12 Beers Of Christmas 2016!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biochemedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having just survived the 2015 holidays, I've already started thinking about the next, and what homebrew my relatives might be drinking on Xmas Eve 2016...I know this past year I wished I had more ready and on tap!

And with all this thought of holiday beers, it occurred to me: I think it's about time to resurrect the HBT 12 Beers of Christmas!

For those who may have not seen or been aware of past threads, this is a shared brew project that is based on a series of recipes in Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing. 12 homebrewers each brew one of these beers, and then send three of them to each of the 11 other brewers.

The project was first proposed by rhoadsrage in 2011, and was run again in 2012 and 2013. I was part of the first two iterations, first as a participant and then as organizer in 2012, but life got in the way in 2013, so I was unable to participate that last year. For the past 2 years, it seemed no one (including myself) was motivated enough to try and organize things. This year, I want to get it back up and running!

I'm going to borrow a bit from danbrewtan's original post from 2013 for some of the following details:

Here's the general concept:
  • 12 different brewers will brew one of the 12 beers of Christmas found in Randy's Mosher's Radical Brewing.
  • If you don't have the book, can't borrow it, etc., I can PM the recipe to you.
  • Each brewer sends out three 12oz bottles of their beer to the 11 other brewers (33 bottles sent out in total) and receives 3 bottles of each recipe in return. Maybe you drink one, share one, and age the third!?
  • Some of these are fairly big beers, and need some time and aging to be optimal, so planning and brewing early can be critical. If you're bottle conditioning, be ready to bottle in time, etc. Also, one of the beers (Juniper Rye Bock) is a lager, so a brewer with a lagering fridge will be needed for that one.

Shipping:
  • It will cost you some money to send out 11 packages! Getting involved in this project means you'll eventually need to wrap up 11 packages with 3 beers each, and mail them potentially all the way across the country from where you live. You may be looking at about $120 in shipping give or take (but you're getting 33 fancy Christmas beers!).
  • With this in mind, it has been historically a necessity to require that all brewers will need to be located inside the continental U.S.
  • If you can accept packages at a business address, that will save your fellow brewers some money. (For some reason, the big shippers charge less to deliver to a business address...)
  • Speaking of the big shippers, generally if you show up at UPS or FedEx with a well packed, sealed box, they don't ask questions. Technically you aren't supposed to ship liquids via USPS, but in prior years some participants have shipped using Flat Rate boxes from the post office, and haven't had any issues.
  • Shipping will need to occur the week after Thanksgiving (this year, that's the week of Nov 27th thru Dec 3rd.)
  • For reference: In 2012, I posted some (admittedly perhaps overkill) instructions for packaging a 12 oz longneck for shipping, and also a post with some common box sizes that work well for shipping 3 wrapped/bagged longnecks.

Choosing What You Want to Brew:
  • We'll use the same system as previous years: first come first served (with the noted restrictions below...)
  • Reply to this thread if you're interested and let us know which beer you want to brew.
  • As beers are claimed, I will update this post with the brewer's name next to their selection.

How to not be a d*u$hb@g:
  • As much as it pains me to post this part, the simple fact is that, every single year this project has been run, there has been at least one brewer who has simply up and vanished, and at times has been shipped homebrew in good faith before their disappearance has become apparent.
  • After looking over the threads from past years again, I have noted that without fail, the MIA brewers have been both
    1. Unpaid members
    2. Members for much less than 1 year
  • Based on this, I wish to request that all participants be either relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member.
  • Communicate! If for some reason you have to back out, own up to it ASAP, and hopefully allow a replacement brewer to step in.

Here is the list of Beers:

(Having really enjoyed the Fruitcake Old Ale in prior years, and having wanted to brew it for quite some time now, I'm claiming that one to start...)

1) Caramel Quadrupel
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock
4) Juniper Rye Bock
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (biochemedic)
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit
8) Honey Ginger IPA
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
10) Gingerbread Ale (Teromous)
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout
12) Abbey Weizen

Sorry for the long winded post, and especially for the downer parts! This project really is tons of fun, and I hope we all have as much joy out of it this year as I have had in previous!

Brew on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a bit to early for me to commit to this but the idea sounds really fun! I would like to see this for more occasions then next years christmas maybe a summer lawn mower event, I can get behind that....

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun! :) May have to pony up the bucks to become a supporting or lifetime HBT member to participate...Will try and remember to check back in here once my brewing skills get a bit sharper..;)

Well, getting off to a slower start than previous years....realize that it's earlier in the year than we've started before, but wanted to get a head start....just a thread bump.....

Treacheroustexan, that's great, got you on it! I need to see if I can get post editing capability for the first post turned back on, and I'll add you to the list...

BTW, while the book is a very worthy purchase (and the link to the Amazon listing is in the first post), if you or anyone else who participates can't buy or borrow the book, let me know by PM, and I can send you the recipe back via PM.......

Treacheroustexan, that's great, got you on it! I need to see if I can get post editing capability for the first post turned back on, and I'll add you to the list...

BTW, while the book is a very worthy purchase (and the link to the Amazon listing is in the first post), if you or anyone else who participates can't buy or borrow the book, let me know by PM, and I can send you the recipe back via PM.......

Thanks!

I am interested. Just ordered the book. I'd like to do the beer Caramel Quadrupel.

Are we aging these beers?

I would say it depends on the style...the tripel and quad and lambic-style, and even the stout, would probably benefit from some aging prior to mailing. The IPA and weizen, probably not necessary.

I'd expect that the folks brewing the styles conducive to aging would schedule accordingly or mark the bottles appropriately.

