AG, sauteed hop pale ale - 20 min. boil, no sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally did it! It took a little longer than I hoped, (one stupid lack of foresight), but I'm quite pleased. It was a one hour mash and only a 20 min. boil. Chilling took a while though.

This is actually my second attempt at using hot oil to isomerize the AA in hops (and thus allow me to do only a 20 min. boil - pale malt was used to avoid DMS issues). My first attempt this Spring was battering and then deep frying hop pellets. The process worked fine, but when cleaning up I noticed that a lot of the bitterness ended up in the oil. I had hoped that the batter would not only keep the pellets together but also keep the AA in. My theory is simple chemistry. The hotter a reaction, the faster it occurs. If it takes ~1 hr to properly isomerize the AA @ 212 F, it should be a lot quicker at 350 F. For the deep fried hops I added them to the mash tun prior to added the grains. They were just floating there so I got out the stick blender and homogenized em up.

Now I know you all thinking, "What about all that oil??????" Humbug - better living through chemistry. I've been messing around with lecithin, an emulsifier, commonly purified from soybeans. I found that I could improve the head on a beer by putting a drop in the bottom of a glass prior to pouring a beer. Lecithin is not really water soluble and just kind of stuck to the bottom of the glass, but enough dissolved to make a difference in head formation and retention. So, to counteract the oil form deep frying I added some lecithin to the mash.

The deep fried pale ale turned out OK. Some of my friends really liked it, but I was disappointed in the lack of bitterness, since much of it appeared to have stayed in the oil. I had ZERO, NONE, NADA head formation/retention issues with this beer (now all gone) thanks to the lecithin.

So it ws obvious to me, that I would need to sautee the hops and add all of the oil to get the desired bitterness. So this past Saturday I did the next experiment - the Sauteed Hops Pale ale. One of my goals is to speed up the brewing process. And if frying hops weren't crazy enough, I decided to change yet another variable (As a scientist I know better, one should only change one variable at a time) and skipped the sparge and boiled the whole mash (with added water) and then drained it after only a 20 min. boil.

Yeah, nuts.

I set up a small pan with 3 Tbsp of canola oil and let it get hot and then added 17 gms of hop pellets (Nugget). These immediately absorbed all of the oil so I quickly added 3 more Tbsp of oil. The gave me a nice thinnish paste consistency I thought was good for the sautee. I cooked them for about 3 min. and then removed the pan from the heat. I did a quick little taste of the oil and man was it bittter!!!!! I thought I'd add the hops to the mash tun first and my mash water was up to temp., so I added the sauteed hops, oil and all, to the mash tun. I made a nice grey blob floating on top. That's the hops plus 6 Tbsp of canola oil. I added 2 Tbsp of liquid lecithin and gave it a good stir. The oil totally went into solution - no more slick! The lecithin did it's thing. Then I added the grain. No sign of any oil whatsoever. I had done a lot of stirring so my temp had dropped a bit so I had to apply more heat. It took about 10 min. to get back up to my target of 154 F. After a 1 hr mash I took off my mash tun's insulation and put it on my burner. (interestingly, the grains didn't settle like normal over the course of the mash, they were still up to the surface - 8.5 lbs grain in 3 gal).

I added 3 gal of hot water from my HLT and brought the whole thing, grains and all, to a boil (pH was in the desired range). As soon as it came to a boil I added some hops (Chinook), and then 15 min. later more hops (Cascade). The total boil time was only 20 min. Then stupid me, realized I had forgot one detail. I bring my pot back indoors and hook it up to my plate chiller like normal, and open the valve, only to see a big wad of grain go right into my plate chilller. Ooops, I had forgot about vorlaufing. (Idiot!!!!!) So I quickly dissamble the chiller and I re-plumb to voraluf mode and do a quick vorlauf (with the pump). Luckily a quick backflush and the chiller was fine. I quick also decided to use my hopback (w/Cascade) to act as another filter prior to the plate chiller. I get it all hooked back up and I'm in business. About halfway through it sticks on me - I had vorlaufed too long while getting the hopback set up - plus I meant to add some rice hulls but forgot. I unstick it, re-vorlauf and I'm back in business. I ended up with only 4 gal into the carboy - I should have added more water before boiling. Tasted pretty good. Definitely some bitterness in there. Pitched with a cake of White labs Pacific ale yeast. Was bubbling within 12 hrs. Has a nice 3" of krausen now.

