Father is a lager drinker, thinks home brewing is stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So my father and his friends are only into lagers. They like stuff like Grolsch, Becks, Dos Equis, Modello, Paulaner, Pilsner Urquell, etc.

Since getting into home brewing I cant stand those kinds of beers. They taste empty to me, no flavor, no body, no nothing. I want to expand his horizons when it comes to beer and have him try better beers. Home brew ales + commercial examples like (DFH Punkin, Laginutas Capuccino Stout, Lambic, etc) were not approved.

Please recommend something that will please him. What worked on your stubborn father that thinks home brewing is stupid and waste of time.

I've made a Cream Ale before and it was totally awesome but I did not share it with my parents. I was actually planning on sharing it with a indirect manager at work but while I had it on tap he went away to Europe on a business trip for several weeks. Obviously tasty Cream Ale was gone when he resurfaced.

I want suggestions from lager family of beers. Something with more flavor and aroma that would be a direct comparison to the crap he likes now ;) I want commercial examples since he already disapproves of home brewing in general. I think it would be easier to win over with a commercial example.

I will make the decision on sharing my home brew as I brew it. I havent given my parents any home brew in like 2 years, more for me I guess :) If you look in my signature my beers are not something I would give to lager drinkers.

Rule one. You are allowed to like what you like.

+1. Sorry but it's not our job to shove our tastes down the throats of other people. People are allowed to like what they like. And if we love them, we accept that. There's nothing wrong with liking lagers, or stouts or ales or whatever. It's all beer and it's ALL good.

And it all has it's place.

Man, this thread sure as heck has nothing to do with the spirit of the Holiday does it?

Home brews and craft brews are not for everyone. Let him enjoy his Grolsh, that only means more home brew left for you.

You're not gonna convert a lager drinker by giving them cappuccino stouts and sour beers. Just sayin.

I just want to have him try a better style of lager thats it. I am not trying to have him like other styles. I specifically stated I dont want home brew suggestions of other styles and want commercial examples of more tasteful & fuller bodied lagers. All I want to do is go and buy some good lagers and hook him up. I dont see any harm in asking for help here?

I dont drink lagers so I am all out of ideas.

Pilsner Urquell clone. Its not too hard, and there are some recipes that use melanoidin malt rather than decoction.

So my father and his friends are only into lagers. They like stuff like Grolsch, Becks, Dos Equis, Modello, Paulaner, Pilsner Urquell, etc.

Since getting into home brewing I cant stand those kinds of beers. They taste empty to me, no flavor, no body, no nothing. I want to expand his horizons when it comes to beer and have him try better beers. Home brew ales + commercial examples like (DFH Punkin, Laginutas Capuccino Stout, Lambic, etc) were not approved.

Please recommend something that will please him. What worked on your stubborn father that thinks home brewing is stupid and waste of time.

Kolsch and cream ales tend to go over well with lager drinkers. You could also try brewing a hefe or Belgian wit although that is iffy depending on what kind of character you get out of the yeast.

You might also try some of the British styles - bitter, ESB, etc. something with low IBUs, low alcohol, to see how those go over.

Most important, I find that the most important person you need to please with your brewing is yourself, and your beer-appreciative friends. Trying to convert a lager drinker to homebrew is a daunting task depending on the mindset of the individual you are trying to convert.

Brew something you like, and something that you would be proud to share. Don't waste your time or money on brewing up something just for him - or you could just end up feeling aggrivated.

cheers!

I just want to have him try a better style of lager thats it. I am not trying to have him like other styles. I specifically stated I dont want home brew suggestions of other styles and want commercial examples of more tasteful & fuller bodied lagers. All I want to do is go and buy some good lagers and hook him up. I dont see any harm in asking for help here?

To him, those are good lagers. It's what he enjoys. If you really love him, and want to get him beer, then get him the beer he likes to drink.

Part of growing up, and part of giving, and especially, part of loving, is giving people what they want, not what WE THINK they should have.

