Best way to prime a large batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhaulrik

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm a danish brewer looking for some advice for the best way to prime a large batch of 450L (118gal) with sugar before bottling.
I have tried to illustrate our current process being used:
1611221437925.png

As illustrated we normally add dissolved sugar to a large empty tank which is then purged with Co2. Then we transfer the content of our two fermenters to the larger empty tank before they are finally bottled.
I think there are pros and cons to this method:

Pros
  • The yeast sediment is left in the fermenter vessels
    • The final product will become cleaner
  • Any possible differences between the contents of the two fermenters are evened out since they are mixed together
Cons
  • I do not like to transfer beer between vessels more than necessary since it gets exposed to a certain amount of oxygen
    • We do purge the large tank with Co2 before transferring the beer to it. And I verify that the tank is filled with Co2 by lowering a lit lighter into the tank and watch the flame go out.

Ideally I would prefer to prime the beer directly in the fermenters, but I am unsure how I can ensure that the sugar solution is properly distributed in the tanks before proceeding to bottling. Additionally I am unsure if I can stir the contents gently to mix the beer and the sugar without 1. exposing it to oxygen and 2. stir up the yeast sediment in the bottom.

I would like to hear you opinion and if you have any tips or tricks to what could improve our process as I am really split on this matter.

Thank you, and cheers!
Nikolaj

Attachments

• 1611220771624.png
    1611220771624.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 2
Ideally I would prefer to prime the beer directly in the fermenters, but I am unsure how I can ensure that the sugar solution is properly distributed in the tanks before proceeding to bottling. Additionally I am unsure if I can stir the contents gently to mix the beer and the sugar without 1. exposing it to oxygen and 2. stir up the yeast sediment in the bottom.

This question often comes up, but in the context of smaller batches. But the answer is the same. There's no way to evenly stir the sugar solution into the beer without stirring up the sediment.

I do not like to transfer beer between vessels more than necessary since it gets exposed to a certain amount of oxygen

I don't know if it would be practical for you, but the way to avoid the extra transfer would be to dose the bottles with priming sugar individually.

Back