☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ba-brewer, did you taste a blackberry note when it was fresh roasted? All of the batches I roasted of that bean, had a very prominent blackberry flavor when fresh. I will smell the green tomorrow and let you know, but off the top of my head, I don't recall any fruit funk smells. Makes me want to send some to you!
@applescrap, I am not opposed to getting anymore of that Kona from Greenwell farm via Burmans'. I think it is a very good specimen as far as my experiences are concerned. I ordered with several others and they have reported that they are especially enjoying it. I won't rush out to get it, as it's $35 a pound green, but still not opposed to it. I am still more favorable to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, and most Ethiopian coffee. I do like to try new or unfamiliar coffee, and will "splurge" every once in a while!

Yes, whole heartedly agree with you on the level of roasting! Burning the flavor out of the beans is not how I like my coffee, and yes...I normally stop my roasts while they are in first crack or shortly after first crack has ended. I might be a bigger fan of "Charbucks" IF I liked burned beans!!! LMAO!!
@Curtis2010...I am thinking you should share some of that "misfortune" with all of us here!!:D

Thanks @Ruint, No fruitiness of any kind, did not get the chocolate notes I did on the first roast either. I have another pound left to play with so maybe I will get it come through still.

Both of these had a nice fruitiness to them;
Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Sidama Keramo,
Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Sidama Bombe.

Yes, whole heartedly agree with you on the level of roasting! Burning the flavor out of the beans is not how I like my coffee, and yes...I normally stop my roasts while they are in first crack or shortly after first crack has ended. I might be a bigger fan of "Charbucks" IF I liked burned beans!!! LMAO!!
@Curtis2010...I am thinking you should share some of that "misfortune" with all of us here!!:D
Como no? ("Why not" basically, a popular Panamanian expression). I could probably ship some local green beans your way.

I have several friends with small coffee fincas who produce excellent coffee, but not in commercial quantities...no other way to get this stuff than to know a local.

Wanna give it a try?

Chiriqui is also where the renowned "Geisha" coffee is grown...poohy, its like tea...give me a cup of real coffee!

Como no? ("Why not" basically, a popular Panamanian expression). I could probably ship some local green beans your way.

I have several friends with small coffee fincas who produce excellent coffee, but not in commercial quantities...no other way to get this stuff than to know a local.

Wanna give it a try?

Chiriqui is also where the renowned "Geisha" coffee is grown...poohy, its like tea...give me a cup of real coffee!
I'd love to try some small producer coffee like that!

And thank you for continuing to be the most interesting man in the HBT world!

Wanna give it a try?

If I could get in on this too, that would be awesome! @Ruint and I live close enough to each other we could split beans to save on shipping too.
Damn you are an interesting man like @TallDan said!

@TallDan, I am roflmao!!! Most interesting guy!!! O Tay!!
@Curtis2010, I'm very interested in trying to set a little shipment up. As you can see, have to send enough so we could do a share once it got here! Let's see what you might be able to come up with....

Ok. I will see what I can set up. Its cruising season for us now, so on the boat for a few months, but I can probably still coordinate something.

It will be much simpler, and less expensive, for me to ship to one person in the USA. Who wants to be that person?

I also have a friend in Bermuda who is a coffee roaster. He imports green beans and roasts locally for resell. He still has a place in Panajachel, Guatemala...thats on Lake Atitlan (a high altitude lake, 1,000' deep, surrounded by volcanos...an incredibly beautiful place)...thats in the Guatemalan highlands where some of the most awesome coffee in the world is grown. He can certainly source some interesting options for you. He imports not just Guatemalan coffee, but world wide from small growers. Ive tried his roasts from Guatemala, Honduras, India, and Ethiopia.

An interesting phenomena in the highlands of Guate. Awesome coffee is growing all around you, but outside of tourist areas its hard to get a cup because its all exported. The little local resturants only serve instant coffee! [emoji2961] The locals, mostly Mayans, pick all the coffee, but dont typically drink it (they dont like it and cant afford it).

My wife and I used to road trip all over Guate in my Jeep. Because of the above, we carried our own coffee maker and a bag of Dieseldorf Kafe (awesome coffee from the Alta Verapaz region of Guate...another breathtakingly beautiful area of Guate...high altitude cloud forest).

https://www.dieseldorff.coffee/inicio/

Where did you get the dp ethiopians?

Last night made decaf cafe au laits. They were so good. What a treat, need to drink more decaf. Feels like cheating or something, like im soing something i shouldn't be.
Thanks @Ruint, No fruitiness of any kind, did not get the chocolate notes I did on the first roast either. I have another pound left to play with so maybe I will get it come through still.

Both of these had a nice fruitiness to them;
Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Sidama Keramo,
Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Sidama Bombe.

I smelled the green Nicaragua dry process this morning. IMHO, I didn't smell a noticeable funk. I would say it was a fairly typical green coffee bean smell, but had a faint blackberry'ish aroma.

