☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take the same approach, preferring plain-old black coffee. Never been much of a coffee drink guy. I usually make it in a 1L press. If I'm in a hurry I have some reusable inserts for our Keurig--load up with freshly-ground and pop it in the machine. We have a Clever Dripper, but haven't used it in a while, so it sits in a kitchen cupboard.
I tried several reusable Kuerig devices and never got a cup of coffee I thought was remotely good. I sold my Kuerig machine 4 years ago so maybe the reusables are better now.

I tried several reusable Kuerig devices and never got a cup of coffee I thought was remotely good. I sold my Kuerig machine 4 years ago so maybe the reusables are better now.

To me it's good but not great. You were probably spot-on, as there aren't many variables you can work with on a Keurig. I just use it for my morning joe. Pressed or pour-over coffee is much better, especially with a fresh grind of good home-roasted.

The trouble with the Keurig reusables is that it barely holds enough coffee to yield anything more than an 8oz cup. I can fit maybe 15g coffee into one, which, at the 1g/16ml ratio I like means no big cups. If I want to fill up a big yeti mug for the road I need to run it twice.

Edit: These are the reusables I have. But they're probably not much different than the ones you used.

524294E8-F7E0-4C7B-A71A-8DC28EEEFF25.png
I know I tossed this idea out few weeks (maybe months ago) about some people trying to buy the same bean and report back tasting notes. Maybe even roasting notes too.
Do any of these tickle anyones fancy? It’s todays email from Sweet Maria’s.

I saw the email too. It does sound good.

I am over my limit already, but last year I almost ran out of dry processed Ethiopian so I bought some anyways. How fast things disappear from sweet maria's you need to buy when you see it or might be too late.

I did buy some of the Mexican and the dry processed Honduran coffee you posted a little while back. I have not roasted any of it yet, I will do those on my next roast in about a week.

I would be open to trying to purchase the same coffee and share roast notes. I think the hardest part would be getting things coordinated unless we did something like the royal jewels type things. I missed out the royal jewel coffee before mostly because I prefer to buy only a few pounds of particular coffee vs 5 or 10lbs. I roast mostly Central American coffee and Ethiopian, might be easier to do a Central American coffee if people were to the buy coffee direct vs how the crown jewel was done in the past.

I'm with you on the Central America and Ethiopia coffees. Those seem to work the best for me. Just finished a 10 lb. lot of Ethiopia a few weeks ago, it was one of my favorites.

Always had good luck with Guatemalan, too.

Just started into some El Salvador, first time. These beans go through development phase real fast--didn't expect that. I usually go about 20% development time, but with these it ended up well into med roast at 20%, farther than I wanted to go. A bit too roasty. Will back off to maybe 16-18% next batch.

Roasted the first pound of the Ethiopian Bombe and seems to be the biggest blueberry Bombe ive had in years.
Nice!! It appears to be sold out otherwise I would have ordered some.

Speaking of fruit bomb beans. The Klatch Ethiopian Wush beans I roasted the last batch super light and the basil character on the description is strong with this super light roasted bean. I’ll be sure to roast it a little darker again to get the blueberry characters and no basil.

by the end of the year, I’ll be through using my past crop overbought surplus of beans. Roasted Java beans on Sunday along with bookisa and Bombe and silcho bedame special process. Never had that last one turn out as great as I was hoping it would. Fun to try though,

Roasted some more of the El Salvador Apaneca. Last time I let it go too far, as these beans somehow absorb heat much faster than previous varieties I've roasted. This time, I moved the gun a little farther, and once it reached browning stage, farther yet. Another difference is that by the time I hear first crack, these beans are a little darker than I expected. Roasted to about 18% development time, got what (I think) is a light roast. Total time roasting was about 8 minutes. Will grind and try some later.

If these still taste too roasty, I might just go 1C + 1:00 next time.

I wonder if these beans from Royal Coffee are worth trying? At $9 per pound before taxes and shipping I might give it a go but the 11 pound box is a lot of beans for me. I usually get 5 pounds at most. The other thing is the beans appear to be a year old according to their information. I wonder how they store these beans that have been around for a while?
What are peoples thoughts on this deal?

Man have I been awol from this site. Anywayyyssss...

Today I pulled my first shot of espresso in probably over a year - went with India Mysore Nuggets and it produced a delicious shot. Even though the Gaggia has been sitting idle this whole time, it didn't miss a beat.

Gotta make a habit to be more regular on this site again. The lack of app has been the killer for me, along with busier work and less slacking. Life's tough! 😉

Ordered from Mill47 a few months ago. They ship their beans in these little boxes, really horrible method, lots of beans escape or are too tough to get out of the box. They also don't store well, at least not in my system since all other people I buy from use bags.

Oh well, coffee was fine but the boxes were bad enough I won't order from them again. Here's a picture of the bottom of a box I was finishung today.

20220629_122828.jpg

Ordered from Mill47 a few months ago. They ship their beans in these little boxes, really horrible method, lots of beans escape or are too tough to get out of the box. They also don't store well, at least not in my system since all other people I buy from use bags.

