1 gallon batch= BAD IDEA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I first started this mead thing, I royally screwed up a 3 gallon batch...before I found HBT.
Then I decided to try a 1 gallon batch...just in case.
I have been making a lot of 1 gallon batches...cause it's cost effective, and lots of fun.
Tonight I try that first bottle from the original 1 gallon batch that yielded 3 regular 750 bottles and 3 little 375ml. This stuff is awesome.:rockin: Right? Except for the 1 750 bottle I gave away, and the little one I have open now...that leaves me with 2 of each siZe. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. For the time involved in waiting for a mead and the cost of a 3 gallon fermentor with lid from Home Brew Heaven...I'm not making less than 3 gallons any more.

BigKahuna said:
When I first started this mead thing, I royally screwed up a 3 gallon batch...before I found HBT.
I have been making a lot of 1 gallon batches...cause it's cost effective, and lots of fun.
Tonight I try that first bottle from the original 1 gallon batch that yielded 3 regular 750 bottles and 3 little 375ml. This stuff is awesome.:rockin: Right? Except for the 1 750 bottle I gave away, and the little one I have open now...that leaves me with 2 of each siZe. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. For the time involved in waiting for a mead and the cost of a 3 gallon fermentor with lid from Home Brew Heaven...I'm not making less than 3 gallons any more.

Well, then it's time to post some of those mead recipes in the database- I'd try the cinnamon apple mead if that's one of the good ones! I don't make mead often (it's not really my thing) but on a cold winter night, an after dinner glass of mead is warming and romantic.

I have a one gallon "drink as I go" batch that is sort of becoming the braggot I want to have gallons of someday.

FWIW be REAL careful dryhopping a mead.

I know what you mean. with mead now, the smallest batch I do is 2.5 gallons (I have two 2.5gal carboys, and a 3gal carboy plus two 5 gal ones).

1 gal is rough for a drink that could take a year to hit peak flavor...all your bi-monthly samples would be long gone after a year.

We figure that it takes the same amount of time to do 1 gallon as 1000 so why not make a lot?

YooperBrew said:
Well, then it's time to post some of those mead recipes in the database- I'd try the cinnamon apple mead if that's one of the good ones! I don't make mead often (it's not really my thing) but on a cold winter night, an after dinner glass of mead is warming and romantic.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64034
POSTED!
I would call it very interesting. I will do this again, but I think I'll call it a cyser next time. I have one with Apple Juice, but it's not quite as good.

Interesting point of view.

All I make is mead, and I love to use 1 gallon batches. They are really handy for experimenting with new flavors, and they take up less space.

I always have at least 2 5 or 6 gallon batches going at any given time... but I make a new 1 gallon batch quite frequently... that way, if I make enough, I don't have to worry about running out too soon. ;)

So lemme get this straight,

ur problem is that ur mead is too good.

**** you

that is all:D

Back