On another note I brewed up the Panama Esmeralda Gesha this morning. No mistaking the jasmine notes in it. The aroma of it is a soft pink bubble gum, just like they (Sweet Maria's) said. LoL.... kinda different!! Very nice cup of coffee!

@Curtis2010, if no one else objects, I can be the single person to send to. Let me know what you find and then pm me for particulars.

I smelled the green Nicaragua dry process this morning. IMHO, I didn't smell a noticeable funk. I would say it was a fairly typical green coffee bean smell, but had a faint blackberry'ish aroma.

On another note I brewed up the Panama Esmeralda Gesha this morning. No mistaking the jasmine notes in it. The aroma of it is a soft pink bubble gum, just like they (Sweet Maria's) said. LoL.... kinda different!! Very nice cup of coffee!

@Curtis2010, if no one else objects, I can be the single person to send to. Let me know what you find and then pm me for particulars.
Ok. I will see what I can line up and then let you know. Any preferences or just what I can get?

Where did you get the dp ethiopians?

I got them from Sweet Marie's when I got the Nicaraguan dry process coffee.

Thanks for checking. I just roasted coffee so will give it another try next roast session.

Got after it today. Drank two iced yemen light roast esspresso drinks. And made wife a cappuccino, dare I call it that. Still clumsily made the yemen is old worldly and funky. Cant wait to get back to my beloved dp ethiopian, starting with bl aricha for sure if they still have some. Yemen is almost gone, thats all I have.

I've been pretty absent around here with other "life" things going on. Looks like I'll be moving in the next few months so that should be interesting. There will definitely be a span of time where I won't be able to roast; hoping it's weeks and not months. Going to kill me to put the Bullet away and buy roasted coffee for a short while!

Lately I've just been roasting through coffee I've had for a while; the most interesting thing I've had recently was Honduras Finca Ana which I bought through Legacy. It's from a neighboring farm. I would say it's not quite as good as Legacy's stuff, but still really nice. It took about 5 days of rest but it took on a really nice silky caramel flavor which brewed up great in the drip machine.

Why you moving HTB? May be none of my business but, moves are stressful enough, without having to futz around trying to get good coffee. If I can alleviate that for you, I'd be happy to hook you up a care package, just would need a ship to location.

I've been pretty absent around here with other "life" things going on. Looks like I'll be moving in the next few months so that should be interesting. There will definitely be a span of time where I won't be able to roast; hoping it's weeks and not months. Going to kill me to put the Bullet away and buy roasted coffee for a short while!

Lately I've just been roasting through coffee I've had for a while; the most interesting thing I've had recently was Honduras Finca Ana which I bought through Legacy. It's from a neighboring farm. I would say it's not quite as good as Legacy's stuff, but still really nice. It took about 5 days of rest but it took on a really nice silky caramel flavor which brewed up great in the drip machine.
Hope your move goes smoothly and your roasting hiatus is short lived.

Why you moving HTB? May be none of my business but, moves are stressful enough, without having to futz around trying to get good coffee. If I can alleviate that for you, I'd be happy to hook you up a care package, just would need a ship to location.

Cool ruint, cool. Ill pitch a pound in for the homie.
^This^ I’d be happy to contribute to the Keep HTB Caffeinated fund too.

moving is one of life's most stressful events.. lots of work & surely a few unexpected's along the way. count me in for a coffee care package too.

in other news - my kitchen scale got fried by water after a few years of faithful service. i picked this one up on Amazon for $18. It's geared for pour over coffee with a timer & a backlit display. It reads quickly & seems to be fairly accurate. Comes with a rubber/silicone cover & runs on 2 AAA's. After a week of use I'm happy with it, esp. considering the price.

scale.png

That looks like an awesome score @jammin! I have 2 scales that I have gotten, and not happy with either truth be told. One for weighing/timing espresso shots, and the other for just overall weighing purposes. It is drifting often, and is temperamental...

Wow, 18 dollars has kept me from a digital scale all these years. Smh.
moving is one of life's most stressful events.. lots of work & surely a few unexpected's along the way. count me in for a coffee care package too.

in other news - my kitchen scale got fried by water after a few years of faithful service. i picked this one up on Amazon for $18. It's geared for pour over coffee with a timer & a backlit display. It reads quickly & seems to be fairly accurate. Comes with a rubber/silicone cover & runs on 2 AAA's. After a week of use I'm happy with it, esp. considering the price.

View attachment 667360

Speaking of deals how is that less expensive burr grinder working for everyone. I was going to reccomend it to my friend a casual coffee drinker

I'm game for sending @HarborTownBrewing some beans too. No need to buy when you have friends in a roasting thread!

On a side note I picked up a canned brew on a half priced sale just to try it out and actually liked it. I'm not sure that I would buy it often or even at all at full price. Do you guys have any canned or bottled brew favorites that are better than average? I had this...

LaColombe.jpg

Whoa, you all are super generous! Needed to hear some of these good vibes tonight all, I appreciate everyone here more than you might know.

