Anyone Brewed Punkin Porter Recipe (Extreme Brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volitan

Reaction score
Yes, I know that it is June, but I'm already thinking of Fall and the pumpkin beer time! I've already found that most of the beer I brew taste better after a 6-8 weeks in the bottle as opposed to 3 weeks. I'd love to go on and get a pumpkin beer brewed in hopes that it will have plenty of fermentation time and time in the bottle by the time the end of October rolls around.

I have the Extreme Brewing book by Sam Calagione. I was curious if anyone had tried the Punkin Porter recipe that was in there. If so, how was it? Any modifications you would make? Do you have any other Pumpkin Porter recipes you would recommend over it?

Thanks,
Brian

I haven't tried it, but I did make a pumpkin amber ale last fall. I used about 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and the aroma/flavor was barely noticeable. If you're looking for a big pumpkin pie hit(I was), then adding it after fermentation might be a better idea. That's what I'm going to try this year.

June is the perfect time to brew a pumpkin ale. You wait too much longer and you’ll be drinking a green pumpkin ale on Halloween.

I know it’s in the book but care to share the recipe?

I brewed the pumpkin porter; I made a couple mistakes, such as forgetting to add the spices until while I was cooling, but it came out very well. A bit on the fruity side, but that may be because I tend to ferment warm (no temperature control).

One big change I made is that I took the pumpkin (fresh, not canned) and roasted it until I could see some decent carmelization on the pumpkin.

I've got a version of the recipe here, but I've noted it down as "modded". I seem to recall that I had to use 2-row since my LHBS didn't have 6-row. I think it was a 1-1 substitution, but don't quote me on that. The notes should be as written in the text. If someone has the book handy they can post the real thing:

Wort Volume: 6.00 Gallons
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.013
ABV: 7.5%
Estimated color: 35.1 SRM
Boil duration: 65 minutes
Fermentation temp: 64°F

Fermentables:
US 2-Row Malt: 2.00 lbs
US Black Malt: 1.00 lbs
Extract - Amber Dried Extract: 4.25 lbs
Extract - Light LME: 3.00 lbs

Hops:
Hallertauer: 1 oz, 60 min
Cascade: 1 oz, 20 min
Hallertauer: .5 oz, 10 min

Other ingredients:
Pumpkin: 32 oz, in mash
Irish moss: .3 oz, in boil
Allspice: .2 oz, in boil @ 5 min
Cinnamon: .2 oz, in boil @ 5 min
Nutmeg: .2 oz, in boil @ 5 min

Extreme Brewing said:
Porters have been brewed in Britain and Ireland for centuries. The style is similar to a stout in color but is usually a bit lighter in alcohol content and body. Porters are also usually a bit sweeter and less roasty than a stout. This porter also has a bit more alcohol (why not?) than the garden-variety porter and will be made with both pumpkin meat and pumpkin pie spices. As with any homebrew recipe, it's always better to use natural, raw ingredients than artificial flavors. Obviously, this is a great beer to share with friends and family during the holiday season.

1. Wash the pumpkin and cut in half. Remove the seeds and stringy innards. Peel the outer skin and cut into roughly 1-inch cubes. Place the cubes in brewpot, cover with water and bring the pot to a low boil for 20 minutes. Mash or run the pumpkin meat through a food processor or blender. Do not discard the boiled water. Return the pumpkin to the brewpot.

2. Add 1/2 gallon cool water, the crushed black patent, and the crushed six-row malt to the brewpot mixture. The six-row malt has enzymes that are not in the crystal malts and will help convert most of the starches in the pumpkin into sugars. Heat the water to 155°F and hold at that temperature for about 45 minutes. After 45-minute mark, pour the grain, pumpkin, and water mixture through the cheesecloth-lined colander into another pot. Return everything that went through the strainer to the brewpot. Top up the brewpot with more water to about 4.5 gallons. Return the pot to the heat.

3. As the water begins to boil, remove the pot from the heat. Add the malt extras (Liquid and dry). Stir to prevent clumping and scorching on the bottom of the pan. Return the pot to the heat.

4. Allow the wort to come up to a boil. After pre-boiling for 5 minutes, add the Hallertau hop pellets and stir. Start timing the 1-hour boil at the point that you make this hope addition.

5. 20 minutes before the end of the boil, add the Cascade hops and the Irish moss, and stir for 1 minute.

6. 10 minutes before the end of the boil, add the last of the Hallertau aroma hop pellets and stir for one minute. 7.5 minutes before the end of the boil, add the spices and stir for one minute.

7. A the 60 minute mark of the boil, turn off the heat source. Stir the word clockwise for 2 minutes as you build up a whirlpool effect. Stop stirring and allow the wort to sit for 10 minutes.

8. Chill the wort.

9. Transfer the wort into the carboy. Aerate for 1 minute.

10. Pitch the yeast into the carboy and aerate for another minute. Top up with water to the 5-gallon mark

11. After primary fermentation is complete (about 7 days), transfer to secondary.

12. In about 2 weeks, your beer should be ready to bottle. Prime and bottle it.

13. Allow the beer to bottle condition for 10 days.

Thank you so much for the feedback! Same for everyone else. I'll be brewing this bad boy soon.

I brewed the pumpkin porter; I made a couple mistakes, such as forgetting to add the spices until while I was cooling, but it came out very well. A bit on the fruity side, but that may be because I tend to ferment warm (no temperature control).

