Non-Weizen beer with Hefeweizen yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
A local brewery was kind enough to fill a growler of yeast for me after I emailed them. I had expected some general clean ale yeast, like a WLP001 but they gave me the yeast from a dark hefeweizen. I have no wheat DME and nearly 35 lbs of light DME. Has anyone brewed or experimented with a "non-wheat weizen?"

Hefe Gersten...I like it!

I figure I could do a little experimenting with half batches and see what I come up with. I once made a "Franken Brew" throwing together a bunch of left over ingredients and it was great. This may be version 2 of that.

I did one about 5 years ago when I realized all the yeast I had was HW.

Now I keep a lot of supplies on-hand. I currently have over 100# DME, 115+# assorted grains, 10+# of hops, 25 assorted packets of yeast and 40+ vials. ;)

Roggenbier doesn't usually have wheat in it and the weizen yeast esters and phenolics are a requirement of the style.

Roggenbier, eh? Can you give some more specifics to the style?

Roggenbier doesn't usually have wheat in it and the weizen yeast esters and phenolics are a requirement of the style.
Yeah, but Roggenbier has rye malt in it, so it's still not good. Unless, of course, you will start doing partial mashes with DME + wheat malt or rye malt...?

Yeah I wasn't really recommending it, just pointing out that those yeast strains aren't used exclusively with wheat based grists.

I think it would be fine with an all barley beer.

I don't even do mini-mashing so the Roggenbier is out for me.

Latest posts

Back