Moving away from the city to be closer to family and get closer to the things I care more about. Ive been here over a decade now and it was fun but it's not my scene anymore and it's not worth the stress and anxiety I get here. These days I'm more into fishing, relaxing in the quiet, working on my truck, and all that. Tough to do that in one of the biggest cities in the country,that's for sure!

If I need a coffee favor in the not so distant future I'll be sure to let you guys know and repay it in due time. Thanks everyone!

Im about to do the same. Same reasons almost a mirror image. The helicopters and shootings arent encouraging me to stay. If I could make what I do now in fl I would probably be there in a second. On the coast, beachfront. Only problem is how do you explain your 250w amp and b and ws to the neighbor. Come to think of it, I am sure my neighbors are going to love the coffee roasting. Brewing....I might need the house across the street. Anyways looking just a pinch more out of city, community pool and open space etc.

I cant wait to get some aricha
Whoa, you all are super generous! Needed to hear some of these good vibes tonight all, I appreciate everyone here more than you might know.

Moving away from the city to be closer to family and get closer to the things I care more about. Ive been here over a decade now and it was fun but it's not my scene anymore and it's not worth the stress and anxiety I get here. These days I'm more into fishing, relaxing in the quiet, working on my truck, and all that. Tough to do that in one of the biggest cities in the country,that's for sure!

If I need a coffee favor in the not so distant future I'll be sure to let you guys know and repay it in due time. Thanks everyone!

So was about to buy the aricha and this popped up on roastmasters. This story sounds fantastic. Man read this, 85 farmers each with small acre lots bring their coffee to this private station. They hand sort then float in water taking only the ripest beans. The water float reveals density iirc. Then they dry over 20 days or whatever only when conditions are optimal. Money goes right back to them I think. Not sure hiw right this all is just recalling but, dang. I will let you know when I get it. They also had the aricha.

I don't know if it is going to taste as good as it smelled, but I did a dry processed Rwanda today that, in it's descriptor from Sweet Maria's, says blueberry jam and maraschino cherry. While roasting it, I would say you could definitely smell the maraschino cherries all around. Looking more for the blueberry aspect, but didn't detect any in the aroma.....

Last edited:
This morning I was awoken by the wife, who was rather excited about the coffee. My wife's cup was tainted with Italian sweet cream. She won't break from that, no matter how much I try!!!! LoL!!! It pretty much tasted like someone did a 50/50 mix of cream and sugared coffee with maraschino cherry juice. My cup, unbelievable maraschino cherry mixed with a slight roasted coffee flavor. On the very backside a light tease of blueberry. Hoping it comes forward a bit with maturing...

Sounds amazing will have to give dry process a try from other countries!
This morning I was awoken by the wife, who was rather excited about the coffee. My wife's cup was tainted with Italian sweet cream. She won't break from that, no matter how much I try!!!! LoL!!! It pretty much tasted like someone did a 50/50 mix of cream and sugared coffee with maraschino cherry juice. My cup, unbelievable maraschino cherry mixed with a slight roasted coffee flavor. On the very backside a light tease of blueberry. Hoping it comes forward a bit with maturing...

@juggabrew...sorry friend, I do not know of a good coffee review site. Over on home barista they have a topic for coffees and give reviews there more often than we do on this thread. We talk about coffees here on this thread, and maybe recommend some once in a while. Usually after we have tasted them, after we roast them. Do you home roast your coffee? Maybe some of the other folks that frequent here can chime in more positively. We also do group coffee buys on rare occasions....

Thats a great question. Because of the way coffee comes and goes I wonder if that would make it hard to have a site dedicated to reviewing coffee that may or may not be available. That said I fancy myself as my own reviewer and many of the others here I would trust their reviews this well. Most the places we buy coffee from review the coffee as well and that is the source of much information about quality.

This week bodhi leaf has all El Salvador Coffey's on sale at 25% off

There's so much variability in specialty coffee that it's not easy to provide a useful review. You could provide some general impressions, but what a reviewer tastes may not be anything like what you taste if you get the same coffee from the same batch and the same roaster. Different roaster? All bets are off. Different water? Different brewing equipment?

Wait! Are we talking about reviews for green coffee? roasted coffee? drinks prepared at a coffee shop? prepared and prepackaged cold brew in bottles and cans? AAAHHH!

It's more like providing tasting notes for hops than a review for a finished beer. And we see this in how the coffee sellers provide tasting notes. But, we understand that the hops can be used different ways, are only part of the finished product, and the tasting notes are subjective.

Last edited:
Speaking of tasting notes.... @ba-brewer, any change on that Nicaragua bean? Has it been another week yet??? I roasted some for myself on the 22nd, as I am getting to the bottom of my bag. I hooked a friend up with some of that bean, told him to try it fresh and then sit on it without touching for 3 weeks. He is able to get back in that bag on the 1st of March. He did tell me that it was a fantastic BlackBerry coffee when he first sampled it....so we'll see what he gets in few days more time.

Back