New Mangrove Jack's strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks for the answer.
Do you have any hard facts on that or is it just hearsay? I've read that other people assume it's a dry WLP 007 - and others that say it's Nottingham...
How far does it attenuate for you? According to its data sheet it should attenuate 77-82 % (which would be the Nottingham range). The temperature range doesn't exactly fit Nottingham, it starts too high.
So again: Any facts?
Thanks!

I have never used wlp007 so I must admit that is just information I found elsewhere on the internet.

For Notti v M42 I also unfortunately I don't have any hard facts only some things I have observed the 5 or so times I have brewed with each.

All different beers with different OGs and mash temps so never a direct comparison. However they were all brewed in my basement around 64F ambient temperature. Looking at my notes a few of the beers with Notti ended under 1.010 but all the M42 beers ended between 1.010 and 1.013.
M42 seems to be more forgiving of higher temperatures too but Notti seems to work faster and drop quicker. So I would say they have some similarities but are significantly different.
I guess the only way to really compare them is to do a split batch with a moderately hopped medium to light coloured beer.

I found this when looking for a comparison:

http://mjyeastsub.blogspot.de/

Again just a fellow brewer's opinion but useful for anyone interested in finding out more about how MJ yeasts (probably) compare to other strains.
Some interesting links to other yeast comparison charts too.

:mug:

I am holding an unopened packet MJ31 bought at texas farmboy shop in Houston..shall I brew with it?

I am holding an unopened packet MJ31 bought at texas farmboy shop in Houston..shall I brew with it?

Go for it. Unfortunately the beer I brewed with M31 didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but that's more my recipe than the yeast. I used whole homegrown hops in a fine mesh bag that just didn't give me the bitterness I'd hoped for. The yeast character was pretty spot-on though.

I am also looking for a good belgian strain. I can see they have a few. Are any of those good for saisons and Belgian Dark Strong Ales?

If you're looking for a dry yeast for Belgian darks then Fermentis T-58 would be an obvious choice, not the most "shouty" but it's supposedly used by De Struisse who make benchmark beers in that style. Not sure it would work with saisons though. You should also hold a little bit back and add it as a 5-10% seasoning to NEIPA yeast blends, per the ongoing Tree House thread....

A previous thread had some MJ equivalencies, allegedly. I've used M36 quite a bit - it seems fine, I'm waiting to do some big yeast comparison experiments though.

Have been using M42 and M44 for a while now. Just brewed a Belgian with the M31 Tripel yeast (all Pilsner, 15% sugar). I guess with the attenuation it has that OG of 1.061 might deliver a 7.5% abv beer...

PS: assertively hopped with Bramling Cross, which I do not often see in these styles

Brewed a Rye IPA with M42 which turned out good but still a bit catty from the Simcoe. Might be because I dry hopped for 2 Weeks. Maybe it just needs a few Weeks to calm down a bit. I brewed almost the same beer with US-05 and it was significantly smoother.

Has anyone actually brewed a Barley wine with M42?
I was thinking about doing a beer like SN Bigfoot but replacing the Chico with M42 because I want to try not order any new brew stuff until I've used up what I already have. :mug:

This thread has died a little :(

Just wanted to report I will brewing a few beers with MJ yeasts soon and will give some feedback here in the Spring.
First two will be a Brown porter with M36 and an IPA with M42 in a few weeks.
Although I can already say that M42 makes a good IPA.

In March/April I want to use up a pack of M54 but don't feel like making a cali common so it will be a Sticke (secret/strong) Altbier.
Not quite imperial but about 6.5% instead of the normal approx. 5%.

OG 1.060 IBU 42

:rock:

Last edited:
I'd be happy to hear how the Sticke comes out!

Hopefully it's ready sometime in May.

upload_2018-1-19_23-30-32.png

Have you used M54? States on there site not to re-use.

I only used it for a Cali Commom.
Turned out OK but I never had a commercial example so I couldn't compare.

