Racism in a bottle! OMG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's next? Watermelon Malt Liquor?

MILWAUKEE -- Miller Brewing Company said it would introduce a beer flavored with lime and salt in Latino areas, including San Diego, next month.

Miller Chill, modeled after a popular style of Mexican beer called a chelada, will be test-marketed throughout Florida, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, as well as in San Diego.

A spokesman for the Milwaukee-based brewer said the company hopes to eventually expand the line nationwide. He said the low-calorie beer will compete with such mainstream light beers as the top-selling Bud Light and its competitor Coors Light.

Chill will be priced slightly higher than Miller Lite to compete with premium beers such as Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser.

Miller Chill's lime-green bottles feature green and silver modular designs reminiscent of Aztec art, with the word Chill in bold black letters across the front and "Chelada style" below.

Scorching Sugar said:
Chill will be priced slightly higher than Miller Lite to compete with premium beers such as Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser.

lol :tank: :tank:

odele vato

Oh, yuck. They may as well skunk it up too since the lime is for the skunk and the salt on the rim is for the rats that shat on top of the bottles. Article must have been written by a bud drinker eh?

We'll let the rest of the country know how it tastes :rolleyes:.

Why is that racism? They are taloring it to a partiular group. The auto industry does it all the time. You need to look up the definition of racism......

To be honest lime and salt is the best way to drink any light beer. IMHO

JnJ said:
Why is that racism? They are taloring it to a partiular group. The auto industry does it all the time. You need to look up the definition of racism......

It can be percieved as racism because of the following definition (Wikipedia):
Racial prejudice refers to pre-formed opinions about individuals based on their perceived racial heritage. It involves generalizing about members of a group based on the perceived characteristics of one or more members of the group. Generalizations include beliefs that every member of a group has the same personality traits, interests, language, culture, ideas, norms and attitudes. Sometimes the characteristic is correct but the reason or cause is incorrectly assigned. Racial prejudices are sometimes promoted by the mainstream media.

The generalization here is that all Latinos prefer lime in their beer. As a matter of fact they hint at such a suggestion by test marketing it in areas with a high Latino populations.

I don't think the auto industry tailors a specific make/model to any one ethnic group. Ad campaigns yes, makes/models no.

Pumbaa said:
Someone please inform the mexicans they are racist too I guess . . .

All beer brewed in Mexico is Mexican. That beer is sold to a society which happens to be Mexican in heritage. The difference here is that the beer is being marketed to a subsection of a society based on ethnic generalizations.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all up in arms about this. I think it's funny what corporate america will do to try to capture a new market. But wait and see and some special interest group will get a hold of this and start complaining. Did you see the superbowl ad with the two mechanics and the snickers bar? Mars, Inc has already pulled the commercial because of complaints by Gay rights groups! They say it promotes homophobia. OMG!

Ya never know, though, I just may like the beer.

Swami75 said:
Ironically, that's the most stereotypical thing I read in your post.

Exactly! Then you understand how such ethnic generalzations are perpetuated by the media and marketing campaigns in general. And as the last line of the definition states: "Racial prejudices are sometimes promoted by the mainstream media." If this campaign doesn't then nothing I've ever seen does.

Yeah but you know I would market limes and chili powder on mangos first to Mexican American populations as well, I would market roasted chick peas and chili powder to East Indian American populations. These are after all recipes that originated in certain parts of the world. My mom used to date a mexican-american he made great enchiladas and would often squeeze lime in his beer. I don't think it was racism that made him do it it was cultural heritage which he was proud of.

Now if you turn around and ask me if he picked those limes - THATS racism.

What's next? Watermelon Malt Liquor?

A watermelon beer already exists. It's marketed to San Franciscans:D

21ww.jpeg

This reminds me of a trip to Hawaii. We stopped in a small grocery store and I asked the clerk if they had mexican cheese. He looked puzzled, so I said 'You know, shredded cheese mix used in mexican food.'
He told me that was racist, and at first I thought he was kidding. When I realized he wasn't I was stunned. When we got back to the mainland I wanted to send an empty pack of Kraft 'Mexican Cheese' (or any other big dairy) there just so he could see how racist they all were.
I wonder if he would think Italian Bread or French Dressing were racist?

This beer is about as racist as marketing grits to Southerners or Brats to Wisconsinites.

Scorching Sugar said:
The generalization here is that all Latinos prefer lime in their beer. As a matter of fact they hint at such a suggestion by test marketing it in areas with a high Latino populations.