Oh well, coffee was fine but the boxes were bad enough I won't order from them again. Here's a picture of the bottom of a box I was finishung today.

View attachment 773424
Welcome back stranger. 🤣
Yeah I wasn’t crazy about the boxes either. Moved two pounds to a ziplock bag and the other three pounds into food saver bags until I burned through the two pounds in the ziplock bags.

Someone bought us some coffee as a gift, it was a nice thought. It's from a roaster I hadn't heard of but I guess is known.

Did not expect much, but was really disappointed by the quality of the beans - I had a few beans fall out of the bag and only one was a whole bean. Same thing happened the next day, and the next.

Here's today's sampling... These are 5 random beans that came out of the bag. No joke.

20220713_083315.jpg

I wonder if these beans from Royal Coffee are worth trying? At $9 per pound before taxes and shipping I might give it a go but the 11 pound box is a lot of beans for me. I usually get 5 pounds at most. The other thing is the beans appear to be a year old according to their information. I wonder how they store these beans that have been around for a while?
What are peoples thoughts on this deal?

I believe these are all warehouse stored but they store in grainpro bags so humidity isn't a real issue. Coffee holds up fine for over a year as long as it stays dry.

I buy their 20lb crown jewel boxes and usually have one open all the time. They are great value for the quality. Aside from some of the places selling very rare lots, these are some of the best coffees available in smaller quantities. I've had good success buying boxes priced at $5-6/lb. from them. They are great coffees that would sell for a few bucks more per pound elsewhere. Twenty pounds is a lot of one coffee but I own a Bullet and roast 800g batches. Usually two roasts at a time to make heating the roaster more energy and cost efficient. They sell those in smaller quantities but at the premium they charge you're at basically the same price as Sweet Maria which has a lot of comparable offerings.

What’s the origin of the coffee? I’d be more surprised if a reputable roaster sold coffee like that from Colombia than Yemen.
Oh, it's a blend. It's crap coffee roasted dark and labeled different blends but it all tastes similar - like roasty coffee.

One of their descriptions, "for this blend we sourced one of the most unique beans we've roasted to date: a naturally grown, honey processed, Castillo varietal". Read: Colombian. Hardly anything unique, at least for any of us.

I guess they've got a market, good for them.

I know I've posted about roaster exhaust before but I'm going to mention it again. I changed the filter to my inline fan the other day, and this is how dirty it is after 3 lbs. Just 3 lbs!!!

Do what you need to do when you're roasting, but do take care of your lungs too.

That said, I've got to step outside for a cigar ;)

20220808_155746.jpg

That is a lot of residue for just 3 pounds of coffee and Harbor Town Brewing's advice to "take care of your lungs" came just as I had learned about a potential danger from the roasting process. I was watching a YouTube video the other night about "popcorn lung", which has been known for some time as an occupational hazard for workers in plants that produce microwave popcorn and, to a lesser extent, people who pop a lot of the product at home. The problem comes from the compound, diacetyl, which is well known to us brewers as a byproduct of the fermentation process. Diacetyl is used in microwave popcorn to impart a butter flavor.

The problem for the factory workers came from breathing the diacetyl fumes which, with enough exposure, causes an irreversible obstructive lung disease known as bronchiolitis obliterans. The video went on to cite other sources for this airborne diacetyl, which included coffee roasting! I did a little research to see just how much of a problem it might be for home roasters and, despite the fact that commercial roasters know of the risk and have taken measures to minimize exposure, there didn't seem to be a clear answer on how much exposure is too much.

I found some discussion about this on some of the home roaster sites, but I don't know how widespread this knowledge is among home roasters. I am currently using a Behmor which doesn't have a means to vent to the outside and I wonder what sort of risk I may be taking in the winter when I'm roasting in a closed garage. While I don't roast large quantities, I am considering the purchase of a roaster with outdoor venting capabilities just to be on the safe side.

@Minky you may be able to vent your Behmor if you want to work at it a bit. I had rigged one up a while back when I had mine. While I don't have any pictures of exactly what I did, I found a couple other pictures that'll give you the idea.

Essentially I took of the back/top vent cover piece and screwed on a piece of thin metal I cut in a rough circle shape with a square hole cut for the exhaust to come out.

Then I glued a 4 inch duct connector piece to this flat metal piece. And to that I connected flex duct that went to a dryer vent cover that I put into a 1x12,which I then slid into a window whenever I would roast.

Below are a couple pics showing the flat metal piece that the duct had been glued to. And then also a pic showing how I ducted out through the window. (never mind the bullet, it was a similar setup for my Behmor back in the day).
Screenshot_20220820-132021_Chrome.jpg
20180710_200050.jpg

Good idea, HTB
I do a lot of my own fabricating and it occurred to me that that sort of thing would be possible and I just may do something like that. Of course, I have been compiling a mental list of reasons to justify the purchase of another roaster (330 degree max, afterburner heat dip, no chaff removal, etc.) and that may end up being the thing that finally makes me pull the trigger on something new. The Bullet is looking better all the time!

