New Mangrove Jack's strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like Mangrove Jack's have expanded their product line, but I can't find any US retailers who carry them yet. Has anyone used any of these new strains? Anyone found them in the US?

The new strains are:

M76 Bavarian Lager
M47 Belgian Abbey
M31 Belgian Tripel
M21 Belgian Wit
M54 California Lager
M36 Liberty Bell Ale
M05 Mead
M42 New World Strong Ale

EDIT: A PDF on the MJ site lists a couple other strains not listed above:
M15 Empire Ale
M29 French Saison (!!! 3711?)

I live in Europe and several online suppliers have the full range here.
I don't know about America but you could contact them and ask if they have a distributer there.

I used the M27 for a Cali-Belgique clone attempt about 2 years ago.
This was also a Saison strain; not sure if it is now called M29 or what the difference is.
Anyway it worked quite well
They were both used in totally different beers so difficult to compare but for some reason I preferred the results with Bell Saison. They both finished around 1.003 but the Belle Saison left more mouth feel behind.

I also used the M02 DRY CIDER YEAST and that was quite good.
Left a lot of apple flavor behind from the pasteurized store-bought the apple juice. So there was no need to add any Malic Acid.

I've just ordered the California Lager yeast as I have always wanted to brew a California Common. Will probably brew it in late spring.
I have never brewed this style before so wont be able to compare it to a liquid yeast but will report back when I have tried it.

Would love to hear people experience with the other yeasts listed above.
Always good to have more dry-yeast options for different styles.

A good dry English IPA/ESB yeast other than S-04 or M07 would be a great find.

Note that they apparently discontinued some of their older strains. I don't see M07, M15 or M79 in their lineup any more.

Note that they apparently discontinued some of their older strains. I don't see M07, M15 or M79 in their lineup any more.

Yes as far as I can see they have been maybe slightly changed and renamed.
Both will probably be available at some suppliers until the stock of the old versions is gone.

Very cool. The French saison temp range is interesting. Higher than 3711, but it does sound very similar. Bring in the split batches!

Yes as far as I can see they have been maybe slightly changed and renamed.
Both will probably be available at some suppliers until the stock of the old versions is gone.

From another forum a member has had it confirmed by MJ that the M79 has been replaced by "almost identical" M36.
Sounds like they just changed the packaging and marketing blurb. :beard:

I'm not sure if the M07 and M15 are discontinued or repackaged as one of the the new range too.

I really wanted to try the M07 and compare it to S04.
Maybe I should order some before it disappears.

I was thinking the same, maybe I should put some on slants while they're still available.

I really wanted to try the M07 and compare it to S04.
Maybe I should order some before it disappears.

I have done one brew with M07 now and i absolutely love it. Very fruity esters on the nose and clean malt character.. it's still carbing up so dunno about final results, but i'd definitely grab some packs before they'll be gone.
It's close to S04 overall, just more subtle and fruity.

If they had that many Belgian dry strains 2 years ago when I started, I mightve stayed with dry yeast.

If they had that many Belgian dry strains 2 years ago when I started, I mightve stayed with dry yeast.

The question is if they are any good though :p
Also which liquid Belgian strain they are similar to.
You will probably have to re-pitch them a few times to get all the character too.

Looks like they rebranded some of the yeast and added a some new ones.
I believe that the Liberty Belle was the Burton UK. Dark Ale was New Castle. I've done a few beers with MJ. I am thinking about making 2 batches one with Fermentis and another with MJ to see what is the difference. I only use dry yeast for my 1-2 gallons batches.

It seems like Mangrove Jack's have expanded their product line, but I can't find any US retailers who carry them yet. Has anyone used any of these new strains? Anyone found them in the US?

The new strains are:

M76 Bavarian Lager
M47 Belgian Abbey
M31 Belgian Tripel
M21 Belgian Wit
M54 California Lager
M36 Liberty Bell Ale
M05 Mead
M42 New World Strong Ale

EDIT: A PDF on the MJ site lists a couple other strains not listed above:
M15 Empire Ale
M29 French Saison (!!! 3711?)

http://www.txbrewing.com/ingredients/yeast/dry-yeast.html

Texas Brewing Inc. carries a few of the MJ yeasts.