One big change I made is that I took the pumpkin (fresh, not canned) and roasted it until I could see some decent carmelization on the pumpkin.

I've got a version of the recipe here, but I've noted it down as "modded". I seem to recall that I had to use 2-row since my LHBS didn't have 6-row. I think it was a 1-1 substitution, but don't quote me on that. The notes should be as written in the text. If someone has the book handy they can post the real thing:

Fermentables:

Hops:

Other ingredients:

Anyone else brewed this recently and have feedback? Hoping to get it going in time for thanksgiving. How long did fermentation and bottling take you?

Trying to decide whether or not to convert to (more of a) Partial Mash or All Grain. Probably can't do all grain with my small setup, but might try to get rid of one of the extracts. And given that I already have to mash some of it, shouldn't add much more time to the process...

Fermentables:

Hops:

Other ingredients:

Anyone brew this recently that cares to comment on how it turned out? I'd like to do an all-grain version, but I'm not so sure how to deal with the different extracts. I think the original version from the book called for 3.3 lbs Light Liquid extract, 3lbs Amber Dry Extract, and 1lb Dark Dry Extract. I had BrewSmith convert it to all 2-row pale malt. So that makes my grain bill ~13lbs of 2-row pale, and 1lb of black patent. I really feel like it should have some chocolate and/or crystal malt in there though for a porter. Any thoughts? I've done a couple of all-grain batches before, but I've always just used recipes as-is (haven't tried tweaking anyone's recipe before), so I'm a little unsure...

I'm going to brew this on or about August 5. I am wondering about using the pumpkin in the mash/boil vs putting sanitized puree in secondary. Any thoughts?

I roasted at 350 for 70 minutes and added to the mash. I got an excellent, sweet flavor from it. I haven't done the puree method to compare to.

I brewed the recipe from the book. I converted to all DME because I just don't like LME. I think the spice additions are too much. I'd cut them back by 1/3 or 1/2 and let it age at least 3 months.

Just brewed this yesterday, but based on my own version of the recipe from 'Extreme Brewing'

Here she is, I'll let you all know the results come October....

ALL GRAIN(almost)

9Lbs 2-Row

3Lbs Amber DME (5 minutes)

2Lbs 6-Row

4 ounces Black Patent Malt

12 ounces Chocolate Malt

(1) 29 ounce can of pumpkin puree (in the mash)

2 cinnamon sticks (5 minutes)

1 tsp nutmeg (5 minutes)

1 ounce Chinook (20 min)

So what I did was as follows:

Add can of pumpkin puree to mash tun, then fill it with your mash water and mix well until you hit your target temp (I mashed at 152) Then add you all your grains as always. The 6-row will help convert the pumpkin puree starches into sugars. Complete your mash. Get that beautiful boil going and set your timer. First addition is Chinook with 20 min left in boil, then add your Amber DME at 5 minutes remaining, along with the spices. Smells amazing, we will see how she goes!!!

Punkin Porter.jpg

Here is my conversion to All-Grain on the Pumpkin Porter from 'Extreme Brewing'. I have not brewed it yet....but plan to this week or next in hopes that it might be ready in time for October/November (might be a little late). I'm not sure on one of the conversions and what to use so here's the original from the book and then what I'm planning.

Original base grains/extracts:
1lb Black Patent
1.5lb 6-row
3.3lb Light LME
3lb Amber DME
1lb Dark DME
1 oz. Hallertauer (60 mins.)
1 oz. Cascade (20 mins.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer (10 mins)
2 lb. Pumpkin
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
-I think it might have even listed brown sugar too

My grains I'm planning on using:
1lb Black Patent
1.5lb 6-row
4.4lb 2-row
5lb Amber (was thinking Victory or Bairds Brown)
1lb Chocolate (Briess 350L)
(all other items the same as in the book/above)

According to BeerSmith this would give the following set to 70% efficiency (based on grain/hops only) and using California Ale yeast (WLP001).
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
IBU: 30.8
SRM: 57.6
ABV: 6.2

I forgot the book at home so not sure how those compare to the exact numbers.

Any suggestions on the 5lb Amber? Was maybe even thinking about splitting it and using 2.5 Victory and then 2.5 Caramel to compliment out the pumpkin and chocolate flavors. Any other suggestions would be great as well.

I've brewed this beer a few times, both with extract and AG. I'll check my recipe later to comment on the grains but I would definitely suggest cutting back on the spices, by at least half, unless that's the only flavor you want to taste.

I'd love to try an all grain version of this recipe as well. It looks like you may be on to it KJS, but I have the book and it looks like the grains need to be upped in your conversion. The book lists the SG at 1.078, FG at 1.014 and ABV at 8%. Unfortunately it doesn't specify any other parameters.

I know I'm a little late on this post, but I've brewed this recipe before with a few modifications -- basically substituted LME for all DME, added a few fresh other spices (freshly ground allspice, clove, etc) and didn't use pumpkin at all: I used butternut squash.

To this day, it's my favorite extract recipe and love it every time.

I brewed this back in 2009 but i used an immersion blender to puree the pumpkin in the brew pot which worked great. Lots of great flavors in the beer however I was a dope and didn't rack it to a secondary fermenter. I used a bottling bucket with spigot as my primary so on bottling day, a LOT of the pumpkin sediment got into my beers which is ok as long as they're settled when you pour and you're careful. If you're not, its like drinking sand. Delicious sand, but sand nonetheless.

Back