the hydrometer that I don't have yet, but will order. I'm looking for an SG reading of 1.090, as I understand it. And when my wine in secondary fermentation reaches 1.090, I should add potassium sorbate and campden to stop fermentation?

And what happens if/when I miss that mark?

The more I read the more confused I get. But I'm getting there. Somehow, I'm getting there. I hope.

Newby question. I'm trying to wrap my head around using the hydrometer that I don't have yet, but will order. I'm looking for an SG reading of 1.090, as I understand it. And when my wine in secondary fermentation reaches 1.090, I should add potassium sorbate and campden to stop fermentation?

And what happens if/when I miss that mark?

The more I read the more confused I get. But I'm getting there. Somehow, I'm getting there. I hope.

Your wine in secondary will NOT be 1.090. More like .990.

You really can't stop an active fermentation. Trying to stop active fermentation is like trying to stop a freight train. And, even if you're successful by stressing the yeast, stressed yeast puts off a lot of off-flavors that would sometimes cause poor flavor in the wine.

Normally, it's best to let the wine finish completely. Rack (siphon) off of the lees into a new carboy as needed. Once there are no new lees (sediment) after at least 60 days, the wine can be stabilized at that point with campden and sorbate, and then it can be sweetened to taste.

Neither sorbate nor campden kill yeast. Campden is used primarily as an antioxidant by winemakers after fermentation begins, and sorbate works better in the presence of sulfite. Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction. That means in an active fermentation, when the yeast don't need to reproduce, it will do nothing. That's why it doesn't stop an active fermentation.

It's beginning to make sense. So with a reading of .990 after 60 days or so in secondary, and after racking, that's when I'd add sugar to bring the reading up to 1.090? Any idea how much sugar that would require for 1 gallon, which is what I'm making.

It's beginning to make sense. So with a reading of .990 after 60 days or so in secondary, and after racking, that's when I'd add sugar to bring the reading up to 1.090? Any idea how much sugar that would require for 1 gallon, which is what I'm making.

No. I don't know where the 1.090 idea came from, but that'd be like maple syrup sweet.

You want your wine to START at 1.080-1.100 so that you have 11-13% ABV in the wine. Once it's fermented out, you can sweeten to taste. I don't have a sweet tooth at all and don't drink sweet wines, but a dessert wine would be in the 1.030 area while a semi-sweet might be more like 1.010, and a semi-dry 1.000.

You put your wine into secondary from primary when fermentation slows, and it's under 1.010 or so, and let it finish. Then, you rack every 60 days or so if you have some sediment, or whenever you have lees 1/4" thick. Once it's completely clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all, then it can be stabilized and sweetened to taste and then bottled.

the 1.090 number came from Jack Keller's website. I just re-read his info and determined that 1.090 is good for reaching proper preservation levels. So I misunderstood. My bad.

the 1.090 number came from Jack Keller's website. I just re-read his info and determined that 1.090 is good for reaching proper preservation levels. So I misunderstood. My bad.

Oh!

No, that's completely true. He's starting about measuring the SG before adding yeast. An OG (original gravity) of 1.090 is generally about perfect for most fruit wines.

After that, the SG will drop, usually going to .990 from there. That means there is enough alcohol in the wine to help preserve it so it will age and not spoil.

Since I have added yeast and am a day or two into secondary fermentation, is there a way to know the level of gravity reached prior to adding yeast? Prolly not, huh.

Since I have added yeast and am a day or two into secondary fermentation, is there a way to know the level of gravity reached prior to adding yeast? Prolly not, huh.

No, but you can guess at it if you post a recipe. Some things, like some fruits, are variable in sugar content but some, like table sugar, don't vary.

If you've racked, and fermentation has slowed down, you're probably under 1.000 now.

Here's my simplified recipe:
Mash & simmer 7 pounds of muscadines in stainless container for 10 minutes (I did this using 1/2 quart of distilled water.)
I dissolved 4 cups of granulate sugar in 1 quarts of distilled water and added to must.
After cooling to 105-degrees, I added pectic enzyme.
Wait 12 hours and added Red Star Premiere Cuvee Yeast.
Wait 24 hours and stir twice daily for 5 days.
(During this time, must received adequate oxygen.)
Transfer to secondary fermentation with airlock.
Made 1 gallon of wine.
I have about 2 cups of extra stored in a bottle for topping later.

Here's my simplified recipe:
Mash & simmer 7 pounds of muscadines in stainless container for 10 minutes (I did this using 1/2 quart of distilled water.)
I dissolved 4 cups of granulate sugar in 1 quarts of distilled water and added to must.
After cooling to 105-degrees, I added pectic enzyme.
Wait 12 hours and added Red Star Premiere Cuvee Yeast.
Wait 24 hours and stir twice daily for 5 days.
(During this time, must received adequate oxygen.)
Transfer to secondary fermentation with airlock.
Made 1 gallon of wine.
I have about 2 cups of extra stored in a bottle for topping later.

Next time, don't heat your fruit. Cooking the fruit makes a "cooked fruit" taste, plus sets the pectins in it (think jam). the pectic enzyme will help.

Anyway, the muscadines are the wild card here. They can vary greatly in sugar content, based on ripeness and the amount of sugar changes based on weather also.

Still, there is 4 cups of sugar, which is nearly two pounds. So, two pounds of sugar alone in one gallon would give an SG of 1.075ish just from that.

So, it may have been quite high, and I think over 1.090. Still, pretty good guess probably at hitting 1.090-1.100.

Next time, follow one of these techniques/recipes (and read the acid reducing tips under the recipes as well): http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp

But if it was 1.090, it would have reach a good state of preservation, right? As for the fruit, I picked very ripe fruit as much as possible. I only have two vines: Southland and Black Jumbo. The vast majority of the fruit came from the Black jumbo vine. I didn't freeze, but kept it refrigerated until I had 7 pounds.

I have read very little on cooking verses not cooking. I've made very, very good muscadine jelly, so I figured why not cook it for wine too.

I think the main difference in Jack's recipe and mine is the cooking and he used 1/2 quart of water more than I did. Last year was my first attempt at winemaking. I didn't try very hard and the result was a very watered down, very fermented tasting wine. Not good. So this year I used more fruit and less water.

Thanks for your time and advice. Very much appreciated.

Back