Personal experience with Fermentis WB-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I had begun my first attempt at a Hefeweizen, using only 50% wheat malt and 50% pale ale malt. Naturally, i am interested in using the Fermentis WB-06 because of it convenience. The result is not perfect but decent, and it conveyed to me that this yeast is very capable of generating the qualities of a Hefeweizen. I do understand that homebrew hefeweizen is a beer many people attempt to make, and not many will enjoy.

I used 5lb pale and 5lb wheat. 1 ounce Hallertau (4.6% AA) added at the start of the 60min boil. Preceding the boil was 30min acid rest at 55C and 60min mash at 68C. Cooled with a closed lit using a cold water bath for only 45 min (continuous stiring required). Resulting volume was 15L. Here is the important part: open fermentation at 15-16C (~60F) until the kreuzen (spelling?) fell after 4 days. only 7 days of secondary fermentation at 15-18C. The stringent control over fermentation temperature was not adequate since I had only used a cold, iced water bath. The likely result of fermentation between 15-17C would be a higher clove like flavour, and less of the banana flavour. I presumed that the solvent, paint thinner, fruity like flavours would not result. I opened the first bottle after 50 hours under the influence of 3/4cup of corn sugar.

Am I satisfied with this result? Yes, at least for the first time. 3/4 inch head. This beer taste like an unbalanced hefeweizen with a high degree of clove flavour and a mild degree of banana flavour. FG-OG = 1.060-1.012. Not a trace of fruity or paint like flavour. Extremely drinkable. In the future I will likely use a higher % of wheat malt. I will also try my best at maintaining the temperature around 18C. Best below 21C. I will definatly use this yeast again.

Thanks for the info. I have some of this yeast and it's counter-part made by Danstar. I will be doing an American wheat (10 gal) and split it into two 5 gal so I can try the two yeast side by side.

Unfortunately, my experience is just the opposite. I brewed a hefe with it and ended up giving away the entire keg. All I tasted was yeast. Not even a hint of banana, clove, bubble gum, etc. I thought it was horrible. Others have also been less than thrilled. See here. Strangely, the guy I gave it to liked it - go figure.

Mmmm. I have an American Wheat with this yeast ready to be bottled this Saturday. What with the mixed reviews, I'm intrigued/worried about tasting the hydrometer sample. I'll post back after.

Unfortunately, my experience is just the opposite. I brewed a hefe with it and ended up giving away the entire keg. All I tasted was yeast. Not even a hint of banana, clove, bubble gum, etc. I thought it was horrible. Others have also been less than thrilled. See here. Strangely, the guy I gave it to liked it - go figure.

QFT ^

I made a weizenbock with it and was disappointed. I kept fermentation temps in check, but the final product was very strange. It stopped around 1.022 or so...didn't move for a week. So I racked to secondary, where it proceeded to do the whole "hey guess what I'm gonna start fermentation again, but go real slow and take forever to stop" thing. You could see the little bubbles constantly rising to the top of the fermenter...and once every 30 seconds or so I'd have an airlock bubble. This went on for maybe 4 weeks. Then I got my kegging operation working and kegged it. At first it was strange---very savory, if you know what I mean, with that weird clash that you get when you drink orange juice just after brushing your teeth. I thought it just needed more time in the keg, but that didn't help. I finished the batch because it was still drinkable, but it was far from my standards. I won't use it again for fear of hurting another batch.

Back