So far there seems to be no issues with the oil and foam. I was a little concerned that the yeast might not like all that lecithin, but they seem to be happy so far.

The oil/lecithin combo makes perfect since honestly. I think that is a great idea.

So, by frying the hops you were able to cut the boil time down to 20 min. I think the only concern would be if you need to boil off alot of water first. Will boiling longer cause more alpha acids to come out of the oil/hops mixture? I wonder what the extraction rate it when frying.

The oil/lecithin combo makes perfect since honestly. I think that is a great idea.

That's what I thought. If oil is a head killer, why not just add an emulsifier to negate it's affects. Then I started thinking crazy thoughts.

So, by frying the hops you were able to cut the boil time down to 20 min. I think the only concern would be if you need to boil off alot of water first. Will boiling longer cause more alpha acids to come out of the oil/hops mixture? I wonder what the extraction rate it when frying.

The only reason one needs to boil off more water is to reduce the volume to hit a target OG after sparging . There is an active discussion on here about no sparge brewing. Sure you loose efficiency but it takes less time. This is what happens in a partigyle style where the first runnings are kept separate. However here they do the sparge for the small beer which increases the overall efficiency.

It is my understanding that the AA are sparingly soluble in water, therefore I suspect they are much more soluble in oil. However, having them in oil is of no use. But, heat them up long enough (our hot enough) and they should isomerize and become water soluble. Lecithin too should help to solubleize them. I don't think I'd get much more out with the 20 min. boil. I have no idea what the extraction rate with frying is. The oil was quite bitter though and the sample I tasted seemed about right for the projected IBU's (calculated as if I had done a 60 min. boil)

I'm hoping the yeast will eat up most of the fat. By making it soluble by adding the lecithin, it should be much more available to the yeast. Any free fatty acids will absolutely be taken up by the yeast. It is unclear if the Di- and Triacylglycerides can be taken up by the yeast. There are very limited published reports saying it can, but none that I came across that said it can't. I could add some lipase, that would do the trick

A pale ale won't last long around here :drunk:

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion that you made the oil soluble by adding lecithin. Lecithin is composed primary of the phospholipid phosphatidylcholine which is amphipathic. Amphipathic molecules can "coat" hydrophobic molecules (such as oil) by orientating their hydrophobic regions toward the oil droplet and their hydrophilic regions towards the water molecule. So I would say that lecithin is more "coating" then actually solubilizing the oil into the mash water. This essentially makes lecithin/oil droplet micelles. I bring this up because the impact these micelles may have on your finished products as well as what is might mean for your perceived bitterness.

In other words, will the yeast be able to take up and metabolize all of those fatty acids if they are found in micelles? I don't know. Also, will the isomerized alpha acids from your the oil treatment actually up in aqueous phase of the beer if it is now "packaged" in micelles? Furthermore, will isomerized alpha acids that remain in micelles be perceived as bitter by the drinker? Again, I don't know.

Another thing that confused me was your altered sparging/boiling routine. Do you routinely boil the entire mash? I can see the shortened boil because of the increased utilization of the bittering hops by the saute method, but why didn't you mash and sparge normally and then add the oil to the boil (in an effort to change one thing and keep the rest the same)?

Interesting experiment...I'd really like to know how it turns out.

Oh I agree that soluble is technically not correct, I emulsified it. However, being evenly dispersed throughout, it will be much more accessable to the yeast - as opposed to as an oil slick on top. The presence of micelles might even help with the uptake via endocytosis. If they aren't taken up by endocytosis, I don't think the micelles would pose a barrier to uptake of fatty acids via transport across the membrane. It's the Di- and Triglycerides I'm more concerned about. Actually I just remembered there are lipases present in malted barley, and by adding the oil to the mash, I might have gotten some breakdown of the triglycerides

I'm hopeing that once isomerized by heating in oil, the AA will become water soluble, just like if they had been boiled for 1 hr. The hydrometer sample tasted about like I expected for the "predicted" IBUs

This was the first time I'd boiled the entire mash. I could have sparged and then boiled, but I wanted to do a no sparge (and the entire boil). I just vorlaufed and drained (eventually). I know this is adding a second variable and goes against all my scientific training. But, it is just beer, and based on my deep frying I knew the bitterness would end up in the oil, and I've been messing with lecithin, and I know what a beer with only a 20 min. boil tastes like. So now I'll find out what boiling all the grain for 20 min. tastes like and how we'll the bitterness can be usefully extracted by frying in oil

First Update.

