☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll play:

2022: 64.75
2021: 48.5
2020: 63.5
2019: 48.5
2018: 38.5
2017: 40.5
2016: 40
2015: 37.5

That's all pre-roast weight in pounds. I think my usage was very consistent, but my wife's usage of home roasted coffee has been the variable in the above.

212lb in 214 batches roasted on my Mill City since i got it in April 2019. I had 168lb / 350 batches in my spreadsheet for the behmor in 2015-2019, and if i recall correctly, maybe 10-20lb before i started tracking it in January 2015.

Has anyone bought any beans recently that really impressed you? I’m looking for any suggestions.
I’m going to need to place an order probably sometime mid to late February.

My wife got an espresso machine for Christmas and loves it. She got hooked at our daughter's house and they gave us one. The daughter uses store bought beans and says her homeroast wasn't really suitable for espresso because of the oil content. I noticed that when we first started using it my beans were several weeks old and the machine worked great. But now I have freshly roasted beans and the espresso takes forever to make-it's very good, but it goes very slow. Is my daughter right about the oil, and will I have to start buying beans for my wife's espresso? Daughter has a high end unit, we have a starter level machine.

Try grinding a little coarser and/or using less coffee in the basket.

Not sure what you’re referring to with oil content. Home roasted coffee is just as good for espresso as commercially roasted as long as you like the taste of it.

I'm hoping this is a blueberry bomb without specifically calling out "bomb" (though subtly implying it a bit?). 10 lbs headed my way, I'll report back after I've tried it. It's been a looooooong time since I had any blueberry bombs.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-yirga-cheffe-mengesha-farm-7368.html
I finally got around to roasting this last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

The blueberry definitely comes through heavy in the aroma but does manage to also show up on the tongue as well. Not the most blueberry forward one I've had, but honesty probably the most complex of them because there are so many complimentary flavors in this coffee that are balanced so perfectly. After about 5 days of rest I noticed it take on a chocolate/caramel backbone which was a really pleasant surprise.

All in all I'm glad I picked up 10 pounds of this, though I know we will struggle to work through it because most of what we drink are the "leftovers" I bag for others. I have to make a point to enjoy this coffee while it's still fresh though.

My wife got an espresso machine for Christmas and loves it. She got hooked at our daughter's house and they gave us one. The daughter uses store bought beans and says her homeroast wasn't really suitable for espresso because of the oil content. I noticed that when we first started using it my beans were several weeks old and the machine worked great. But now I have freshly roasted beans and the espresso takes forever to make-it's very good, but it goes very slow. Is my daughter right about the oil, and will I have to start buying beans for my wife's espresso? Daughter has a high end unit, we have a starter level machine.
I don't know the science of it but I do know that well rested coffee always did much better for my espresso than fresh. I would usually not pull shots from anything younger than 2, preferably 3 weeks.

Not sure about oil content. I hardly roast anything past 18 percent development and get amazing shots. Or if you go to a third wave coffee shop, they are pulling shots with light roasted coffee. One of my best shots was a 13 percent developed Kenyan that was about 3 weeks post roast. There was no oil there!

I don't know the science of it but I do know that well rested coffee always did much better for my espresso than fresh. I would usually not pull shots from anything younger than 2, preferably 3 weeks.
that’s a good point. It’s hard to get a good espresso if the coffee is too fresh. Unless you go out of your way buying commercially roasted coffee, that’s rarely a problem. But for home roasting it’s a different story.

The primary issue with coffee that is too fresh is that it has a bunch of co2 in it. It’s less than ideal with any brew method, but more noticeable with espresso. I wouldn’t expect that to necessarily lead to a slow shot though.

Been away for awhile.

I agree for drip is the same.
Supposedly "freshness" is a real thing but so is "rested" coffee a thing. In my experience I have enjoyed fresh roasted coffee less when brewed within 10 days of roasting, than when brewed after that. I think It needs to be rested for optimal flavor, and I am not sure why. The whole reason I got into this damn thing was because a buddy told me coffee was going bad after 14 day from roasting. I do not think that is true any more.