The only beer my dad ever liked that I made was Biermuncher's Corn of Three Crops, and one other cream ale (that one escapes me at the moment).

He claimed my last cream ale "almost as good as MGD". He drove up with my brother, 14 hours in a hot car with two small kids, and I met him at the door with a freshly poured pint of cream ale. He said, "That's not none of that homebrewed **** of yours is it?" I answered something like, "Shut up and drink, old man". And he said, "Now THAT is what I"m talking about" and he and my brother kicked the keg that night.

The next day, seeing only "homebrew" on tap, they drove to town and bought MGD.

Take my story for what it's worth.

at least Grolsh comes in flip top bottles.. have him save the empties for you !

All I want to do is go and buy some good lagers and hook him up. I dont see any harm in asking for help here?

Victory Prima Pils
Sam Adams Noble Pils
Upright Brewing The Clash
Kona Longboard Lager
Full Sail Sessions
New Belgium Somersault
Brooklyn Lager
Brooklyn Pilsner
Sierra Nevada Summerfest

To him, those are good lagers. It's what he enjoys. If you really love him, and want to get him beer, then get him the beer he likes to drink.

Part of growing up, and part of giving, and especially, part of loving, is giving people what they want, not what WE THINK they should have.

But I think it's admirable to try and open someone's horizons. It's OK to try and find craft beers that a lover of fizzy yellow beers will ALSO enjoy.

And since this Dad seems to enjoy Paulaner and Urquell, he's not strictly just an American BMC corn & rice lager guy, he could possibly enjoy something made by an american craft brewing company.

Don't think of it as this guy trying to force his Dad to like craft ales, think of it as him trying to find something they can BOTH enjoy together:tank:, and maybe even getting a new customer for the craft beer industry

He drove up with my brother, 14 hours in a hot car with two small kids, and I met him at the door with a freshly poured pint of cream ale.

You are such a good daughter! I have to point this out to my 23 year old girl. :cross:

Heh.. I was already composing my response (above) when you posted this.

Okay.. with this comment in mind, you could try Stella Artois in cans vs. bottles (I actually don't mind drinking a Stella now and then, if it's on tap,and my other choices are limited).

I don't think you can get 50back American Lager in NY (it's brewed in MA) but they may sell it in CT. 50back donates 50% of their profits to veteran's charities, and my favorite local liquor store has said it's pretty good for the style.

Brooklyn brewery makes some tasty beer - you could buy him a six of the Brooklyn lager or Brooklyn pilsner. (I've had the Brooklyn local 2, and it's a pretty good Belgian-style ale)

Actually, I like some of the beers your father likes. But if you want to convert him to the value of homebrewing, brew something like those. Someone above suggested an Urquell clone -- I agree with that. Instead of changing what he likes, prove to him first that freshness matters.

Jeeeezuuus H. Christ. Let the man be. He likes what he likes and there is nothing wrong with that. You want to impress him? make a clone of what HE likes. You will be improving your skill as a brewer when you do it.

Paulaner Helles, Pilsner Urquell and even Grolsch (when fresh) are damn good beers. I suggest that you try cloning a Helles or Czech Pilsner and learn to appreciate those beers. They may SEEM simple... brewing a beer like that is an exercise in subtlety. Give me a properly made Pilsner over an unbalanced kitchen sink beer any day.

Remember, a Czech Pilsner can be 14 Plato (1.056 SG) with 45 IBUs... that's not a wimpy beer

Just brew a lager...

My father only drinks lagers, mostly Bud. I brew a keg of lager for his birthday and Christmas - they don't last long!

Brew him something he likes.

But I think it's admirable to try and open someone's horizons. It's OK to try and find craft beers that a lover of fizzy yellow beers will ALSO enjoy.

Its admirable to try to open someones horizons IF that person wants their horizons opened. Sounds like that's not the case here. :D

wonder if dear old dad is asking his buddies how he can show you the light and get off you off the home made crap and just drank a damn fine moosehead. Im just saying, there is nothing that he can do that to make you decide you like his beers better. He should be given the same latitude and let him enjoy what he likes. At least its not bud light. But in the meantime maybe start working on expanding into some lagers, maybe youll find more styles that you like as well and just may hit on something that he ends up liking.