I have used m27 and the new m31.
m27 much more vigourus with very high attn down to FG 1002, doesn't result in a thin beer though. Very pronouned estery fruit and some phenolics. Also produces very clear beer. Fermented at 24-29C.

The M31 is a slow and steady fermenter, good attn down to 1005. Not as much belgian character as the M27. I fermented this one at 21-26C.

Overall I prefer M27 which I have used in both blonde and dubbel.

I have just made a blonde SG 1068 with a sachet each of M31 and Saf Abbaye. Explosive fermentation within 3 hours. I have not noticed any sulphur which many people notewith the SafAbbaye, some bubblegum though but not much else. It's only been 4 days so too early to make any judgement yet.

Some of the strains are new, and (at least according to the Swedish importer) some are simply renamed.
M27 Belgian Ale- M29 French Saison
M07 British Ale- M42 New World Strong Ale
M79 Burton Union- M36 Liberty Bell Ale
M03 Newcastle Brown Ale -M15 Empire Ale

I'm going to have a crack at the Californian Lager yeast with my next brew. I'm going to use it in a Dortmunder Export rather than a true lager strain. I've never even tasted the style but I liked the look of the recipe in a book I have.

The commercial description of some of these yeasts sounds a lot to me like certain liquid strains. The Californian Lager quite obviously reminds me of Anchor's yeast, the change of name from Belgian Ale to French Saison seems to suggest WY3711, the Abbey strain gives me Chimay vibes and the new Belgian ale kind of seems like Westmalle.

I made a side-by-side SG 1.055 batch with same amount of M27 Belgian Ale and M29 French Saison and I came to feel that they are not the same strain. M27 was a few months older than the M29, but they were held in the fridge side-by-side. Both yeasts were added to a very basic wort (pilsner+wheat+magnum), inoculated at 20C, I set the fermentor for 25C and no limits up.

After only 4 hours the M29 showed explosive activity, literally boiled like a lava lamp for two days with it's temperature free-rised to 31C. Thick 1" krausen formed, highly unusual as I tend to have more stealthy krausens. Never ever seen such epic fermentation, it was a scary and a marvellous sight. :)

M27 took (the usual) 24 hours to show signs of fermentation, formed a solid 1/2" krausen and its temp rose only up to 28C. Nothing out of ordinary. Both yeasts were rehydrated in boiled water cooled down to 20C.

After two weeks both received FG (1.005), M29 was faster and ready at 11th day. All two beers showed a layer of glycerine that sticked to the side of the china espresso-cup I used to take tasting samples.

Side by side the beer with M29 had a more inviting smell, sweet, bready, characteristic yeasty scent without any high notes, while the M27 was more neutral. Neither of them made any high-alcohol smell, and all too were pretty dry and round taste.

Starter made from M29 had no different smell than the beer, no big news as no aroma-hops were used, only some first wort Magnum for 28 IBU.

Both beers were converted to ginger saisons by bottling them with spiced syrup, 3.6 CO2 in heavy champagne-bottles. Now I mixed the M29 with some harvested Dupont and I will compare it later with M29. I think both M27 and M29 are great strains, anyone brews saisons or - like me - have a love for dry beer should have a pocket or two in the fridge-door. They can save the day if a finicky strain decides to strike instead finishing the job. I was not that lucky with Belle Saison so far but thats another story and could be because the yeast was handled badly in the HBS.

I am about to brew a porter with a planned OG at 1.052 and M36 Liberty Bell will be pitched.Should I use one or two packages? I will ferment at around 20 C.

I'm itching to use that M54 myself. Can't seem to find anyone who sells it stateside though. Do you have a source?
I'm going to have a crack at the Californian Lager yeast with my next brew. I'm going to use it in a Dortmunder Export rather than a true lager strain. I've never even tasted the style but I liked the look of the recipe in a book I have.