To me, the main problem I have with most coffee is that they roast the **** out of it and all the character is gone, only the roast character. Its analagous to steak cooked well done vs medium rare.

On top of that is just bad beans, bad roast, no idea what good coffee is, or how to make the most from what the coffee beans that you have. Many variables there too.

Bottom line for me, I know what I like and what I don't, AND I know how to make what like for myself, but hard to find it elsewhere.

That said, I found a NEW coffee place! Its called "The Standard" They make good coffee. I do not think they roast their own. I think is a small chain here in FL and perhaps in MI also. One roaster they feature is called "Ligature" I think this roaster and may be just one person I think, has a similar perspective as I do when it comes to roasting. He seems far better at it than me however. Check out the website I think you can search on it. The scheme seems to be lighter roasts without being underdeveloped to enhance sweetness and fruit and other character without being "Roast character" dominant. Certainly this week at two of their shops I had shockingly great coffee that was sweet not bitter and very smooth and aromatic.

This new coffee shop I think features micro roasters that rotate each month, and there are shops nearby at least two of the offices I work at! This month is "ligature" like I said I think its been central american and south american origin. The roasts have been light with smooth and sweet and some fruity flavor. This afternoon cup was a little watery brew for my taste as compared to the brew from this morning. They give $1 refills after initial purchase and I can be there and back to my main office at 2 different offices in less than 10 min. but otherwise been very happy with having a GOOD commerical coffee shop!!

This weekend I plan to roast and get back into it. I been too lazy lately.

I got some of the Sweet Marias Ethiopia DP Benti nenka. The beans are extremely small, and I am worried it is going to screw with the roasting.
Has anyone roasted these yet or have advice? The beans are so small I think they will spill out of the drum ends and burn

BTW- I have mostly given up homebrewing and only post to this coffee thread anymore

TD

@TrickyDick i also haven't been brewing, probably in two plus years. Now that my baby is 14 months it's pretty impossible - if I'm in the kitchen, he wants to be there too and be held.

Coffee roasting is so rewarding for the time it requires (compared to brewing). There was a time we never bought beer but now days drinking an old home brew is special.

Been away for awhile.

I agree for drip is the same.
Supposedly "freshness" is a real thing but so is "rested" coffee a thing. In my experience I have enjoyed fresh roasted coffee less when brewed within 10 days of roasting, than when brewed after that. I think It needs to be rested for optimal flavor, and I am not sure why.
BTW- I have mostly given up homebrewing and only post to this coffee thread anymore

TD
I let my coffee rest about 4 days before I drink the first cup, then it takes another 2 weeks to finish each batch. After roasting I put the bucket of beans in the laundry room so I can smell when the beans are ready to use. I really don't notice any difference between the 4 day mark and the 15 day mark.
With retirement and moving to a new town, where we live in the woods pretty much by ourselves, I have gone from having a dozen different homebrews on tap to 4 maximum. Instead of 20 gallons a month I brew 10 gallons every 2 or 3 months. But after 20 years I've never quit roasting coffee-when my first Behmor died I tried to quit but the wife got pissed off and insisted I buy another. Gotta do what she says, right?

Too funny! My wife does not drink coffee so its just me. ditto on beer. I got like 10 kegs of sour beer from 2014-2016 never been tapped. Maybe needs to be dumped.

So in other news, my Baratza (I think been bought out by Behmor??) Vario grinder bean hopper broke (again) and they sold me their new design hopper which didn't fit and cost more. I kinda pissed about it. Last time it broke they sent a free one, this time they make me buy one that didn't fit or work at all, then I got to buy new upper burr holder to use it. then they say oh we have the old style hopper, well, why the heck not just sell me that one in the first place!! The website is wonky too and couldn't find the old style hopper. So in the end, I bought the new style hopper, the new burr holder, a new ceramic burr (One of my original burrs was chipped from factory but I use steel burrs now anyway, but maybe someday want to have a set of ceramic just in case) plus two of the old style hoppers since they eventually break. I figure I have a lifetime left on the parts. Around $100 for all those parts. Great grinder.

