07.07.07 Recipe Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should be the recipe profile for 07.07.07?

• seven grains (any hop combination)

• seven hops (any grain combination)

• seven grains AND seven hops

• seven total ingredients

Results are only viewable after voting.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I thought I could get the ball rolling on this. Hopefully this represents the basic options properly. Which starting point should we use for the recipe?

Good start. I was about to recommend we:

Choose a style (although I thought we settled on APA)
Choose the grain bill and abv
Choose the hops
Choose the adjuncts if any (honey etc)

This probably should answer the grain, or get us close

What about:

3 hops, 4 additions (one hop each)
4 hops, three additions
4 additions of a three hop blend
3 additions of a 4 hop blend
7 1-ounces hop additions total

I voted 7 grains and 7 hops. I didn't mean 7 DIFFERENT hops, though- but seven hops additions. Could be 3 hops, with 4 additions for example. But that wasn't a choice on the poll. :)

7 Grains, 7 hop additions.

As a side:
7 Grain bread w/ beer yeast cut into seven slices with 7 tablespoons of honey-malt-homeade butter.

I think that would be the option for 7 grains and any hop combination that you wanted. I interpreted the 7 grains and 7 hops to mean 7 varieties of each, not 7 additions

Hercules Rockefeller said:
I think that would be the option for 7 grains and any hop combination that you wanted. I interpreted the 7 grains and 7 hops to mean 7 varieties of each, not 7 additions

Yes, that's what I meant by that. I surprised that there is such a large number of people voting for seven total ingredients. I do like the idea of trying to get three 7s out of the deal, one way or another.

Do we need a seperate poll for the hops? At least to settle the 7 hops vs. 7 hop additions?

Brewsmith said:
Do we need a seperate poll for the hops? At least to settle the 7 hops vs. 7 hop additions?

See, to me that's contingent on the answer we get from THIS poll. I don't want seven varieties if we're also doing seven grains - but if we simplify the grain bill and make this a hop-centric brew, I DO want seven distinct varieties in there.

YES, I know it's more expensive. **** it, it's once a year.

YES, I know we won't really be able to distinguish all the characteristics of the varities, it'll be "hop suey." **** it, it's cool.

As long as we do seven decoctions I am cool with whatever ingredients you decide.

I'm all for a 'hop-centric' APA with 7 distinct varieties of hops (preferably trying to find 7 that will somewhat compliment each other although that will be very difficult)...

I'll pass on 7 different grains though. It might be cool, but I don't feel like doin 1oz. of this or 1oz. of that just to get to 7 grains...

The 777 theme isn't THAT important to me... However, whatever you guys decide is what I shall brew. :)

EDIT: Or I'll go for 7 grains with any hop combo... I just wouldn't prefer to do 7 and 7.

I'm starting to recall why I bowed out of the 666 beer. I think I'll just get a bottle of

820703.jpg

And chug it on the 7th

Well, it looks as though between choices 1) and 3), seven grains is a clear winner. I think we'll need a seperate poll on hops.

If it's looking like seven grains is the probable outcome should we debate over grain bill? Here are some options already stated:

Texasgeorge's Grain Bill
8.0 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
1.0 lbs Torrified Wheat
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt
1.0 lbs Honey Malt
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L
0.5 lbs Victory Malt

Brewsmith's Grain Bill
7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

These are pretty similar. Any other suggestions?

Then I think it should be so. Here's a 5.5 gallon recipe to get us to 7.0 SRM:

SG 1.050 (75% eff)

7.00 lb 2-row
1.00 lb Wheat Malt
0.50 lb Vienna
0.50 lb Honey Malt
0.50 lb Crystal 10L
0.50 lb Victory Malt
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt

:mug: Do we have a winner??? :mug:

lets post this as the winner along with the decision on the hops, then we can finally get this recipe posted so we can all go to work on it!!

I really like this recipe, it's achen for some simcoe and amarillo. Bitter maby Chinook or Columbus.

Just a second behind you B4B! My thoughts exactly . Let them count. Keep the confusion outa here. We've got more importantant things to decide on like -----THE RECIPE !

I think that Rdwj, Rhoobarb, me and possible a few others might order together or see what we all have lying around and distribute. Rhoobarb has a mill and by that time Rdwj will probably break down and buy one. We're going to break in Rdwj's keggle and possibly do a 10 gallon batch.

texasgeorge said:
More of a tweak... remove the carapils from mine and sub with your Biscuit.

That is exactly what I suggested on like page 20 of the long thread! Bevereged minds think alike. :mug:

Latest posts

Back