And since this Dad seems to enjoy Paulaner and Urquell, he's not strictly just an American BMC corn & rice lager guy, he could possibly enjoy something made by an american craft brewing company.

Don't think of it as this guy trying to force his Dad to like craft ales, think of it as him trying to find something they can BOTH enjoy together:tank:, and maybe even getting a new customer for the craft beer industry

Thanks, you are the first who sees my side as it is.

My father and I were born and spent some of our lives in Europe so we are in no way, shape or form associated with BMC crowd. They mostly buy German / Czech beers and I've seen Oktoberfest, dunkels. I want to expand his horizons about the beers and have him say something like "now this is what I'm talking about" when trying craft beers.

Just brew a lager...

My father only drinks lagers, mostly Bud. I brew a keg of lager for his birthday and Christmas - they don't last long!

Brew him something he likes.

I cant brew lagers, there is no way I can maintain the proper temps on consistent basis.

Brew a very light ale. Cream, extra pale ale, or one of the Ales that simulate a lager. Northern Brewer's John Q. Adams Marblehead lager is one. There are other very light ales that might be OK for him.

I am always adding to my equipment and temperature control is on the list so I can do some lagers. Remember there are all kinds of lagers. They are not all BMC types.

If that doesn't work brew a IIPA and tell him to stop and buy something he likes on the way.

Originally Posted by Franc103
The only way to win is not to play.
Originally Posted by Passedpawn
Checkmate!

Yes, trying to brew to get his approval is a no-win situation.

But, giving him some good lagers that you think he will enjoy (and by the way will expand his beer drinking horizons) is a great idea. Here are two ideas:

Anything by Metropolitan Brewing in Chicago. They are a craft brewery specializing in lagers and German style beers. If you can get ahold of some, these would be right up your Dad's alley. Metropolitan Brewing | Flywheel Bright Lager

Go with your local Brooklyn Brewing's Pilsner, which will surely be available to you. Brooklyn Pilsner : Brooklyn Brewery

Cheers!

Just because you get into homebrew doesn't mean you should diss lager. It's the pinnacle of the art and the best beers I've had have all been lagers, but then I lived in Germany for almost ten years so I got to love Pils.

Check out a Weihenstephaner Pils, a TannenZaepfle if you can get it, both outstanding lagers.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the beers your dad likes, but alexdagrate makes some good suggestions. Also, try getting some less-mainstream European versions of the beers he likes.

I also don't see anything wrong with trying to expand his horizons (how many of you liked everything you do now when you first started drinking beer?), just don't cram it down his throat if he isn't interested. My dad doesn't like 90% of what I brew/buy, but I never force it on him. If he's going to be drinking at my house, I'll get some BMC in addition to my usual stock. That way he can drink what he likes and if he wants to branch out and slip a craft brew in there, he can do it at his own pace.

Your father and his friend are very limited in their tastes. To say that an ale is not worthy of them is plain silly. There are quite a few light ale styles that are nearly as challenging to make and have as much, or as little, flavor as a good lager.

It sounds like they are stuck in their ways. Personally I wouldn't bother with trying to change them if they aren't willing to expand their palate. I'd just brew what I liked and if they liked it great, if not, I doubt there is a shortage of imported lagers in Brooklyn.

You can get a clean fermenting ale yeast and use it in a clone recipe. Won't be exactly the same, but it will get you in the ball park. Or maybe try something like Saflager S23 that does a good lager around 60F.

The op said he doesn't drink lagers, it looks like silly runs in the family.

_

I cant brew lagers due to apartment brewer only have feasible options to do ales. There are so many lager styles but a lot more ales. I keep my commercially spent money on ales.

While silly might run in my family, I think cousin kissing might be running in yours! :ban:

Back