McDonald's serves lobster rolls in Maine and other regional foods. Why can't a beer maker introduce a beer to appeal to a region? If people in a given area like their beer a certain way, then why would a company not take advantage of that? I'm all about fighting racism wherever it exists, but a solid capitalist strategy != racism, IMHO.

Scorching Sugar said:

Congratulations, that's the single dumbest thing I've read on this board since I've been here. Why on earth is it racism when you tailor your product to meet the tastes of a particular market?

They're not forcing Mexicans to walk in the back door and drink nothing but that product - they're giving them a product that they may very well like. That's not racism, it's knowing that there are segments of the population that like different things - it's diversity.

:rolleyes:

ayrton said:
McDonald's serves lobster rolls in Maine

And you can add hatch green chile in Santa Fe to a 1/4 #er. The fact is outside of a certain population few people may think of putting lime in a beer. It is not something they are familiar with. Now if Mr Miller says he will only sell salty/limy beer to mexican populations thats different.

rdwj said:
They're not forcing Mexicans to walk in the back door and drink nothing but that product - they're giving them a product that they may very well like. That's not racism, it's knowing that there are segments of the population that like different things - it's diversity.

:rolleyes:
I would tend to agree rdwj.

Scorching Sugar said:
It can be percieved as racism because of the following definition (Wikipedia):
Racial prejudice refers to pre-formed opinions about individuals based on their perceived racial heritage. It involves generalizing about members of a group based on the perceived characteristics of one or more members of the group. Generalizations include beliefs that every member of a group has the same personality traits, interests, language, culture, ideas, norms and attitudes. Sometimes the characteristic is correct but the reason or cause is incorrectly assigned. Racial prejudices are sometimes promoted by the mainstream media.

So then by your definition, the Milwaukee Brewers should tear down the beer slide in Miller Park and get rid of Bernie Brewer (the real one, not me) because having him run around in lederhosen and sliding into a beer mug is racist and offensive to the German Americans? You're taking your political correctness a bit too far here, Scorchy.

Bernie Brewer said:
So then by your definition, the Milwaukee Brewers should tear down the beer slide in Miller Park and get rid of Bernie Brewer (the real one, not me)

NOT AGAIN!!!!:eek:

Bernie Brewer said:
So then by your definition, the Milwaukee Brewers should tear down the beer slide in Miller Park and get rid of Bernie Brewer (the real one, not me) because having him run around in lederhosen and sliding into a beer mug is racist and offensive to the German Americans? You're taking your political correctness a bit too far here, Scorchy.

Exactly once again! Remember when it was the Marquette Warriors? I do. Got kicked out of the dorms for playin poker too late.

I don't detect any racism here. This is just marketing targeted to a specific demographic.

You can be offended by marketing that is targetted at you without it being racist.

I am offended by those diamond and jewelry ads.

Scorching Sugar said:
And remeber Jesse Jackson steppin' in when Ray Rhodes was fired! My theory ain't that crazy.

Explain to me how giving people what they want is racism.
Does that make woman wanting to give men BJs sexists?

I'm not offended by any advertisement.

Consumerism is so basic: If you don't like the product don't buy it.

How many people here think they're anti-Mexican/racist because they don't like Margarita's? Silly isn't it?;)

I'll just state I don't find it racist either, but I do find Miller trying to make this stuff a bad idea... Bet it goes by the way of Tequiza in short order.

desertBrew said:
I'll just state I don't find it racist either, but I do find Miller trying to make this stuff a bad idea... Bet it goes by the way of Tequiza in short order.

I thought Tequiza was still around.

I'd also like to go on record as saying that I was not offended when they invented Zima for homosexuals. :D

I keed, I keed.

desertBrew said:

Oh yeah, I'd be willing to bet it's going to be Chill Swill.

On the other hand, I bought a quadpack of Éphémère by Unibroue the other day. I wasn't sure I'd like it because it's a fruit beer. The green apple taste is pronounced, but very delectable. I found myself liking it very much.

SwAMi75 said:
I'd also like to go on record as saying that I was not offended when they invented Zima for homosexuals. :D

I always get Zima mixed up with Xena. You know, the Warrier Princess. Do you think she and Gabrielle had something going on there?

beer4breakfast said:
I always get Zima mixed up with Xena. You know, the Warrier Princess. Do you think she and Gabrielle had something going on there?
Honest to god, that show was known to have a HUGE lesbian following.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back