Visually Appealing Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HWMO and I had fun with an ostrich egg last night.

ostrich omelet dinner.JPG

Looks fun. Where did you get the ostrich egg??

Got the ostrich egg and the duck eggs at Whole Foods (they now have the rights to most of our capital). They also had quail eggs, but we're saving those for another time. I don't have a picture of it, but HWMO used a flathead screwdriver and basically punched a 1/2 inch square out of the shell and shook the egg out. So, after washing it, we have a mostly intact ostrich egg.

how thick is the shell? And did it taste any different than standard hen eggZ?

The shell was probably like 2 mm thick. The egg did taste a little different and its texture wasn't the same. It cooked up with a tougher outside to the omelet (the side that was on the pan), and the inside of the omelet was actually a bit fluffier than normal eggs. It was an indulgent experiment ($20 per ostrich egg).

Ed,
Would you be willing to share the recipe for those wings? They look fantastic!:mug:

Ribs!

0613091908.jpg

I really need to get a better camera. These cell phone pics are not doing it justice.

Ed,
Would you be willing to share the recipe for those wings? They look fantastic!:mug:

Take some wings, cut the tips off, coat with Peanut Oil and Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin Rub and let marinate over night. Put on and elevated grid over lump charcoal at 325 degrees for about 60-70 minutes turning frequently to prevent burning. I also sprinkle some more rub when I first put them on the grid.

Ed,
Thank you for sharing. I'll post a pic. when I try this. It will be soon.:mug:

Click for bigger!

Sushi night for SWMBO birthday. Had this one roll that was spicy salmon and cucumber, tempura'd and the with thinly sliced Jalepeno on the plate. Farcking off the hook delicious.

brisket_3.JPG

brisket4.JPG

The final product. I mix miracle whip, horseradish, and grey poupon with some chipotle chili powder. Spread that on a french dip roll with some pepper jack and provolone. Bake in the oven with a touch of BBQ and it's a good sandwich show here, minus the BBQ sauce.

brisket_sandwich.JPG

I like my Brisket pink and sliced thin. This 5lb piece went 7 hours at 225 degrees. Then I refrigerate for one day and slice.

So the slicer isn't for the cat?

In all seriousness though, that is a beautiful looking sammich.

Here's a recent one of mine. Early summer is awesome for fresh halibut and leeks from the farmer's market. This has a anchovy lemon sauce over the top.

Halibut.jpg

Click for bigger.

These are some tacos that we made up last night with some shredded chicken in a red sauce, beans, rice and then some homemade Jalepeno hot sauce. Delicious and spicy.

Here's a recent one of mine. Early summer is awesome for fresh halibut and leeks from the farmer's market. This has a anchovy lemon sauce over the top.

Halibut.jpg

YUM. I love Halibut. The leeks look fantastic, and you can't go wrong with anchovy and lemon.

Are those corn tortillas Matt? Looks almost like tostadas. Love Mexican and South American food.

yep, white corn tortillas and they are just flat. I love my tacos either massive or tiny. THat way I have either two or 20. I love pork tacos, but SWMBO likes the chicken. I think they are gordito tortillas.

meatballs!
( I used to shoot food for a living.... let me know if this should stay a DIY thread rather than resume thread. )

IMG_02511.JPG

That does look good! Makes me want to get a good camera...no dinero though, so I stick with my iPhone :(

Beef Back Ribs.
Hickory Smoke
Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce on the side

Heaven.
P1020859.JPG

I will post in this post here, but making beef tacos tonight and they are currently cooking.

Back