Kit or a la carte

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best bet for newbie gear

• Any Kit will do

• A la Carte is the only way

• Just use regular kitchen stuff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Robspages

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in getting started with brewing. I am particularly interested in Belgian ales, Scottish wee heavy ales and weisbeir.

As a complete novice itching to get going I am tempted to grab one of the $150 kits from a retailer in the supply thread. But... I am more likely to stick with it as a hobby if I get quality gear from the start.

Is there a *really* good kit available or would I be better served grabbing individual pieces with a budget of around $250?

Lastly, what would be on your shopping list for ale and weisbeir equipment?

Thanks,
Rob

Buy the simple kit. Make about 2 batches. Read and post here often. Don't worry, those 2 batches will be PLENTY tasty!!!

After that, you will know exactly what equipment you want and how to go about upgrading.

You'll save a significant amount of money with a kit and they have different levels of them depending on your budget. The intermediate one from Midwest is really nice for the money.

Equipment for all ales is pretty much the same. You need a way to control temp for lagers, but it's all pretty similar. I'd suggest you find a nice ingredient kit while you're at it and have it all sent at once.

Yep, get a kit. You need the equipment that comes with it, and I don't think you could piece it together cheaper unless you score a deal on craigslist from someone who's giving up the hobby.

Most LHBS will allow you to buy a kit, and let them know what you do or don't want and they will credit/charge you as necessary. Lets face it, who really wants a floating thermometer ;)

Wow. So I guess we have a clear winner.

Thanks for the input! I'll post back with what I end up purchasing although it may be a week or so before I pull the trigger.

I'll have to find a local shop in the meantime with a good supply of malt/hops/oats... shouldn't be too difficult in Amish country.

Rob

Yep, kit's are great. I switched to glass carboys a little bit back. Today my two 6.5 gallon primaries are busy at the moment - so today I made a stout and it went into my handy plastic pale to ferment! You'll always find some use for the 'basic' kit you buy.

Look around and compare.
I got mine from here: http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
Chiller, glass carboy, bench top capper, brew books, pretty much everything but a brew kettle.
If you're sure you will be committed, go for a slightly more complete kit.
A little more up front, but it will save a little more down the road, as well as provide the potential for advanced tequnics that will allow for better tasting beer.

Definatly the kit... It has everything you NEED.. you will find a ton more that you WANT but that is a diffrent topic. Also you will find it difficult to tell the diffrence between need and want in a few months..

Secondly.. Where are you from?? I would take a guess that you are under an hour or so from someone that brews and would/might be willing to take you under their wing.. there are a ton of homebrew clubs all over the place..

SpamDog

The kits really do include what you need to make good beer. I would choose one that has at least one carboy in it but it isn't critical.
Brew with it for awhile and then you will have a better idea of upgrading.
Once you are into it for awhile you will want to get a big brew pot and a wort chiller.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Thanks again for the advice. I was thinking of the glass carboy intermediate kit from Midwest. Something about the Better Bottle's doesn't sit right with me although it appears to just be personal preference that determines which is 'best.'

Spamdog I am in Atglen, PA about an hour west of Philadelphia and 45 minutes north of Wilmington, DE.

Rob

No no no --- do neither

Do NOT get into this activity. It is bad; very baaaad

I got a kit about 3 months ago from my wife; as a fun saturday project. I am only 5 batches into it, but am currently in the process of upgrading to kegging / better fermenting and in the fall --- all grain.

So stay away, stay away!

:)

Kharz - sounds like what I thought I would get myself into... I can now consider myself warned.

Anyone know a crisp, lemon and grassy heffiweisen recipe for my first summer batch?

Midwest wanted $52 for shipping once I had my order all together (not including ingredients) so I looked at all of the other suggestions in the online shopping threads.

I decided to go with AustinHomeBrew.com. My question now is... am I missing anything crucial?

Right now, including shipping I am looking at $231.91 for:
1 x AHS Hefeweizen ingredient kit
1 x 26 quart stainless steel
48 12 oz. beer bottles (roughly 4.5 gallon capacity total...)
1 x Basic beginners kit:
1 x 7 gallon plastic primary fermenter
1 x 6.5 gallon glass carboy w/ stopper and universal bung
1 x 5 gallon glass carboy
1 x Universal drilled stopper
1 x 3-piece airlock
1 x 3/8" standard auto-siphon
1 x 6 feet of 3/8" siphon hose
1 x Spring-loaded bottle filler
1 x Nylon grain bag
1 x Triple scale hydrometer
1 x Floating thermometer
1 x Bottle capper
1 x Bottle caps (100 count)
1 x 21" stainless steel spoon
1 x Cleaner/Sanitizer

Robspages said:
Midwest wanted $52 for shipping once I had my order all together (not including ingredients) so I looked at all of the other suggestions in the online shopping threads.

I decided to go with AustinHomeBrew.com. My question now is... am I missing anything crucial?

That'll do! You'll find stuff that you WANT going forward, but everything you need is in that kit; plus some nice-to-have items.

FIY, I pref to source my 12 oz bottles at the local distributor rather than pay for empty ones. ;)

I would also consider going with better bottles over the glass carboys but that's a preference thing. There are threads discussing the pros & cons.

All in all, great setup, but you asked for feedback so here it is;)

26 qt pot is a weird size...too small for full boils, too big for extract batches. Any reason for that choice?

Also, I wouldn't buy bottles unless you just don't drink enough commercial (or have friends who do) to accumulate them. And 48 won't hold a full 5-gal batch.

Things on the kit I'd ask to have changed (if they'll credit/charge you for differences):
- I'd get 2 x 6.5 gal carboys, rather than a 5. More versatile.
- I'd skip the autosiphon, and get some carboy caps and racking canes per this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910
- The floating hydrometer is useless, especially for extract batches. Takes forever to register a temp change. Upgrade, or delete.
- If you think you're going to do a lot of bottling, upgrade to a bench capper.
- And a stainless spoon is overkill

Youll be jsut fine with what you listed. If you were me, you'd be happier with my changes. Either way, welcome and happy brewing!

Thanks for the advice.

I went with the 26 quart because it was the largest I could afford at the moment. I'm starting with an extract brew - actually a recipe kit. I was hoping the 6.5 gallon would be sufficient to get me started with it.

In terms of dropping things - Has any one had any experiance getting AHB to do that? I could just take the list add individual items to the cart - skipping the spoon, and opting for the larger carboys. Any advice on a decent hydrometer?

I think I'm going to stick with glass for the time being - I can be pretty abrasive when I clean which is bad for the 'Better Bottles' and plastic fermenter.

How about funnels, strainers, hoses, and all that other nonsense that some of these kits include?

This site is great. I spent most of the day reading the glossary, abbreviations section, recipes (let me know how your 777s turn out) and wiki and am itching to get started...

Rob

Robspages said:
Any advice on a decent hydrometer?

I think I'm going to stick with glass for the time being - I can be pretty abrasive when I clean which is bad for the 'Better Bottles' and plastic fermenter.

Plain old hydro works fine and isn't a big loss when you bust it and have to run out to the lhbs for another one.

Abrasive is not even an issue with the better bottles since you never scrub them in the first place...

Ok, the order has been placed!

I grabbed a pair of racking canes and appropriate carboy caps an a funnel in addition to what I had posted before.

If the first few batches turn out to be drinkable - I'll work on getting another 6.5 gal carboy and a bigger pot.

Thanks for all of your help, see you in the recipe thread.

Rob

Latest posts

Back