☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TrickyDick did you (or anyone else?) roast the Guji Guracho from the GCBC? I ground a dose today for an iced coffee and the dry berry aroma was very strong. Did not translate well to the cup, perhaps bc it’s iced? It’s there no doubt, but wow from the aroma

@TrickyDick did you (or anyone else?) roast the Guji Guracho from the GCBC? I ground a dose today for an iced coffee and the dry berry aroma was very strong. Did not translate well to the cup, perhaps bc it’s iced? It’s there no doubt, but wow from the aroma
I didn't buy any, but it looks like it's still available. Sounds like it's worth picking up 5lb...

I use that same colander with the smaller one on top. I hold them together with my left hand while hitting it with blower in right. Easy and quick. Then I use battery operated blower to clean chaff and gun. It's a tricky fish you are well on your way. I am sure there is a pic on this thread somewhere of that.

I’ll have to take a picture of my cooling apparatus. The bullet comes with one of its own, but I disliked it. Instead I used the cooling basket, basically a colander, and carved hole in a homer bucket lid and affixed a shop vac to a hole in the bottom. It works extremely fast for cooling the whole bean mass. I had installed a motor to stir the beans in the colander, stir bar I made didn’t work well so I disconnected that part until I get a better idea. I stir by hand now..
TD

Sounds pretty clever. Would love to see it. Love to see the bullet in action too. Are you getting through the stash? Here is a pic I found from a ways back. The blower is ryobi battery operated. The beans stir with the air and on a cold rocky mtn day cool instantly also cleaning them beautifully from the agitation. You can see in the pic the blower is off. The beans settled on the side they fly up. I then blow the deck and most importantly the hg and bm. Done. No cords, nada. Then carry the beans in, in the collander.

That guat geisha is meh at best. The bl guji maho is better. Maybe I should try to take it a pinch darker. It's easy to roast and certainly superior to where its from but when compared against a quality yirg it is wanting.
Screenshot_20190413-075827.jpeg

Last edited:
Not working through the stash. Going to get rid of everything older than 2017. Except on bag of EYC Janbar. Going to see how that is. Have another bag of it. What a schmuck I feel like. Got about 25-30 lbs. fits in a beer case. Anyone wants it pays for shipping, give me a shout. I can put together a list of what I have. Probably great for people who like char bucks.

Not working through the stash. Going to get rid of everything older than 2017. Except on bag of EYC Janbar. Going to see how that is. Have another bag of it. What a schmuck I feel like. Got about 25-30 lbs. fits in a beer case. Anyone wants it pays for shipping, give me a shout. I can put together a list of what I have. Probably great for people who like char bucks.

I’d take some. I have a roaster to learn.

Sounds pretty clever. Would love to see it. Love to see the bullet in action too. Are you getting through the stash? Here is a pic I found from a ways back. The blower is ryobi battery operated. The beans stir with the air and on a cold rocky mtn day cool instantly also cleaning them beautifully from the agitation. You can see in the pic the blower is off. The beans settled on the side they fly up. I then blow the deck and most importantly the hg and bm. Done. No cords, nada. Then carry the beans in, in the collander.

That guat geisha is meh at best. The bl guji maho is better. Maybe I should try to take it a pinch darker. It's easy to roast and certainly superior to where its from but when compared against a quality yirg it is wanting.View attachment 621833

I like that concept, Scrappy. Two colanders together then move some air through it. Do you clamp them together somehow or just put one on top of the other?

I wouldn't need the blower with the winds blowing like they've been here lately. ;)

I stopped by one of the La Colombes today and they have this beauty sitting in the back corner. A shame to see this thing going unused.

I had a Burundi. Definitely not the best I've had. It's unfortunate how much their quality has gone down over the years.
20190413_144136.jpeg

I like that concept, Scrappy. Two colanders together then move some air through it. Do you clamp them together somehow or just put one on top of the other?

I wouldn't need the blower with the winds blowing like they've been here lately. ;)
They fit inside one another and I use the left hand to hold both from top, never tried a clamp. I use a potholder and dump from bm into big collander. Put little one on top and hold blower in right hand. I know when they are cool by feel with my left hand. As the air blowing off them changes. Blow bm and put away about 15 minutes per pound start to finish. I figure it locks in the roast level. Don't know if that's a thing.

Looks super nice. I need to see what I have. That damn geisha arghh would rather be drinking banko natural. Might have to pick some up regardless.

If anyone is curious about the new Behmor roaster, "Jake", you can see more here: https://behmor.com/jake-kilo-roaster/

If anyone wants my take:
I'm getting hung up on the electrical, especially because that's a big component and probably the ONLY real issue people have had with the original Behmor 1600. This roaster requires 20 amp 120 volt service. Many older homes don't have 20 amp outlets unless they did a quality renovation. That's even the case with builder-grade newer construction too - a lot of homes are run with 15 amp outlets (cheaper/easier). That said, that's something to consider because the average Joe isn't going to run their own dedicated 20 amp outlet for this on their own.