I gave my LHBS all my bottles - most new in box intended for bottling all those sour beers, but they never carbonate right in bottles so that is why i never used them. He runs a mill street roaster and he gave me a bunch of India Monsooned he called it. some greens and some he roasted. It was quite nice for someone who likes light roast. Smooth and not overly roasty, although he said he stopped about 15 sec into second crack. Was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Taste it before you dump it. I have one tap dedicated for sour/brett beers in one kegerator, this spring I'll brew some sort of wild ale, probably brett something or other to let sit for the 4 months I'll be traveling.

6BBA99B4-B773-44C1-A5A5-2E93CCF19A0B.jpeg

Seem like I bought Sweet Marias Ethiopia DP Benti nenka twice, once in June and again just recently. I was assuming they are the same beans even though the current beans has a July arrival on the SM page but looking at the label they have different lot codes and descriptions. I have not roasted any of the latest purchase but I don't recall having issues with the previous beans falling thru the drum(I roast on a quest). If you are concerned about beans falling thru your drum give them spin without heat.

I still have some of the previous purchase and the beans look of similar size to the new purchase and they also seem about the same size of other Ethiopian beans I have on hand. They are for sure quite small compared to normal Central American beans.

IMG_4793 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4794 - Copy.JPG

I was planning to roast some of these beans in a couple days along with a different Ethiopian coffee but now I am thinking about doing the old and new lots to see if there is a difference.

@TrickyDick Try keeping it a little slow so they don't rush into 1c early. I like to stretch out development on Ethiopians like this - it helps bring out sweetness and also prevents the small beans from going into 1c too soon.

Regarding potential for them to come out the front, I've had this before with the Bullet as well. Before your preheat, try pulling the drum toward the front of the roaster just to make sure the air gap is as minimal as possible. I believe there's a guide from Aillio on how to adjust the drum/spacing but it's been a while since I looked into it.

Hope this helps a bit, please do post your results.

I roasted the Sweet Marias Ethiopia DP Benti nenka beans the other day. I did do both lots I have and tried to roast them the same way. I did the older beans first and it came into first crack at about 8min but it was very soft and did not really get going hard. I dropped after 1min15sec and it was still cracking. I thought maybe it was the age of the beans(had for over 6months) but the second or latest batch roasted about the same. The picture below is the roasted coffee, quite a bit of variation in color so possible the reason for the softer first crack.
IMG_4795 - Copy.JPG

I roasted 4 central american coffees and a different Ethiopian coffee prior and I was getting first crack at about 8:30 with the first few crackles of second crack about 12min when I dropped the beans. The Benti nenka beans were about 30seconds faster into first crack for the same roaster setting, dropped before second crack though.

I have not tried it yet, I generally give my dry process coffees a few days rest before trying them. I roast 6 different coffees in a session and rotate through them so I have something new each day.

There can be some variation in dry process coffee but that is quite extreme. The fact that the coffee had a July arrival and still available probable says something.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread...

Just placed an order from coffeebeancorral.com for local pickup. I had no idea there was a coffee broker just 22 minutes from my house.
February SAMPLER February Coffee Sample Pack
Colombia: Don Enrique Reserve, Narino Qty: 1/2 lb bag (sample)
Ethiopia Organic Sidamo Shantawene Natural G1 Qty: 1/2 lb bag (sample)
Mexico: La Laja Honey, Tlaltetela, Veracruz Qty: 1/2 lb bag (sample)
Java: Organic Taman Dadar, Kayumas Qty: 1/2 lb bag (sample)
Papua New Guinea: Organic Purosa A/X, Eastern Highlands Qty: 1/2 lb bag (sample)
$17.50

HAITIBUNDLE Haitian 3 Lb Bundle
Haiti High Elevation Blue Pine Qty: 1 lb bag
Haiti High Elevation Marre Blanc Qty: 1 lb bag
Haiti High Elevation Savanne Zombie Qty: 1 lb bag
$24.00

SubTotal: $41.50
Discounts: -$0.00
Tax: $3.32
Shipping: $0.00
Handling: $0.00
Grand Total: $44.82

to me that is a crazy looking roast outcome. How did it taste?
I tried the coffees and I think the older beans were better. It had a decent fruit punch and herbal tea like aroma (geisha coffee like), the herbal tea was the predominant flavor when hot shifting to a light chocolate as it cooled. The new beans were similar but more muted and less fruit, it had the same chocolate flavor as it cooled. Both had decent body and only a slight touch of acid.