I kegged this beer last night. 4 weeks in primary. Neither I nor my wife detected any signs of tannins in the hydrometer sample. It actually tasted pretty good. It certainly looks like going over 170 F is not enough to get unwanted tannins in your beer. The bitterness was a bit lower than I'd like, but this may have been covered up a bit by the hopback addition of Cascade hops as well as from the fairly good body. It is definitely more bitter than using the deep fried hop though.

No sign of any leftover oil. I couldn't check for any foam issues as I keep splashing to a minimum when kegging. It behaved like any other beer. I suppose I should have left some of the sample in the hydrometer tube and shook it. I just drank it down instead. :drunk:

I feel like I've read that the vigorous action of a boil is key to isomerizing AA. Hops added to a still wort don't contribute bitterness. With the sauteeing method, do you worry that you're missing this?

Of course, you did mention that isoAA aren't very soluable in water anyways, so maybe that's why the vigorous boil is necessary, whereas when sauteed they are more easily isomerized.

I don't think I'd ever try this but man I love the application of science.

I feel like I've read that the vigorous action of a boil is key to isomerizing AA. Hops added to a still wort don't contribute bitterness. With the sauteeing method, do you worry that you're missing this?

Of course, you did mention that isoAA aren't very soluable in water anyways, so maybe that's why the vigorous boil is necessary, whereas when sauteed they are more easily isomerized.

I don't think I'd ever try this but man I love the application of science.

My reasoning is that the isomerizing takes 30-60 min. at 212 F, but I'm heating the hops in the oil at 350 F so that reaction should be a lot faster. The oil was quite bitter after the cooking. The sample I just took was definitely more bitter than what one would get from 20 min. of boiling.

Hey pjj2ba: Way to represent Penn State!

You have me thinking about possibilities with a pressure cooker...hmmmm.....

I think a pressure cooker would speed up the reaction.

While I do work here, I got my degrees from Michigan State. Go Spartans! :D My wife however did grow up here, and is a PSU alumni. We met at MSU, then spent some time in CA and IN before ending up here

I'm reading this and it got me thinking, hops is part of the hemp family. THC is not water soluble but it is oil and alcohol soluble. What if you soaked the hops in everclear to desolve the hop oils and add that to the short boil. Personally I don't think I'd add oil to my beer but that's just me. If the whole reason your doing this is to cut down on the amount of time you have to boil then I would think the alcohol soak would do the same. It takes about 2 weeks for THC to desolve in everclear so a 2 week soak of hops should get pretty much all the bittering oils you want from the hops. I might even try this. Would be cool to see both sides of this little adventure in brewing

I like the everclear idea, the alcohol would boil right off anyway.

but... the isoalphaacids are what contribute the bitterness, if you did the everclear thing, I think the bitterness might precipitate out, because although the bitterness would be added in an alcoholic medium, the wort would have no alcohol when the boil was over. That makes me think that the bitterness would not dissolve into the wort.

You wouldn't isomerize the alpha acids if you just soaked them in alcohol. You would just make hop flavored spirits.

You wouldn't isomerize the alpha acids if you just soaked them in alcohol. You would just make hop flavored spirits.

The way I'm seeing it, you wouldn't be worried about isomerizing the hop oils, your extracting the hop oils with the alcohol, no need to isomerize. Its pretty much the same way they make hop extract. Once the oils have been extracted by the alcohol, the properties of the oils have been changed and are now part of your alcohol mixture, alcohol mixes with water easily

The way I'm seeing it, you wouldn't be worried about isomerizing the hop oils, your extracting the hop oils with the alcohol, no need to isomerize. Its pretty much the same way they make hop extract. Once the oils have been extracted by the alcohol, the properties of the oils have been changed and are now part of your alcohol mixture, alcohol mixes with water easily

If I recall properly, it is not just the solubility that is affected by the isomerization, but also the bittering. The isomerized AA are more bitter than the non-isomerized versions.

It might work great for the "no hop" dry hop, but not so well for bittering.

I did a quick look around. One can buy isomerized or non-isomerized hop extracts. The non-isomerized extracts, still require boiling to isomerize them. The isomerized extracts can be added any time in the boil.

Back