I was just surprised that, after all the years I have been roasting, I was totally unaware of the diacetyl issue and thought it would be a good idea to share the info with others who may also have been unaware.

Just placed an order for greens, and I'm starting to see increased coffee prices. The same beans I bought last year are up anywhere from 10% to 25%. Same bean, same supplier, just a new year. I had a feeling it was coming but was hoping it wouldn't be that large of an increase.

I sell bags on the side for hobby money (it pays for other hobbies) but I'm feeling a little less motivated if there's going to be less money to be made. The people I sell to are friends and I know everyone is feeling a little more squeezed these days. Sure, I could up the price a buck a bag, but I guess I struggle with that on principle.

The underlying factor here may be my 8 month old who is very adorable but also very needy, and I feel stretched thin enough.

Anyways, was curious if anyone else is seeing greens that haven't gone up too hard yet. The places I looked at today were Burmans and Sweet Maria's. Both had similar increased prices - I'm sure its across the board.

@HarborTownBrewing I haven’t looked into it but now it makes me wonder… Maybe I’ll pull some of my old invoices and make a spreadsheet??? 🤔
I was starting to run low on beans and decided to buy from Burman since it’s been a while. They had a Labor Day shipping deal and some beans on sale too. So why not get 2lbs of various beans?
E274D06F-81D4-4E84-8EA6-44C348222E0E.jpeg

I have a spreadsheet to keep track of the green beans I have on hand. I keep track of the purchase date and the last roast of the coffees I have and use that to help determine what I am going to roast.

Also helps to figure out what I should order. I keep my beans in igloo cooler that can hold about 33lb and still close the lid. When I hit about 20lbs I order more coffee to fill it back up.

Has anyone bought from Coffee Bean Direct? If so, what’s your thoughts on the ?
Their prices seem reasonable but I’m not sold on what I’m seeing regarding the beans. Maybe I’m just used to Sweet Maria’s, Burman, Bodhi Leaf, etc…

I use oxyclean clear free in my coffee pot stainless steel carafe and works well too. Run some water through the machine into the carafe to get it nice and hot then let it sit for a while. I think it needs more than 10min though.

Last edited:
After a lifetime of putting it off, I'm finally reading Out of Africa. I'm an avid reader and this one kept slipping down my list, but now it's forefront.

Not sure how it will turn out, but she (author) owns a coffee plantation in Africa. Just a suggestion. She has 600 acres of coffee trees.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this is a blueberry bomb without specifically calling out "bomb" (though subtly implying it a bit?). 10 lbs headed my way, I'll report back after I've tried it. It's been a looooooong time since I had any blueberry bombs.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-yirga-cheffe-mengesha-farm-7368.html
They score it pretty high. Even if it’s not a berry bomb, it will probably be a pretty good coffee with at least some berries. I’m deciding between 10lb or going crazy for 20.

Between @HarborTownBrewing initial post of the delicious Ethiopian bean at SM’s and @TallDan joining the party, I was feeling some FOMO. 🤣 So I just pulled the trigger on these beans.

Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm
SKU: GCX-7368-005
5lbs

Kenya Kiambu Fram Farm Peaberry
SKU: GCX-7272-002
2lbs

Guatemala Xinabajul Producers
SKU: GCX-7318-002
2lbs

Nicaragua Jinotega La Bastilla Estate
SKU: GCX-7355-002
2lbs

Java Dry Process Kuningan Robusta
SKU: GCX-7286-002
2lbs

Zambia Mafinga Peaberry
SKU: GCX-7304-002
2lbs

I think I picked some good variety. I’m hopeful next year I can upgrade to the Bullet roaster. Then I’ll be buying minimums of 5lbs beans. 😬

It’s been slow around here.

Tonight I did some work to my Encore grinder. The ring burr holder broke last week, two of the three tabs broke and the third was partially broke. So I decided to buy the M2 burr plus a new ring burr & holder. Not a bad repair but a bit time consuming mainly with getting the shaft out. Now it’s grinding consistently!

It’s crazy how noticeable the coffee tasted when the grind was so inconsistent!

It’s been slow around here.

Tonight I did some work to my Encore grinder. The ring burr holder broke last week, two of the three tabs broke and the third was partially broke. So I decided to buy the M2 burr plus a new ring burr & holder. Not a bad repair but a bit time consuming mainly with getting the shaft out. Now it’s grinding consistently!

It’s crazy how noticeable the coffee tasted when the grind was so inconsistent!

I'm thinking I had the same issue with the tabs breaking, a long time ago. Come to think of it, once I changed the holder it was indeed noticeable how much better the coffee was. Always a good excuse to get into the grinder and deep clean it, anyways.

Work blocked hbt from my computer (along with bass pro shops, binnys, and nearly every other hobby related website I visit...) so I've struggled to come on here. Thanks @pshankstar for refreshing the thread!

Tis the season over here. Annual Christmas Blend, with a combination of a South American bean and an African bean. I'm not spilling the beans on which ones, though. 😜

20221207_145152.jpg

Back