Being that it requires 20 amp service, it's worth noting it also uses 2000 watts of electric. 2000 watts is over the upper-limit of recommended load on a 20 amp outlet, even if it's dedicated, because typically you don't want to exceed 75 to 80% of your circuit. 75%-80% of 20 amps is between 1800 and 1920 watts.

I can't tell what kind of heating system it uses, but it doesn't seem to be induction if it's 2000 watts. For comparison, the Bullet maxes out at 1,500 watts at maximum power.

They note minimum roast times of 12 mins. I wonder if that's the case even with a 1/4lb charge. That's a long roast.

What's going to be interesting to me is, how are they going to support this. I've contacted Behmor support a couple times and will admit they are generally fantastic at responding to issues in a timely, thorough manner - even well outside of the warranty period. But they're going to REALLY need to step up their game to support a roaster like this. If a customer is using this to operate a small cafe, they can't wait 3 days for Bob to respond - they will need an answer right away.

I loved my Behmor 1600 but I would never spend $2,500 on this roaster; it honestly seems insane to me considering what the Bullet is priced at. I still think the Bullet is under-priced, and seeing this Behmor at $2,500 sort of justifies that in my opinion.

If anyone is curious about the new Behmor roaster, "Jake", you can see more here: https://behmor.com/jake-kilo-roaster/

If anyone wants my take:
I'm getting hung up on the electrical, especially because that's a big component and probably the ONLY real issue people have had with the original Behmor 1600. This roaster requires 20 amp 120 volt service. Many older homes don't have 20 amp outlets unless they did a quality renovation. That's even the case with builder-grade newer construction too - a lot of homes are run with 15 amp outlets (cheaper/easier). That said, that's something to consider because the average Joe isn't going to run their own dedicated 20 amp outlet for this on their own.

Being that it requires 20 amp service, it's worth noting it also uses 2000 watts of electric. 2000 watts is over the upper-limit of recommended load on a 20 amp outlet, even if it's dedicated, because typically you don't want to exceed 75 to 80% of your circuit. 75%-80% of 20 amps is between 1800 and 1920 watts.

I can't tell what kind of heating system it uses, but it doesn't seem to be induction if it's 2000 watts. For comparison, the Bullet maxes out at 1,500 watts at maximum power.

They note minimum roast times of 12 mins. I wonder if that's the case even with a 1/4lb charge. That's a long roast.

What's going to be interesting to me is, how are they going to support this. I've contacted Behmor support a couple times and will admit they are generally fantastic at responding to issues in a timely, thorough manner - even well outside of the warranty period. But they're going to REALLY need to step up their game to support a roaster like this. If a customer is using this to operate a small cafe, they can't wait 3 days for Bob to respond - they will need an answer right away.

I loved my Behmor 1600 but I would never spend $2,500 on this roaster; it honestly seems insane to me considering what the Bullet is priced at. I still think the Bullet is under-priced, and seeing this Behmor at $2,500 sort of justifies that in my opinion.
I'm less negative, but still skeptical about it.

Two 20a circuits in a kitchen has been a code requirement for many years now, hasn't it? I don't think that 120v 20a is that big of a deal breaker. Of course, it'll be a consideration for anyone who would want to use it anywhere other than their kitchen, and given it's size, that could be most people. So you may be right.

Support is probably no worse than what Aillio can provide. I don't think the Aillio or Behmor have (or will have) a recommended monthly volume that is conducive to commercial use (other than a sample roaster) anyway. If you wanted to run much of a business using either machine as a production roaster, you'd probably need to have two of them, which of course puts you into the price range of single roasters with much better support.

As for heating type and performance (min roast time), we'll have to wait and see, just like we did when the bullet was in it's infancy. 2000w of resistive heat is quite a bit if it's efficient and well insulated. Given that Behmor still says that the 1600 roasts up to 1lb, I'm guessing that the Jake may not roast 1kg any better than the 1600 roasts 1lb. That makes the Jake's optimal capacity more around 1lb, which to me is just fine.

If nothing else, it gives Behmor a "halo" home roaster. Behmor may not even count on selling many of them. Aillio proved that there's a market for $2,500 home roasters, so why not give them some competition?

You've got to get on the Bullet fb page man. It's got great discussion, probably the most quality discussion I've seen on a coffee page, but it would also prove to you that just about everyone is using the Bullet in a commercial way of some sort [emoji12]

If anyone is thinking of selling their Behmor, get it listed on ebay quick. Mine just sold for $315, and there are none on ebay right now.

Damn, if I'd known your Behmore was in that price range, I would've bid on it.

There seems to be a void in that price range, say $200-$500 or so. The Behmor 1600+ models are now discontinued. The Fresh Roast machines are ~$175, but it just looks like a toy to me. I get the impression you need to bump up to $2k-plus to get something worthwhile and that's much more than I care to spend.

I'll keep plugging away with my heatgun and dogbowl, as I make decent coffee that way. Albeit 1/3lb. at a time.

Damn, if I'd known your Behmore was in that price range, I would've bid on it.