For the Sticke I ill use a new pack but I wouldn't take much notice of them recommending not to reuse it.
Might be some minor flavour/characteristic changes but of course they would rather that we always buy a new pack. :rolleyes:

I’ve used 54 numerous times with great results right from the pouch without rehydration

I used a lager one as well with great results as well, don’t have the specific number with me

I’d like to try a witbier strain next time I do my blue moon style

I pitched rehydrated m54 and i failed to see action for 54 hours I ended up pitching s-05, maybe i got a bad pack

I pitched rehydrated m54 and i failed to see action for 54 hours I ended up pitching s-05, maybe i got a bad pack

That sucks. I'm hoping to find a lager yeast that works well in ale temps like IME 34/70. But clears faster.

I won't be using it for sometime. Will update once i do.

I had bought some 34/70 and didn’t use it because of the poor flocc people were describing, the m54 sounded like a perfect yeast for my low 60 winter basement temp

Have you guys ever considered Notti? Drops like a stone, works well down to about 58 and is very neutral at these temps.

I’ve tried notty several times, once at 58*F actually and i still get that english tartness on my palate, don’t care for it

I have used s-23 saflager a couple times at low ale temps with good results

Really? Mine was very sulphur like. Terrible beer even when it was fully carbed and clear it was not very good - drinkable but not one to try to make again.

Thats promising maybe we won't have the same outcomes with M54 has well!

Really? Mine was very sulphur like. Terrible beer even when it was fully carbed and clear it was not very good - drinkable but not one to try to make again.

Thats promising maybe we won't have the same outcomes with M54 has well!

Not to hijack this thread about MJ but going back through my notes i pitched the s-23 at 52*, I didn’t record the finishing temp but i have to think it rose to 60*f give or take a few points

I brewed that batch about a year ago so I possibly used my cold garage to assist in keeping the temps lower then my usual “cellar” temps

I picked up a mangrove jack lager kit for cheap.
the lager is bitter.
really really bitter.
I saved the yeast and used it for hard cider 1 gal test batch for the heck of it.
That is bitter also.
really really bitter.

I dumped all the yeast.

I'm not experienced enough to know what is going on, I just know I made two things with that yeast and they were undrinkable.

Exactly 54 hours?

lol maybe not exactly 54 but darn close, my buckets have gaskets so i’ve never had a leaky lid issue, so when i don’t see air lock activity after 2+ days something’s up, within 8 hours of direct pitching s-05 i had activity and a krausen forming so possibly the m54 started taking off its hard to say, the fg reading was tasty and that beer’s been on gas for 11 days, i plan to sample it either Tuesday or next weekend, so we shall see

About 6 hours ago I pitched 3 MJ yeasts.
M36 for a Brown porter
M42 for an IPA
M21 for a White IPA

The 42 is already bubbling about every 2 mins - only know because I'm surfing and sitting beside the fermenters ;)

I bottled all beers two days ago.
The porter and IPA barely have any gas in them, which is normal, but the White IPA is already tasting great.
Could almost drink it straight from the fermenter.
Probably because I finished it off at 27oC (approx. 80F) so the beer was warmer and is conditioning quicker, plus more yeast in suspension. It will probably only get better in the next few days so I highly recommend M21 for a white IPA or witbier.
I'll be ordering a few pack for the Summer for a witbier and possibly a session Raging ***** clone.

I'll report back on the other two beers in about a week although the Brown porter will probably take a good month to 6 weeks to hit it's stride.

I'll report back on the other two beers in about a week although the Brown porter will probably take a good month to 6 weeks to hit it's stride.

Currently undecided between going with the good ol' S04 for my next Brown porter or giving it a shot with the M36. Definitely let us know how it progresses!

Currently undecided between going with the good ol' S04 for my next Brown porter or giving it a shot with the M36. Definitely let us know how it progresses!

Will do.
Can tell you already the attenuation was about 77% with OG 1.052 and FG 1.012.
Mashed for an hour at 68oC/154F and fermented between 17 and 18oC in my basement for 12 days ramped up to 21oC for another two 2 days to finish it off (went from 1.013 to 1.012).

Currently conditioning in my basement at 18oC, will try one in about a week.

Last edited:
Turned out pretty good.
Still needs some time to condition but I would say a bit drier than the original.
I'll report back in a month or so.
Good news, aiming to cook my Brown P with M36 in about 2 weeks. Will update with results in 2 months or so as well

Back