Best brewing kit for the $$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chchadder

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm a newb to brewing and to this forum. Been looking through the posts and searching to see if anyone had compiled a thread on their favorite kits that are out there. Pros/cons of each, etc...

Here are a few that I am looking at to start with. I would appreciate any thoughts on them or others that I have missed.

Thanks!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERY_WITH_RED_ALE_P628C73.cfm

Or any of these:

http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=1&sectionID=1

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_GoldKit.cfm

But having read about people meeting Mr. Beer in a dark alley, not this:

http://www.mrbeer.com/

LOL! :D

Quick newb question (be gentle): what is the advantage of the glass carboy over the kits with the plastic buckets?

Thanks!

I have the True Brew Gold kit, and just started my first batch, the one you see advertised has a few more things then mine (no capper, no bottle or carboy brush) I am pleased with my purchase if that makes a difference in your decision, hopefully someone with more batches under their belt will chime in

Man, I am going sound like a salesperson for Austin Homebrewing, (which I am not) but Forrest is getting ready to have a sale this weekend. You might check out what he will put on sale. Not sure how his starter kits compare to everybody elses, but once he puts stuff on sale you might be able to piece together a starter set and save a ton of cash at the same time.
I put together a cart full of equipment and have it sitting ready to check out once the sale prices go into effect on Saturday.

One reason I will most likely buy from Forrest is I see him respond to people here. I see him answer questions and give advice. He also is honest enough to tell people where they can get a better deal on equipment. Sort of like those progressive insurance commercials wherer they give out prices of their competitors.

He also offers discounts to HBT members from time to time. SOmebody can jump in here and tell me I am wrong, but in the month or so I have been trolling this board, I have not seen any other merchant do the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Cake

I started with this superior kit from learntobrew.com http://www.learntobrew.com/store/item/yvpa/-_Equipment_Kits/Superior_Brewing_Kit.html and I have honestly been very happy with it. I really haven't felt like I needed anything else other than what came in this kit, and the inclusion of grain and hop bags was nice too (if only had had used them in that first brew...). It is also one of the cheaper ones if I remember correctly.

However, that being said, Williams Brewing has been nothing but exceptional for me in everything I have ordered since that kit, however, I don't think they have the all glass option, but you might be able to piece together a kit for the same or lesser price with two glass carboys (I did this with their kegging system).

And finally, just recently I have ordered from Morebeer and found their service and speed (from order to receipt) to be fantastic. Best of luck!

Thanks to all of you for the great info on the different kits and such! I am going to check out what Forrest is putting on sale before making any purchases, but am really chomping at the bit to get to brewin'!

Cheers!

I am not sure whether you guys can get them in the US, but I am using the Cooper's microbrew kit. Well, it has everything you need to make your first brew except water and prehaps a kettle.

Comes with those PET bottles and screw top caps.

I too have the Coopers kit. Seems like a nice kit for the money (IMO). Though to be honest now that I know a little more about brewing I think I would have gone with a more complete kit. The Coopers kit is great but it does seem like its some sort of novice home brewing kit.

I guess it is because of the PET bottles. They really look newbie like. But I don't mind and PET bottles are much easier to maintain than glass ones.

Well if you want, just buy a capper and use the glass bottles from the beers (previously) you bought.

I got a MrBeer kit for Xmas and then bought a MW homebrew kit with an ale pail, bottling bucket and carboy (along with capper, hydrometer, etc). I love this setup as a beginner!

I have the ability to expand my brewing operation (apfelwein in mr beer or using the carboy and ale pail to brew 2 5gal batches simultaneously) and didnt have to spend an arm and a leg to do so

This coming weekend I am moving all of my equipment to the basement so I can have a place to keep all of my stuff together and not have to worry about the rents touching something they're not supposed to

Honestly, just grab a kit that works for you fiscally and do a simple extract kit. If you like it (which i GUARANTEE you will) then get more stuff and expand! Have fun and welcome to the boards, as a fellow newb these guys and girls have been amazing!

Back