There seems to be a void in that price range, say $200-$500 or so. The Behmor 1600+ models are now discontinued. The Fresh Roast machines are ~$175, but it just looks like a toy to me. I get the impression you need to bump up to $2k-plus to get something worthwhile and that's much more than I care to spend.

I'll keep plugging away with my heatgun and dogbowl, as I make decent coffee that way. Albeit 1/3lb. at a time.
Honestly, stick with the heatgun for at least a little while. Used 1600+'s like mine were going for <$250 just a couple weeks ago on ebay. The only reason why I got as much as I did is because new ones aren't available for a few more weeks and people on ebay are goofy. Once the AB is widely available, I'll bet you can get a 1600+ in good shape for $200.

Let's take a look at the lowball offer. Curious, did you charge them shipping or did you pay for it? Assuming you charged them let's say 30 in shipping. Ebay gets 10 percent, PayPal 3 and you net 301, which is actually 271 minus said 30 in shipping. if you have box done. Without, then box and shipping. If it doesn't get there in good shape then all bets off. So Haha, I come up with 250 locally.

Interestingly enough, I wrote this before you said 250. Just didn't post. So 250 doesn't seem as lowball. Now let's just say someone had already bought one for 250. When they sale they may be very happy with 200 and that's when I show up.

Let's take a look at the lowball offer. Curious, did you charge them shipping or did you pay for it? Assuming you charged them let's say 30 in shipping. Ebay gets 10 percent, PayPal 3 and you net 301, which is actually 271 minus said 30 in shipping. if you have box done. Without, then box and shipping. If it doesn't get there in good shape then all bets off. So Haha, I come up with 250 locally.

Interestingly enough, I wrote this before you said 250. Just didn't post. So 250 doesn't seem as lowball. Now let's just say someone had already bought one for 250. When they sale they may be very happy with 200 and that's when I show up.
The buyer paid $356.71 with shipping. (Note that I paid $369 new 4.5 years ago with free shipping and 5 or 8lb of sample coffees.) I still had the original box and ample packing materials, so it's double boxed at no cost to me. I had a promo from ebay so I'm not paying the normal listing fee on it, I believe that i'll net ~$310 all said and done after paypal fees.

Solid work there, I mean talk about getting back what you put in. What do you think of the Silvia. It doesn't use a ppf, I assume.

Solid work there, I mean talk about getting back what you put in. What do you think of the Silvia. It doesn't use a ppf, I assume.
Not a PPF. Honestly, after my grinder upgrades and paying more attention to my espresso process, I'm not quite as anxious to replace it. I'm still keeping my eye out for an upgrade, but the roaster went by it on the priority list (obviously). But, for the price of a silvia with PID, you're very close to the dual boiler breville, which looks to be a much better buy to me. In fact, I've considered getting a breville to replace my silvia. It doesn't have a rotary pump, which is on my list of features for a new espresso machine, but for the price, that might be something I can live with.

On the other end of the spectrum, I did just notice a single group slayer on CL earlier today. I don't think I'm quite willing to spend $7k on an espresso machine though.

I’m glad to see that you got a good offer on your roaster but sad that I won’t be seeing it on my kitchen counter. It’s all good though, I wouldn’t have paid more than 250-275. I should start surfing eBay more often.

Watching these price fluctuations is funny. It's amazing how people will get over-anxious and over-pay for something. @TallDan I'm happy for you, but wow.

I'm still shopping for a truck. This has been ongoing for months now, and watching some of the price fluctuations is simultaneously annoying and funny. It snows for a couple days in March and 4x4 prices go up $500+...

Speaking of cl it's a dream come true for some of you. This guy is selling a roasting biz with roaster, shop, client lists, etc... Years of decent rep matters. He claims 6k in product too. 4 grinders
Screenshot_20190415-213223_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Haha, you all know there is no way I want to work that hard!

But what a deal. The grinders, pro computers, etc...all that has to add up.

Speaking of cl it's a dream come true for some of you. This guy is selling a roasting biz with roaster, shop, client lists, etc... Years of decent rep matters. He claims 6k in product too. 4 grindersView attachment 622374

Most of that's capital and inventory. The marketing/media/client lists/IP are of indeterminate value without knowing what the owner's book of business amounted to. The lease could be dumped, just haul out the gear and go.

Do a Scrappy's Shark Tank and make a low-ball offer.

Haha what is going on here? I posted that for you not me. I'd rather be poor and have time to golf then be a millionaire and work all the time. Clearly you have me mistaken for somebody else.

I have posted the numbers before though kind of like that article. I remember now I shared them with Harbor town brewing a ways back on this thread. I agree with that article and people do the same with beer. they think they can make a living with 10 barrels. if you don't have the coffee and you don't have the beer then what the h*** are you going to sell. Seems obvious but if you wanna make a lot of money better sell a lot of coffee. My thing would be the 20 sack. Really good ethiopian at 20 a sack. Maybe have a 10 bag. There is no way I would do it. My son asked me once why I didn't own a restaurant or cook for a living and I had to Tell him that I didn't want to work that hard. I value the time with the children more than anything.

Back