0 minute hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Brewed several over the years, but this one is a first for me.

I am brewing the Luckiest Man Pale Ale from NB next week. It has a 0 min hop addition. I've never brewed with one less than 5 min so my question is, how long do I leave this in?

My usual practice is to pull my hops out at flameout. Do I need to hang this in another bag and leave it in till I transfer over to the carboy, or is there some general rule of thumb amount of time to go by?

Thanks much,

Ken

I usually run everything through a strainer when transferring to primary, so flameout additions stay there through the cooling process. It's up to you really.

I leave it in through chilling. You can do a hop stand if you prefer though.

This ^

Definitely do a hopstand, that's the way modern day Pales and IPAs are brewed. You can extend that hopstand for a long time (15-90') anywhere between 165 and 190°F. The lower, the less hop oils fly off, and the less additional bittering.

Do a search for hopstand or whirlpool (hops).

I'm actually glad to see my early brewing days concerns regarding 5' and 0' hops finally being addressed: They don't get wasted! :D

this is the way I do as well. I just don't like having all the vegetable matter in primary.

I love the convenience of using a hop spider. I typically pull the boil hops out at flameout. I'm a lil curious if it's common practice to do this, or do most people leave them in till it's time to transfer?

For my personal preference of bitterness and flavoring, I'm satisfied with my process, just curious what it compares to with others on the forum.

I'm personally not a strong hop person, but I'm making this for some co-workers as a way to introduce homebrew. I handed them a Northern Brewer catalog and told them to pick out a beer they would like and I would brew it for them. I cringed when I seen the one they picked out required 3 ounces of hops with the last ounce being in the secondary. Hard for me to tell if my process was sufficient when I can't stand to drink it. I guess I'll shoot for clarity to be my deciding factor. lol

With the ingredients that are supposed to be here Tuesday, there will also be a new grain mill in the box. I'm looking forward to using the monster mill 3 for this batch. This will be the first for me, so I hope I don't screw up a good batch of beer with a bad grind and turn these guys off.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think with this batch, I'm just going to add the flamout hops to the rest of the hops and leave them all in. They tell me they like bitter beer, so I'm going to deliver it the best I can.

I always dump everything from the brew kettle into the fermenter, hop sediment and all.

and this right here is what I'm talking about. at this point it's personal preference. it's not going to harm your brew if you dump hops & all into the fermentation vessel. nor is it going to hurt if you strain them out. ol' Mad Max here dumps all in and I'm sure his beer turns out just fine. if you're looking to bump the IBUs, a clean bittering/dual purpose hop would gain more benefit early in the boil. what are some beers they like as a comparison?

I've never pulled hops out before I've finished chilling and transferring to my fermenters. I do adjust my hop schedule to reflect additional bittering depending on my temperature during whirl pooling. Same thing for orange peel, don't pull that either.

I never pull out before I'm finished anymore. But then again, I don't always do hopstands. When I do hopstands, I've done varying things, really just depending on what I feel like doing. Sometimes I've kept all the additions before that in the bag, but throw the hopstand additions right in. Sometimes I put them all in the bag. Sometimes I squeeze the bag, sometimes I just let it drip into another sanitized container. If I'm not doing a hop-forward style, I bag everything. But if I don't care about harvesting the yeast, I don't teabag at all - everything just goes in the pot, and later into the fermenter.

So as Billy said, it really is just a matter of preference.

Back