I am about to brew a porter with a planned OG at 1.052 and M36 Liberty Bell will be pitched.Should I use one or two packages? I will ferment at around 20 C.

If it is a five gallon batch I would say two packages.

I'm itching to use that M54 myself. Can't seem to find anyone who sells it stateside though. Do you have a source?

The Homebrew Shop in Clacton, UK sells M54 to the US for around $5 shipped. The 247 Shop in Farnborough, UK also has it and ships to the US. Might be a long transit time, but it's dry yeast so maybe ok.

If it is a five gallon batch I would say two packages.

Thank you! I just pitched one package of Mangrove's Jack Yeast M44 in a 6 gallon 1.047 wort and after 6 days it is down to 1.017 only.This M44 is supposed to be a high attenuation yeast so I guess I underpitched.The Liberty Bell is a lower attenuation strain, according to the manufacturer, and since I am probably the first one to use it in Greece I will go for a two package combo.

Can you send some web links to the shops? I would love to order some. Thanks.

The Homebrew Shop in Clacton, UK sells M54 to the US for around $5 shipped. The 247 Shop in Farnborough, UK also has it and ships to the US. Might be a long transit time, but it's dry yeast so maybe ok.

Can you send some web links to the shops? I would love to order some. Thanks.

http://www.homebrew2u.co.uk Their online shop/etsy has it for $5.36 shipped to the US.

http://www.247homebrew.com Their ebay store has it $6 shipped to the US. Their webstore is much more expensive.

Sounds like an interesting yeast. I think I'll try some in the near future.

Good luck with it and will be interested in hearing how it works out.

Thank you! I just pitched one package of Mangrove's Jack Yeast M44 in a 6 gallon 1.047 wort and after 6 days it is down to 1.017 only.This M44 is supposed to be a high attenuation yeast so I guess I underpitched.The Liberty Bell is a lower attenuation strain, according to the manufacturer, and since I am probably the first one to use it in Greece I will go for a two package combo.

M44 has always worked wonders for me, sometimes it dries out the beer even too much. I love how it brings out the hops and still let's the malt shine thru. Also flocculates nicely. Maybe you got a badly handled bag? doesn't sound right that it would stuck at 1.017...

I live in the UK and several UK online sites sell it. Dont know if they ship to the US though

I get all my HB supplies from here
http://www.geterbrewed.com/ there based in ireland. There customer service is fantastic. Contact them by twitter or facebook and they'll get back to you really quick to let you know if they ship to the US

I've just bottled a session IPA at which I pitched a M44. The attenuation was 75% but I used a single pack of yeast.The sample is really clean with a flavour of malt and hop.There are no esters.Really satisfied with the yeast.

Bringing this one back post-Homebrew Con. Did anyone snag samples from the BrewCraft USA table? I was able to get my hands on the Witbier (M21), Tripel (M31), French Saison (M29), and Liberty Bell (M36) strains. It also looks like they're still making Belgian Ale (prev. M27, now M41). Not sure if it's the same strain or different.

Would have liked to snag a M05 Mead pack, but I guess I can't be greedy. Time to start brewing! :mug:

EDIT: I still haven't seen an official announcement from BrewCraft USA, but the new strains are on their website. I imagine it's only a matter of time before they show up at local and online US retailers.

Bringing this one back post-Homebrew Con. Did anyone snag samples from the BrewCraft USA table? I was able to get my hands on the Witbier (M21), Tripel (M31), French Saison (M29), and Liberty Bell (M36) strains. It also looks like they're still making Belgian Ale (prev. M27, now M41). Not sure if it's the same strain or different.

Would have liked to snag a M05 Mead pack, but I guess I can't be greedy. Time to start brewing! :mug:

EDIT: I still haven't seen an official announcement from BrewCraft USA, but the new strains are on their website. I imagine it's only a matter of time before they show up at local and online US retailers.

I live in NZ - SO i didn't attend, but looked like a grand old time.