I am pretty sure I didn't mix up which beans were which but I sort of wonder if I did.

@TrickyDick Try keeping it a little slow so they don't rush into 1c early. I like to stretch out development on Ethiopians like this - it helps bring out sweetness and also prevents the small beans from going into 1c too soon.

Regarding potential for them to come out the front, I've had this before with the Bullet as well. Before your preheat, try pulling the drum toward the front of the roaster just to make sure the air gap is as minimal as possible. I believe there's a guide from Aillio on how to adjust the drum/spacing but it's been a while since I looked into it.

Hope this helps a bit, please do post your results.
Haven't roasted any in a while. Will post results. Drum spacing sounds like no fun. I always get some beans that fall out of the drum somehow.

Haven't roasted any in a while. Will post results. Drum spacing sounds like no fun. I always get some beans that fall out of the drum somehow.
Yeah it sounds like a bigger pain than it is. I need to do a deep clean and probably will adjust mine a bit. If I ever get around to it I'll post the process here for the Bullet guys.

I picked up my order yesterday from coffeebeancorral.com and roasted my first batch of coffee beans.

They sell what they call seasoning beans that are cheaper than the other beans. I bought a 3# bag of these seasoning beans to practice with.
My new SR800 roaster seemed to do a good job of roasting the beans. I then poured them in a canning jar to off-gas for a day. This morning I ground some up and SWMBO and I had our first cups of home roasted coffee. She said it was better than Waffle House, which is high praise for her because she has always said that Waffle House made the best coffee. I was surprised at how easy it was to roast coffee at home. The roaster I bought came with two sample packs, and I had already bought another sample pack, along with some individual samples based on what I thought I'd like using their Coffee Bean Matrix which lets you filter their selection of coffees based on different flavor attributes.

IMG_0269.jpeg

Last edited:
Tell me about your roaster there.
Instead of me trying to explain this roster, since I've only used it twice now. Let me link to a YouTube video where somebody else made a beginner's guide for it.
Details and cost: Fresh Roast SR800 Roaster <--follow link.

My second roast details.
IMG_0272.jpeg

Awesome @major JC. Good to hear your first roasting session turned out so good. You have a lot of fantastic coffee tastings in your future! Definitely try the coffees you roast at different finishing levels, meaning some light (city) and then some darker levels (city+, city++). That is with every coffee too, as you might like African coffees at a lighter roast, and Latin American coffees a little darker. Welcome, any way you choose, to flavorful coffee. Look forward to hearing more of you journey!!

I love it he lighter roasts especially the Ethiopian dry process stuff with the fruit flavors and bit of acidity. Occasionally mix it up with darker American beans with chocolate flavors. A local guy had some monsooned dark roast that he gave me to try and was so smooth compared to other dark roasts. Would be good for blends too.
So much to explore.

TD

Ok bullet users! Yes I'm talking to you @Ruint and @HarborTownBrewing but I'm not sure who else here has one. I believe I will be able to pull the trigger on one myself next month or early April! Woohoo!

With that said, do you Bullet users have any advice or suggestions on things to order along with the roaster? I know I will need to buy some cheap beans to season the drum. I see Sweet Maria's sells some of the items for it such as the plug, filters, baskets, bowls, tool kit, etc... Would you say any of those items are a necessity? Is there any particular cleaning solutions or supplies worth getting too? I plan to do my research over the coming weeks but figured there's no harm asking friends here what they would suggest. Thanks in advance!