Auger --- got you down for the spiced bourbon stout. (One of my) favorites from past.

Binabik --- got you down for the caramel quad. Awesome beer! Made that one last time I was in this trade, and I still have a couple...actually just had one about a week ago, and it's holding up great!

To answer (more fully), you can definitely age some of these beers (especially some of the bigger ones like the caramel quad....) If you're wondering if you can brew now and be ready to go come Thanksgiving, the answer is generally YES...maybe an exception with one or two, such as the Ginger IPA, given that particular style. You will definitely be fine with the quad! The original reason we picked 3 as a number of bottles to ship was: one to try, one to share, and one to age for at least a year until *next* Christmas!

Edit: Auger, you beat me to it!

Edit 2: Auger, fixed that!

Auger --- got you down for the caramel quad. Awesome beer! Made that one last time I was in this trade, and I still have a couple...actually just had one about a week ago, and it's holding up great!

Binabik --- got you down for the spiced bourbon stout. Another of my favorites from past. To answer, you can definitely age some of these beers (especially some of the bigger ones like the caramel quad....) If you're wondering if you can brew now and be ready to go come Thanksgiving, the answer is generally YES...maybe an exception with one or two, such as the Ginger IPA, given that particular style. I think you'd be perfectly fine with the spiced stout, as I recall that one is also pretty big. The original reason we picked 3 as a number of bottles to ship was: one to try, one to share, and one to age for at least a year until *next* Christmas!

Edit: Auger, you beat me to it!

you switched mine and binabik's beers.

you switched mine and binabik's beers.

Got it....

Got a PM out to see if I can get editing re-enabled for the first post, so I'll hopefully be able to add names to the official list later, but tally for now is:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (binabik)
8) Honey Ginger IPA (treacharoustexan)
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (Auger)

5 down, 7 to go! I better start figuring out my dried fruit blend for the Old Ale! If anyone does get started brewing, post pics!

Edit: Forgot the honey ginger IPA!

How to not be a d*u$hb@g:
  • As much as it pains me to post this part, the simple fact is that, every single year this project has been run, there has been at least one brewer who has simply up and vanished, and at times has been shipped homebrew in good faith before their disappearance has become apparent.
  • After looking over the threads from past years again, I have noted that without fail, the MIA brewers have been both
    1. Unpaid members
    2. Members for much less than 1 year
  • Based on this, I wish to request that all participants be either relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member.
  • Communicate! If for some reason you have to back out, own up to it ASAP, and hopefully allow a replacement brewer to step in.

D'oh! Would have been totally interested in this project if I wasn't breaking a few of these rules. As it is, I completely understand -- someone already "forgot" to reciprocate in a trade with me.

In all fairness I should be a supporting member soon, once my article gets approved. :)

Brewing mine this weekend. Will have time to age before sending out (or make a new batch if something goes wrong).

Looking forward to early December!!

Still haven't been able to get editing on the original list enabled, so here's the official list right now:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (binabik)
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel (mike_23us)
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock
4) Juniper Rye Bock (tochsner)
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit
8) Honey Ginger IPA (treacharoustexan)
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (Auger)
12) Abbey Weizen (erick0619)

Passed the half way point, just need 5 more! Still need a lager capable brewer to do the juniper rye bock....

Cool. The recipe says 4 to 6 months lagering so I am looking to brew around May 1st. Thanks for putting this together. Should be pretty cool.

Definitely cool...this was another of my favorite recipes from prior years...remember we will be shooting for a goal of shipping the week after Thanksgiving, which spans the last few days of Nov into Dec.

List is updated....Just need 4 more for a full deck!

Alright I'm in...! I don't have the book or the ability to lager but if somebody sends me a recipe of what's left or is needed - I'll brew it and send it..! Sounds like fun!!

Alright I'm in...! I don't have the book or the ability to lager but if somebody sends me a recipe of what's left or is needed - I'll brew it and send it..! Sounds like fun!!

Dukslayer888, I'm sorry, but as much as we still need 4 brewers, given that you have very recently joined (only 4 months ago now), would you be willing to pony up for a membership so we know you "have some skin in the game?"

As per the original post:

As much as it pains me to post this part, the simple fact is that, every single year this project has been run, there has been at least one brewer who has simply up and vanished, and at times has been shipped homebrew in good faith before their disappearance has become apparent.
After looking over the threads from past years again, I have noted that without fail, the MIA brewers have been both
Unpaid members
Members for much less than 1 year
Based on this, I wish to request that all participants be either relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member.

Now that is an amazing iniciative. How jealous am i for not living across the pond ...
Hope you get all 12, wish i could be 1.
Cheers

Appreciate your understanding...nothing against you personally, just been burned before...

No worries.. I've actually been brewing for 5 years now and was a member of another forum where I signed up for another similar type beer swap, and I was the one that got burned - so I know the deal.

I'll be brewing v1.0 of my abbey weizen this weekend!! I'm hoping to brew a higher og version for the one that actually gets shipped out something around 1.060.

Does any one have experience brewing a higher of version of the Abbey weizen? In the book it states 1.048. for the first run in going to fallow the recipe to a T but in later versions I do want to start raising the og I'm just curious if I should also up the the coriander and the chamomile.

Well I brewed my first version. The thing is it's basically only the base recipe since my absent minded self forgot to pick up the orange peel the coriander and chamomile.

andddd had to use t58 instead of an actually Abbey yeast. At least I will now know what the base recipe tastes like and will adjust the extra ingredients in the following batches.

Back