☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and I see...shall we say....something phallic, albeit a bit disproportioned (trying to be family-friendly here).
[emoji1]

Sitting here waiting on pre-heat to finish....got the Crown in...lol. Took a dinner break in between the previous roast of a different Ethiopia. I got it from SM, it is the Guji Shakiso Hambela Dabaye, and tasting the beans, promises to be a fairly peachy cup!!! Psyched for that!!!

Banko from @jammin arrived today!

Giving Half Pint my #1 chaff licker some loving while roasting some. Looking forward to trying this.
Thanks brother!

21D41942-DEEC-49A1-A9DA-AF0E6D9F8A29.jpeg
0F2F474B-8C2B-4F2F-AA87-623B2EF91C71.jpeg

I'm roasting some Banko this morning! Woo hoo!
I'm doing two test roasts of 1/4lb each. One to Full City, one to Full City +.
The wife tends to like a bit darker roasts but she still gets the nuances of the origin flavor, so we'll see which she prefers (blind test).

My first roast had a bit too much momentum at the start & lagged heading towards 1C. Overall the times/temps look OK & I’m excited to try it tomorrow.

Been drinking the Hangadhi this week & dang that stuff is good.

Edit: Made an 8oz Aeropress & even with less than 24hrs rest you can tell its good coffee. Very nice sweetness, just enough acidity & good berry content. Im looking forward to seeing how cleans up come Mon/Tues.
Here's the curve - next roast ill charge 5* lower (360* vs 365*) and postpone decreasing gas heading to 1C. Id like to see a shorter time% in browning & a more vigorous 1C.
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 3.40.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for adding more info on that @jammin! I am thinking that I'll do a lower preheat on my next roast. I preheated hotter than what I wanted due to a reboot on my laptop resetting my controls, back to a level that I had set for a previous roast, and I didn't catch it before dropping the beans. Good thing it was only 500 grams! LoL!! I did a taste test on it this afternoon and it was still impressive and smooth. Very drinkable, and believing it will be phenomenal with the correct roast! Might actually see how this roast does for espresso...

Roasted two batches last night while my Sister and her family were visiting. My BIL and (grade school aged) nephews were very interested in the process. The nephews liked operating the sampler and levers to charge and drop the beans. Unfortunately, I paid more attention to them than the coffee and left the heat off for the first 4 minutes of the roast! Hopefully it will still be drinkable, maybe even a learning opportunity.

upload_2019-8-4_0-18-54.png

Roasted another batch after that, with the plan being for my BIL and sister to take it to drink for the next week while continuing their travels. But this morning when they were packing things to leave, the coffee and the french press they were going to borrow was forgotten!

My first roast had a bit too much momentum at the start & lagged heading towards 1C. Overall the times/temps look OK & I’m excited to try it tomorrow.

Been drinking the Hangadhi this week & dang that stuff is good.

Edit: Made an 8oz Aeropress & even with less than 24hrs rest you can tell its good coffee. Very nice sweetness, just enough acidity & good berry content. Im looking forward to seeing how cleans up come Mon/Tues.
Here's the curve - next roast ill charge 5* lower (360* vs 365*) and postpone decreasing gas heading to 1C. Id like to see a shorter time% in browning & a more vigorous 1C.
View attachment 638615
That makes sense. Dont want to give to much heat to the exterior of the bean as its drying. I like the time for this roast and suspect it will have a lot of berry flavor. Please keep updating, because I am curious how dense it is as well and may consider slowing green to yellow as well. Lately I have been back to full power straight through. Going 70 seconds approximately after 1c. I do not charge and that may help me with the full power.

Tried hard to get a shot of this. Tried with two cups but that is cold brew that was extracted over 48 hours on counter. Ethiopian dry process guji, poured over ice and milk added. I diluted these a little and that I think affects the swirl too. Super good.
Screenshot_20190804-213616_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190804-213610_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190804-181649_Gallery.jpeg

Anybody getting blueberry from the recent Banko? If so, I'd be curious to know how you roasted it. I tried 1/4lb like I did on previous batches but the wife didn't get any blueberry from it.

