Val dieu yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Anyone know what yeast is used at this brewery? I am going to try to culture some dregs but wanted to make sure it wasn't already available.

My googling came up with nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its a house strain they propagate themselves. I dont believe its available. Sounds like a good one to try to reharvest from the bottle. Good luck.

No go on the bottle harvesting. My first attempt was a flop. The bottle of tripel i got had a best buy date on the cap of 12/2014.

For a tripel I'm guessing that bottle has been sitting on that shelf for maybe 3 or more years? Not sure how they date. The wonderful aroma i smelled when I had a glass at the bar (the whole reason I wanted the yeast) was replaced with a stale, rather unappetizing smell (and taste), from a bottle I fear had been on the well lit and 70 degree shelf far too long.

I made up a starter wort using 50 grams DME to 1 liter and poured the dregs into about 300 ml if that. Into a mason jar with tin foil. Two days later I noticed a fruit fly in there so I chucked it. I smelled it before I threw it out and it smelled just like the bottle had (not very good). I need to try and find some fresh bottles of the blonde maybe and try again.

I've just tried to culture this and failed too.

I drank a bottle of Westvleteren Blond the other day, which uses Westmalle yeast and the character seemed very similar to Val Dieu triple which leads me to think it could possibly be the same.

I've been able to grow Westmalle dregs so I think I'm going to have a bash a a blond beer with that and see if I can get the same character by ramping the temperature up as described in Brew Like A Monk.

Interesting. I need to get a fresher bottle of the val dieu and maybe compare to the westmalle sometime.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-primary-yeast-rare-belgian-bottle-469031/

Check out my attempt at harvesting this yeast from the bottle. I did harvest sucessfully although a friend brought me the bottle directly from the brewery, so it was just over a year old (it sat for a long time since my wife was pregnant at the time and wanted to enjoy it!).

I still haven't tasted the dubbel I made with it but I plan to over christmas.

I used to live by this brewery and biked there often, the grand cru on tap is on par with westy, IMO.

I have a few more bottles of the triple turning up some time this week and I'm going to try harvesting again.

Agree about Grand Cru on tap being amazing. I tried it when I was in Brussels earlier in the year and it was incredible. The triple on tap was mind blowing too.

Interesting. The reason I wanted to try was after having the tripel on tap here in the states. I had the beer at Ebeneezers in Maine so if anywhere outside of Belgium, this is a good place to drink it! The smell of this beer was fantastic.

The bottle I bought at the store was nothing like that, although it was very old and probably sat on the shelves at the store there for years and years.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled and maybe ask the beer store here to order some blond. I am assuming it's all the same yeast and that one has the less ABV.

Interesting. The reason I wanted to try was after having the tripel on tap here in the states. I had the beer at Ebeneezers in Maine so if anywhere outside of Belgium, this is a good place to drink it! The smell of this beer was fantastic.

The bottle I bought at the store was nothing like that, although it was very old and probably sat on the shelves at the store there for years and years.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled and maybe ask the beer store here to order some blond. I am assuming it's all the same yeast and that one has the less ABV.

I tried the blond quite a while back and remembered not really being impressed with it but it will be a good source of yeast. If I try it again then maybe I'll change my mind. I read in a blog that they have their own yeast but it might be fairly similar to other strains.

The bottles of triple I had all came from belgium so I think they were pretty fresh and although the carbonation was different to the tapped version it was still fantastic and had the same amazing smell. I've not found a good way to describe it though.

Latest posts

Back