Yeast strain questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been reading through a number of these threads about making starters, determining pitch rate, dry yeast FAQ, and reusing yeast strains for months or years, and I haven't been able to find specific answers to my questions.

So I have 3 main questions and couldn't really find an appropriate thread to ask them on.

1.) Is there a thread dedicated to yeast strains and their characteristics/flavors that I missed? Or perhaps an online database that is independent of a manufacturer?

2.) For those of you reusing the same yeast from batch to batch, do you just use the same initial strain for every beer and call it good? or do you keep a large number of strains stored on hand so you have the right yeast for the right beer?

3.) It it possible to "evolve" your own strain for each style? For example, lets say I buy an American Ale yeast and make a massive step starter and get 500 billion cells going. Then I pitch part of that into an Pilsner, part of it into an Amber Ale, and part of it into a Porter. Then I save the slurry from each of those batches and continue to re-pitch them only to that style of beer. Will the yeast gradually become more favorable for that style of beer?

Thanks for any feedback!

1) Not really. The manufacturer websites are pretty accurate generally. Find a few that look promising and then search for its number on here, or google. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...zhqdHUtbmFONUYyZzVEY0E&hl=en&authkey=CP-m-dUJ has a list of alot of strains.

2) I brew every week so when I start a strain I plan of 4-8 batches for that strain. And usually have 2-3 strains going. since most beers are fine with a 2-3 week primary, I always have yeast to harvest on brew day. Ive tested most strains over the years, so I have a small set that I can make any style of beer with. Occasionally there is a one off style that needs a particular yeast, that isnt widely useful. Ill just buy a strain and do 2 batches with it and call it good. Like if I want a belgian wit or something. I dont want 8 wits. Unlike making 8 german lagers, or english ales, which is just fine with me.

3) Yes it will evolve, but it takes time, and will more adapt more to your environmental conditions instead of the style. And we arent sterile on a homebrew scale, so i prefer to restart with a pure culture every 8 batches, if you are washing yeast, and have a bit more equipment, people do go for years.

1) Not really. The manufacturer websites are pretty accurate generally. Find a few that look promising and then search for its number on here, or google. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...thkey=CP-m-dUJ has a list of alot of strains.

Wow that spreadsheet is great, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

i prefer to restart with a pure culture every 8 batches

What kinds of negative effects have you observed from using the strain for too many batches?

The risk of contamination increases each batch, is the main concern. A couple of bacteria or wild yeast will get in each batch. Im overly cautious an pitch a fresh culture every 4-8 batches, ive had no problems with that in years. Practically you can probably go farther if your process is good.

Ive heard that after 5 batches or so you can get the beer to start to genetically drift. (usually flocculation is a usual problem.) Ive never experienced it though.

I only keep 4-5 strains around at a time. I've tried keeping more than that but I find they just sit around and never get used. Only 2 regulars and then 2 that I rotate around every 3 batches or so.

I wonder how much overlap there is between the "core" starters that most HBT brewers keep on hand. What do y'all keep as your go-to's?

I keep Conan for all my IPAs, WY1318 and 1968 for English Ales, WLP004 for stouts and porters, WY3068 for german wheat beers, a cream ale blend for pseudo-lagers, WY3944 for wits, WLP500 530 and 550 for Belgians, and every single saison strain I can get my hand on for my obsession with saisons and blending yeasts

I keep Conan for all my IPAs, WY1318 and 1968 for English Ales, WLP004 for stouts and porters, WY3068 for german wheat beers, a cream ale blend for pseudo-lagers, WY3944 for wits, WLP500 530 and 550 for Belgians, and every single saison strain I can get my hand on for my obsession with saisons and blending yeasts

Thanks for the feedback! If I get enough of these replies I'll build a database of house yeast strains and see if I can ID a common "core group" that most brewers use. My curiosity experiment!

I wonder how much overlap there is between the "core" starters that most HBT brewers keep on hand. What do y'all keep as your go-to's?

I keep 1469 for english, 3787 for belgians, 833 for german lagers, 2000 for czech lagers, 3638 for wheats, and 1335 for american

Back