In the meantime, I'm pulling a smooth shot of Brazilian decaf.
IMG_20190808_083833.jpg

Update from my post a few days ago. I noticed the following day or two after my post of watery coffee, my brewer would stop brewing halfway through. I reached out to Bonavita asking them what I should look at to address this problem since I had just cleaned the unit on 7/1 only a few weeks ago. They recommended I run the Dezcal through it again and if it didn't help they would ship me a new unit. Well, I ran Dezcal again through the coffee maker and have been using it for a week now and the coffee is much better and the brewer no longer stops before its finished. So now I know I need to descale my coffee maker a little more frequently. :coff3:

Also, I have to say Bonavita's support is amazing! They were very quick to respond, they were willing to replace the unit even after it being a year and a half old without any hesitation after trying one simple troubleshooting task! I would recommend their products, support and service to anyone b/c they truly stand behind their products!

Well, I ran Dezcal again through the coffee maker and have been using it for a week now and the coffee is much better and the brewer no longer stops before its finished. So now I know I need to descale my coffee maker a little more frequently. :coff3:
That's great to hear! I could have sworn you had said you had recently cleaned it though, maybe I'm making it up.

I had to run a vinegar solution through my Cuisinart a few months ago for the first time ever. I have had it for about 9 years, but we hardly use it, maybe once a week. Speaking of, I need to descale my Gaggia.

Anybody getting blueberry from the recent Banko?]

ive been working with this coffee for almost a week now and i haven't picked up any definitive berry notes ... until this morning (about 1 week post roast). ive been brewing it in the chemex-kone setup and this morning I ran it through the v60 and ground the coffee on my monolith flat. this cleaned things up substantially and i can also tell there is room to speed the roast up finish at slightly lower temp.

hoping to roast another pound today or tomorrow. last roast was 9:14 overall with a finish temp of 401.3 (1C temp = 391.3) so a total of +10* development. Id like to cut this overall time down to 8:00/8:15.

That's great to hear! I could have sworn you had said you had recently cleaned it though, maybe I'm making it up.

I had to run a vinegar solution through my Cuisinart a few months ago for the first time ever. I have had it for about 9 years, but we hardly use it, maybe once a week. Speaking of, I need to descale my Gaggia.
I clean fairly often and use whatever store has. My goodwill gevalia chunker and the espresso. Remember when I barfed in Vail on mildewy machine. Now I am hypersensitive and if it goes a week or two unused I empty water and leave lid open. But anyways I have been using oxy and asked before if anyone had or knew about it. But yeah a weak solution left to soak. Stronger in pot. And then rinsed a million times after that. Was amazed what came out.

ive been working with this coffee for almost a week now and i haven't picked up any definitive berry notes ... until this morning (about 1 week post roast). ive been brewing it in the chemex-kone setup and this morning I ran it through the v60 and ground the coffee on my monolith flat. this cleaned things up substantially and i can also tell there is room to speed the roast up finish at slightly lower temp.

hoping to roast another pound today or tomorrow. last roast was 9:14 overall with a finish temp of 401.3 (1C temp = 391.3) so a total of +10* development. Id like to cut this overall time down to 8:00/8:15.
I like your thinking, a lot. I have gotten closer to 10 percent as well and it is safe, but maybe too safe. Less is where I think many of my roasts were at with that timer. But it is such a knife edge. One side perfect, one side slight green. So then I traveled down the path of less air and heat in the beginning to ensure there was enough moisture out to leave no green in core but that's tricky at the finish. And that's the moment where I figure i need a better machine, and or at least a thermometer for goodness sake, and of course more skill.

So back to full heat I went. Not so bad but less than 10 percent will bring out more berry. I suspect this is where the professional machine takes over vs throwing darts in the dark. I can say that at some point after 1c. with the last dp berry Ethiopian I could smell berry. I want to leave that in the coffee not out. Not surprised berry flavor showed up a week later as well. Havent drank much coffee lately but will roast some soon.

Just to make sure I am calculating this right, iirc the last two roasts I have tried for 70 seconds past 1c. 1c was at 1030 and finished around 1130ish. So 11.5 x 60 to get seconds. 690 seconds leaves 10 percent 69 seconds.

