What is this residue on my empty bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi all.
I don't have many brews under my belt... On my last batch I used a few clear bottles and noticed some sort of residue after the bottles were rinsed and dried.
The residue goes away without a fight if I use a brush and tap water.

What is it? Is this calcium oxalate and if so, does it mean that me wort was low in calcium?

Thanks

image.jpg

I've noticed something like that on my "clear" bottles after a long soak in Oxy Clean. LIke after 2 weeks in the liquid.

Just curious what this batch was.

I get the same thing. I mix up some Finish or Cascade dishwasher detergent in in some hot water and pour it into the bottle. Shake it around. It comes out pretty easy. This will make the bottles VERY slippery. Be sure to RINSE WELL.

Not sure what the film is but I haven't had a problem cleaning it out.

All the Best,
D. White

Do you have hard water where you live? I have hard water and it leaves a whitish residue like that on everything. It looks like you washed something with soap, but didn't rinse the soap off good enough. There's nothing that can be done about it. If you rinse with more water, it will look the same way after it dries. I think it's caused by calcium in the water. It doesn't hurt anything, it just looks bad.

I've noticed something like that on my "clear" bottles after a long soak in Oxy Clean. LIke after 2 weeks in the liquid.

These bottles have not seen any kind of detergent or sanitising solution. Always cleaned with tap water and brush and baked at 400F prior bottling.

Vinegar, a couple ounces and fill the bottle with water. If it's hard water that should work

Just curious what this batch was.

I get the same thing. I mix up some Finish or Cascade dishwasher detergent in in some hot water and pour it into the bottle. Shake it around. It comes out pretty easy. This will make the bottles VERY slippery. Be sure to RINSE WELL.

Not sure what the film is but I haven't had a problem cleaning it out.

All the Best,
D. White

The beer is an all grain pale ale, water 70ppm Ca, 9 ppm Mg.
Whatever this is it comes off without the need of using any soap, just water and light brushing.

Do you have hard water where you live? I have hard water and it leaves a whitish residue like that on everything. It looks like you washed something with soap, but didn't rinse the soap off good enough. There's nothing that can be done about it. If you rinse with more water, it will look the same way after it dries. I think it's caused by calcium in the water. It doesn't hurt anything, it just looks bad.

I have a similar problem. As previously mentioned, a rinse, or wipe down with white vinegar removes the film.

My tap water is a hard and alkaline as they come, but this is not it. I am positive.

Note the residue starts levelled where the beer was, so it must have come from the beer ... I just want to understand what it is in case it is the result of a deficiency in my process. Other than that I am not bother ...

Actually I am quite bothered and what to know what it is :mad:

I get it too. Not on every batch, but get it on most.

Much to many peoples 'horror', I keep my hoses in a bucket with a couple of gallons of mild bleach solution. I just fill the bottles with that, let sit for a few hours/days, pour back in the bucket and air dry and all is clean. Not much extra work.

Am interested if anyone knows what it is.

I also often re-use the bottles without cleaning this out and it doesn't seem to affect the beer in the bottles.

I have seen that same film with some wheat beers. I figured it was from the protein hazy. How hazy are your beers?

The beer is hazy below 10C (50f), crystal clear at ambient. I haven't read much about chill haze, so I wouldn't know...

Last edited:
Back