Quantcast

☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ruint

Going NoWhere fast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
180 grams of coffee bean Used for 60 ounces of coffee. 2 different beans split at 90 grams each. 1 Colombia Antioquia supremo, 1 Brazil Salto Estate. Colombia bean has chocolate walnut, and Brazil is milk chocolate, nut tones, and orange zest. 2 cups dark brown sugar, 2 cups white granulated. 2 cups white rum. 1 cup vodka. Both spirits are top shelf. One premium vanilla bean, cut into thirds, and split down the middle. = 2/3's gallon of what already tastes fantastic home made Kahlua :yes:

TrickyDick

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody using Artisan? Anybody tried using Roast Learner add on (GitHub aderusha search) ? It is an A.I. with USB mic and python coding setup to auto detect and mark in Artisan when it detects 1C start.
Let me know if anyone has had success with using. Not much out there about it.

HarborTownBrewing

Reaction score
Anybody using Artisan? Anybody tried using Roast Learner add on (GitHub aderusha search) ?
This doesn't help much given your question but I'm still using Aillio's Roasttime software; I'm on their first version of the software still as well. I'm generally a late-adopter type of person and hate to mess with something that I've figured out so I'm stubbornly still using the original version. I know eventually they'll stop supporting it but I'm holding out!

Ruint

Going NoWhere fast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have not ventured into Artisan either, and like HTB, have stayed with Roasttime. I have not stayed with the original version, and have not had any glitches so far either. Don't know if that is because I usually wait until at least the first update to newly released versions before switching or not......but it's been a charm so far!

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody using Artisan? Anybody tried using Roast Learner add on (GitHub aderusha search) ? It is an A.I. with USB mic and python coding setup to auto detect and mark in Artisan when it detects 1C start.
Let me know if anyone has had success with using. Not much out there about it.
I had used artisan for a little while but not the add on mentioned. I had been using it with some phidgets modules but I quit because I think there was an issue with those not adjusting to ambient temp properly.

HarborTownBrewing

Reaction score
Well, just ordered $500 in coffee, 105 lbs. Got a mix of lots of great looking things coming between Burmans and Sweet Marias. In that mix was the beans I'll be using for my Christmas Blend this year; I won't give it away, but will say that this is one of the beans. Ethiopia Dry Process Hambela Goro It looks fantastic, I can't wait to try it as a SO in the Chemex. Chocolate covered Blueberries? Sounds too good to be true.
Alright so I have a follow-up post to report. Roasted up both beans for the Christmas Blend (the Ethiopian Goro and a Colombian). I didn't exactly get the roast I wanted as I thought I may have roasted them a little fast. About 20 mins post roast I was putting them away and decided to take a sniff of the canisters. Opened up the Ethiopian one and it was BLUEBERRY HEAVEN. Oh man, I got excited but waited a couple days to actually drink it.

So, after about 3 days of rest I blended 50/50 of the Ethiopian and the Colombian, brewed it in the Chemex, and inhaled a nice sniff from the Crust as it was blooming in the Chemex. Again, BLUEBERRY HEAVEN. Now I'm getting reaaaally excited. I take another sniff and must have too eagerly inhaled too much of the off-gassing CO2 because I could hardly breathe haha.

In the cup, it's just delicious. The blueberry is certainly there but it's complimented so nicely with these other dark fruit flavors. The Colombian gives it the body it needs and rounds it out. Since blending it a number of times and running it through the Chemex and Behmor Brewer, I have also tried both beans on their own and they are both delicious as single origins. I still want to get a slightly longer roast on the Colombian to get a bit more body (I think I had hit 1C at like 6:30 so about a min earlier than I had wanted to) but man...there is just nothing like a great cup of coffee.

TrickyDick

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@TrickyDick have you had a chance to roast the Goro?
No not yet. Been working my tail off and got sick so just started feeling better again. Tend to not drink coffee much when I'm feeling bad. I did recently decide to cut back on my brewing ratio , as it seems that it might been too much coffee and not enough water. I'd been using a 16:1 Im not sure where I am at not, but I definitely enjoy the coffee better with more water. I'll be working on the Goro in the next couple of weeks.

TD

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
what is this thing??
This angle is a little more self-explanatory:
04ED6D37-9EF3-4CB6-A28E-8757D33BD688.jpeg

and here is a full family picture:

C463159C-511C-4020-BCD9-ACC4CF865F2A.jpeg

The two mazzers, the Baratza Vario, and the HG-1 are all getting listed for sale. I’ve had fun playing with the mazzers, and the HG-1 and vario have served me well, but the kafatek and ditting more than cover my coffee grinder needs.