Low FG - What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

Made an Oatmeal Stout - 8 days in Primary, 14 in secondary and I have just bottled it.
OG was 1.050, final was 1.028. Isn't it this quite low? I expected more from this Stout.
Have I done something wrong?

Thanks ,
J

Starting with 1.052, I would expect a FG of 1.012-1.016. How much oatmeal was in the recipe? It tends to leave you with higher FGs. Even so, a FG of 1.028 is really high for anything except a barleywine.

Correct, your ABV is low. It's about 3% and should be about 4%. The larger the difference between the OG and FG, the higher the ABV. Was this AG or extract?

This was an exptract brew.

I think my reference chart is out of whack. Don't remember where I downloaded it from but it has columns for OG and Rows for FG. You find where you connect and badda-bing.
According this chart, my Stout is hitting 2.5% ABV at best

jaymack said:
This was an exptract brew.

I think my reference chart is out of whack. Don't remember where I downloaded it from but it has columns for OG and Rows for FG. You find where you connect and badda-bing.
According this chart, my Stout is hitting 2.5% ABV at best
if your OG was 1.050 and your FG was 1.028, then you are in the 2.9% ABV range... your chart is essentially correct. it's your FG that's f'ed up.
if this was a kit, what kit? if not, what was your recipe?
also, what did it taste like?

Lou said:
if your OG was 1.050 and your FG was 1.028, then you are in the 2.9% ABV range... your chart is essentially correct. it's your FG that's f'ed up.
if this was a kit, what kit? if not, what was your recipe?
also, what did it taste like?

IMO: Sounds more like the OG is low. Especially if you used oatmeal, OG should have been around 1.080. Do you have soft water or did you use distilled? If so, next time try adding a little gypsum to harden the water--don't use distilled.

Since this was done with extract there really isn't anyway to have a lower than expected OG short of watering your beer down too much, a severe boilover, or not adding all the extract. If you followed the recipe correctly then you'd started out at the right spot - 1.050 is fine for a stout.. they tend to be lower on the ABV (except for imperial stouts of course).

What you're confusing is Final Gravity and Alcohol By Volume. Final gravity just tells you what the density of your beer is when fermentation has ceased. Remember that water is the reference point - 60 deg water will read as 1.000 on your hydrometer. Sugar is thicker than water and alcohol is thinner, so the Specific Gravity before fermentation will be high - usually upwards of 1.045. Because the thick sugar is replaced with alcohol the finished beer will be much 'thinner', almost as thin as water. When the airlock stops bubbling then the yeast have basically done what they're gonna do - this is when you take a final gravity reading to see how much of the sugars the yeast have fermented into alcohol. The higher the Original Gravity and the lower the Final Gravity (the bigger the gap between the two) the more alcohol you've got. Thus, a *lower* final gravity typically means a *higher* alcohol content. You're problem here is a higher than expected final gravity giving you a lower than anticipated alcohol content.

So, if the airlock truly has stopped bubbling and the fermentation has ceased then you have a problem. Fermentation usually does not stop until around 1.015 or less.. if it stops higher then this then you have what is called a "stuck fermentation". The yeast basically lost interest and stopped fermenting when there's still fermentable sugar left in the wort/beer. You probably also noticed that the beer tastes a bit sweet - this is because there is still quite a bit of sugar left in the beer that needs to be fermented out. What you'll need to do is get another packet of yeast (assuming you're using dried yeast), rehydrate it, and pitch it into the beer BUT DO NOT AERATE! Hopefully the fermentation should pick up again in a day or two. Wait until it completes and bottle as usual.

or

If the fermentation has not ceased and you're just checking the Specific Gravity to see how things are coming then you just need to wait a few more days until the beer hits that 1.015 mark... at this point it is not ready to be bottled as it has not reached the correct Final Gravity

edit: I see you already bottled it.. ah well too late now. Let us know how it turns out. If the fermentation unsticks then you may have bottle bombs on your hands.. watch out. On the other hand, if the beer doesn't unstick then I suppose it won't carbonate and you'll have flat semi-sweet beer. Let's hope for the former.. but heck I'm sure it'll be drinkable either way. And if it sat that long in the secondary then I'll bet the fermentation just stopped short.. disregard that third paragraph there.

Thanks, Lost. Quite a bit of info to chew on.

Your reply has made me think this.; I did a 2gallon boil and added it to 3g of water. Is it possible I killed it because I used to much water?

Prost! said:
If so, next time try adding a little gypsum to harden the water--don't use distilled.
Just what effect is adding gypsum going to have on an extract brew? Just curious. :rolleyes:

jaymack said:
Thanks, Lost. Quite a bit of info to chew on.

Your reply has made me think this.; I did a 2gallon boil and added it to 3g of water. Is it possible I killed it because I used to much water?

No, too much water will not harm the yeast. When doing extract batches it is customary to do a concentrated boil and then water it down, add yeast, and aerate. The recipe likely called for you do end up with a 5 gallon batch.. so adding three gallons of water to two gallons of concentrated wort put you right on the mark. I don't know what really causes stuck fermentations - my guess is that it's just luck... probably had nothing to do with your technique.

Next time though, don't bottle it unless it gets down in the right FG range.

Thanks again.

I've had a couple of batches get infected so Im almost overly concerned, to a fault, about cleanliness and infection.
What IS the best way to take a reading during Secondary fermentation?

jaymack said:
Thanks again.

I've had a couple of batches get infected so Im almost overly concerned, to a fault, about cleanliness and infection.
What IS the best way to take a reading during Secondary fermentation?

The best way is not to :)

If you must, sanitize a turkey baster. You may need to attach a foot of siphon tubing to the end of it depending on how long yours is (heh heh).

If you're really concerned, you can apply some high-proof vodka to the inside of the carboy opening with a Q-tip when you pull the bung out (or cap off). It should be evaporated by the time you finish pulling the sample.

Also, keep in mind that by the time it's in the secondary, there is enough alcohol in there such that it's not nearly as vulnerable to nasties as when the yeast was first pitched.

Back