Newbie! Ready to bottle and cloudy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyr0maniac

Reaction score
Hey all first post here and first brew down. The beer is ready to bottle but its still quite cloudy, is this normal before bottling?

cheers

What kind of beer? what was the recipe? Starting and ending SG's? anything you can tell us will help those that know the answers (not me) better respond.

What makes you think it's "ready to bottle," just because YOU want it to be???:D

Beer is alive, it's made by living micro-organisms, and because of that it has it's own agenda, own timeframe...And unless you're brewing a hefe, which is supposed to be cloudy, if this beer looks cloudy it needs more time to clear.....so give it to it...respect the yeasties and your beer....your beer will thank you.

I don't even move my beers out of primary til they've sat a month...then to bottle for 3 weeks minimum...I skip secondary...and my beers are clearer and crisper than when I didn't.

Instruction sheets and info in books are only "rules of thumb" and not absolutes...

Patience Padwan...

+1 on the waiting. Check your SG readings and rack to a secondary when they are the same for AT LEAST 3 days. ( i.e. take a reading on days 1 and 3) Then rack to secondary to clear (although i'm sure someone here will direct you to the thread about not using a secondary). Patience is the key. Go ahead and start another brew to take your mind off this one. And Welcome to the obsession!

It's homebrew, it's supposed to be cloudy! Just pour that stuff in the bottles and 3 days you're drinking beer!

he he he...

Just kidding.. What they said! ^^^

n00b here

SG?
:confused:

Specific Gravity

There's the Starting or Original Gravity, which you take before pitching the yeast...as and then the FG which is final gravity, you take that usually at the time of bottling...

When the Specifig Gravity of a beer hasn't changed over three days, it is a good indication that fermentation is complete. That's when you move to the next step like racking in a secondary or bottling.

OG-FGX131 will tell you the alcohol by volume of the beer or wine.

Latest posts

Back