@pshankstar whoa whoa whoa, I thought we had an unofficial deal that you'd be taking my Bullet someday! To go alongside my previous grinder and Behmor... :p

In all seriousness the Bullet is an amazing roaster and I've never regretted purchasing it. In terms of "extras", I don't really think you need to get anything additional. The package should come with everything you need - those parts sweet Maria's sells are for if you break or wear out something that originally came with it. For instance, I purchased a new chaff filter eventually because after probably about 750 lbs I was really struggling to get my filter clean.

So yeah that leaves you with buying seasoning beans. I just purchased the cheapest beans available when I placed my next Burman order, so I think it was their $3.99 Brazil and it did the job. Doesn't need to be labeled as a "seasoning bean" like some distributors do. Other than that, you don't need much extra - I clean mine with simple green and have a shop vac handy to handle the loose chaff.

There is as steep a learning curve as you want it to be with the Bullet (like any fully manual roaster). I have gotten perhaps a little comfortable with the same few profiles and haven't experimented a ton, but there are resources out there where very qualified people share what they are doing. These would be worth reading (fb pages, Aillio forum, reddit, etc).

Happy to share more if you have any questions or hesitations. I've been a big fan of the product and their support in the five years I've had mine.

@pshankstar whoa whoa whoa, I thought we had an unofficial deal that you'd be taking my Bullet someday! To go alongside my previous grinder and Behmor... :p

In all seriousness the Bullet is an amazing roaster and I've never regretted purchasing it. In terms of "extras", I don't really think you need to get anything additional. The package should come with everything you need - those parts sweet Maria's sells are for if you break or wear out something that originally came with it. For instance, I purchased a new chaff filter eventually because after probably about 750 lbs I was really struggling to get my filter clean.

So yeah that leaves you with buying seasoning beans. I just purchased the cheapest beans available when I placed my next Burman order, so I think it was their $3.99 Brazil and it did the job. Doesn't need to be labeled as a "seasoning bean" like some distributors do. Other than that, you don't need much extra - I clean mine with simple green and have a shop vac handy to handle the loose chaff.

There is as steep a learning curve as you want it to be with the Bullet (like any fully manual roaster). I have gotten perhaps a little comfortable with the same few profiles and haven't experimented a ton, but there are resources out there where very qualified people share what they are doing. These would be worth reading (fb pages, Aillio forum, reddit, etc).

Happy to share more if you have any questions or hesitations. I've been a big fan of the product and their support in the five years I've had mine.
Haha you’re right, the unofficial agreement looks to come to an end. 🤣 It’s nothing personal it’s not you but me. I’ve been eyeing the bullet a few years now & with some new changes I’m in a spot to drop the money on it. Plus I’m looking forward to being able to roast more coffee each time. It will save a lot of time when I want to roast some extra coffee for the kids teachers for gifts and gifts for friends and family.
Thank you bud for the insight! That’s very helpful to know. I was curious about the filters, so it’s nice to know they last a while.

Has anyone bought coffee bags with valves of Aliexpress, Alibaba, etc? Or anything else? I was thinking of buying a smaller amount like a thousand which would last me a lifetime. Or would sell some off to others here if interested. I’ve bought some from Amazon but I was thinking this would be a much cheaper alternative if it’s worth it.

I’m just curious if anyone has had any experience with these platforms good or bad.

Cheapest valve bags I've seen without a minimum order is Burman. I usually order a hundred from them whenever I place my order. Price went up a little but I think it's still only about $.40/bag

This morning I roasted 1/2 pound of MEXICO ORGANIC CIRSA FTO Chiapas

I kept waiting for first crack to end, but the popping sound never slowed down. I think it moved into second crack as first crack was still going. Is this possible?
I was shooting for a medium roast, but I think this went more into the medium-dark range. What do y'all think?
This is a Mexican coffee from the 2021/2022 harvest year. Coffeebeancorral.com sells this "past crop" for $5.00/lb, so I thought I'd give it a try, but I'm wondering if being older made it roast faster than the current harvest year beans.

Coffee_roast_4.jpeg

@MajorJC it is possible to go from first crack into second crack without a quiet time, coming into first crack too hot can do that.

Old beans can roast different sometime they will can have a softer first crack which makes it harder to hear if your roaster is noisy.

Last edited:
Back