And thanks again, cant wait to drink it. Super cool.

i roasted the Banko Gotiti last night as well but wasn't stoked on the roast. after thinking about how happy i was with the Ichamama profile i decided i would use that on the Banko in hopes of getting the same curve. this Banko is very stubborn at taking in the heat during the browning phase and makes getting to 1C quickly quite challenging.
i fired up the roaster again this afternoon not because im needing coffee but because i really wanted to dial in the roast curve. i hit it with that same profile and could hardly get it to budge through browning. so i did ANOTHER pound with even MORE heat. this was better but still not exactly what i want. so the next roast of it will be my 5th pound and im scorch these sh|ts if have to haha

so here's the profile for my 4th attempt:
10.6% loss, 8:18 overall. 37sec development (7.4%)
Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 4.18.50 PM.png

My advice to others roasting this bean would be push your heat limits as drying is wrapping up & keep your foot on the gas until you're very close to 1C. stop the roast shorter than normal. this coffee doesn't seem to need a lot of development to sweeten it up or mute the acidity.

I'm not sure if I updated but I roasted the Banko to. I was going to describe it but I think the Burmans did it better. I think they said it really well that this bean will produce a fantastic cup of coffee no matter how it is roasted. Haha I screwed up.

So I wanted to take this really light. I was around the corner where I was roasting screwing around with the garden trying to Kill The Beatles. Next thing I know, I was like what's that sound, oh s... its the coffee cracking. So I didn't know when it started or how long. Pulled it as it was nearing end. Chocolate and spice with jammy hints. Full bodied. A lovely cup indeed. Next I might pull it 30 sec after 1c.
Screenshot_20190815-220056_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Not roast-related, but I got the OXO cold brew maker since I had some extra Amazon GCs laying around and wow, what an upgrade over my nutmilk bag-in-1 gal fermenter setup. Seriously delicious concentrate out of this thing.

Looks like it will do the job well! Pretty cool to have a counter top brewer. I love cold brew too, any tips on ratio and grind. Is it wrong I drink it straight :)

Looks like it will do the job well! Pretty cool to have a counter top brewer. I love cold brew too, any tips on ratio and grind. Is it wrong I drink it straight :)

I've only used it once so far and I used the included suggested ratio, which is 40oz water to 10oz coffee, coarse grind. This made around 24oz of concentrate and I've been using 2oz per drink, with around 6oz water or milk. It's potent stuff. So about 12 cups of cold brew per batch.

I've been finding out how finicky espresso shots can be. Same beans, same grind, but tamping at different 'strengths' produces very different shots. Too hard-packed and it's bitter. Not hard-packed enough and it can be a bit weak. The variability of the tamping is tough to nail down (for me) to get consistent but when it works, oh man the shot is tasty. And when it's bitter, I add steamed milk and have a cappuccino!

Good point, I didn’t know there were multiple models. I will be placing the order so....going with the behmor 1600AB plus from sweet Maria’s.

Good point, I didn’t know there were multiple models. I will be placing the order so....going with the behmor 1600AB plus from sweet Maria’s.

Only one currently available, I think. The jake is supposed to be more than 5x the price of the 1600 when it’s released.

My doctor told me that I had to cut way back on my coffee, so I dropped from 4 cups a day to one, and switched to cold-brew because it supposedly extracts 67% less acid. I couldn't see the point in making it extract so I make it regular strength. After messing around with ratio's, I ended up with 150 grams of coarse grind coffee per gallon to get a strength my wife and I both like. After 24 hours I pour it into a gallon pitcher through a Wilser hop bag.

This has worked great for a summer when we enjoy cold coffee. We'll see if adjustments need to be made after the weather cools down and we start heating the coffee...

Btw, I bought THIS coffee grinder. The grind isn't as uniform as I was expecting (first burr grinder), but I can't complain about the taste and the price was right. I wanted to run it with my drill so I looked for a socket that would fit the shaft. 1/4" was too small, 9/32" was too big. It didn't make any sense until I noticed that it was a 5 sided shaft, not 6!

Last edited:
Back