But you peaked my interest with the MJ yeasts.
I have used M21 once (Still kegged) in a Slightly more hoppy Wit. No Dryhop but used riwaka and nelson sauvin (The joys of living in this country). This is a fantastic yeast, it ferments quick, and attenuates well, although not as well as the liquid wit yeasts out there. its clean and has that typical wit character, without beingtoo much like a wheat beer.

I also just finished up a Belgian Dark strong Ale with M47 Abbey yeast - I used the clone recipe for Leffe Radieuse.
And I'll say this, even though I am yet to package. (I am bulk aging for an additional couple of weeks.)
The beer itself is remarkably similar to the original beer, so I would suggest the closest liquid strain is WLP530 or WY3787. I was actually surprised how close the beer was to what i remember of the original.

I'm really looking forward to it, and will re-make it if it comes out How I think it will... (I threw WLP650 at most of the batch)

I have used M21 once (Still kegged) in a Slightly more hoppy Wit. No Dryhop but used riwaka and nelson sauvin (The joys of living in this country). This is a fantastic yeast, it ferments quick, and attenuates well, although not as well as the liquid wit yeasts out there. its clean and has that typical wit character, without beingtoo much like a wheat beer.

Thanks for the feedback! My next brew is going to be a traditional witbier with the MJ Witbier yeast, so maybe I'll mash a couple degrees lower than I was intending to compensate for attenuation.

I also just finished up a Belgian Dark strong Ale with M47 Abbey yeast - I used the clone recipe for Leffe Radieuse.
The beer itself is remarkably similar to the original beer, so I would suggest the closest liquid strain is WLP530 or WY3787. I was actually surprised how close the beer was to what i remember of the original.

I'm really looking forward to it, and will re-make it if it comes out How I think it will... (I threw WLP650 at most of the batch)

I just brewed up a Dark Strong today using Danstar/Lallemand Abbaye. Next time I brew it I'll have to give the MJ strain a try. Didn't get any free samples of that one though. I'd be really curious to do a side-by-side of the two, and maybe throw in Fermentis BE-256 (formerly Abbaye).

I also just brewed a Belgian Golden Strong and a Saison using Wyeast 1388 and 3724 respectively, so unfortunately I'll just have to sit on my packs of M31 Tripel and M29 French Saison for a while.

Thanks for the feedback! My next brew is going to be a traditional witbier with the MJ Witbier yeast, so maybe I'll mash a couple degrees lower than I was intending to compensate for attenuation.

I just brewed up a Dark Strong today using Danstar/Lallemand Abbaye. Next time I brew it I'll have to give the MJ strain a try. Didn't get any free samples of that one though. I'd be really curious to do a side-by-side of the two, and maybe throw in Fermentis BE-256 (formerly Abbaye).

I also just brewed a Belgian Golden Strong and a Saison using Wyeast 1388 and 3724 respectively, so unfortunately I'll just have to sit on my packs of M31 Tripel and M29 French Saison for a while.

If it makes you feel any better - i cant stand M29

Lol Have you tried Wyeast 3711 or Danstar Belle Saison? Curious to see how it compares to either of those.

Have to say I preferred Bell Saison to M29.
I didn't directly compare them on the same batch of beer or even style so other factors might have made the Bell Saison beer better. Both finished within a point of each other but the M29 beer seemed significantly thinner.

Lol Have you tried Wyeast 3711 or Danstar Belle Saison? Curious to see how it compares to either of those.

cant say i have.
I've generally tried to use liquid for belgian beers, saisons etc.

I have actually found a housesaison yeast (Well farmhouse yeast) WLP670 - i love thatyeast, great balance of spice - malt and funk.

M47 is the first Dry I've used in quite sometime of a belgian strain.
Ive had my fair shar of M27/M29 beers made by friends.
there is only one beer i've tried, which is drinkable (its actually quit tasty)
only available in NZ Behemoth Boll in the Fay Farmhouse IPA. so not even really a proper style to speak of.

Back