brewed this a few weeks ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtbagHB

Reaction score
havent got a name for this glutenfreewizen yet

7# tapioca syrup
1# clover honey
4# hulled millet, roasted 1 week before brew day to caramel color, cracked on brew day, steeped at 150F for 1 hour
12oz maltodextrin
4 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp irish moss

.5oz czech saaz @ 60min
.25oz czech saaz at 30min
.25 oz czech saaz at 15min

GF hazelnut extract added at kegging ~1.5tsp

no OG
no FG
(really should start taking these, man im lazy)

pitched 500ml of home isolated and cultured heffe yeast (i can be brand specific later. isolated heffe yeast on potato dextrose agar plates, inoculated test tube containing 10 ml GF wort with single yeast colony, inoculated 500ml flask of GF wort with test tube contents)

volume into primary 6 gal. 1 week fementation, 1 week secondary.

final volume into keg: 5 gal (had a lot of trub in the bottom of the primary and in the bottom of the secondary)

force carbed with 40psi, dispense at 5psi

notes: this beer is REALLY hazy, but that might be due to the shortened secondary time, its also really sweet, might be due to the maltodextrin and millet, but i might add that it isnt overly sweet (albeit borderline). the hazel nut has added a good flavor and mellowed out some of the overly sweetness.
i might cut back on the tapioca. i took a liter bottle of it to jackson hole skiing with me saturday, and ill say there is booze in it, a lot of booze that couldnt be tasted, it kept me nice and warm all day

comment: the non-GF gf took a sampler glass and put a few drop of lemon juice into it (prehazelnut) and it tasted just like Mike's Hard Lemonaid.

That IS a lot of maltodextrine but I wonder how the gravity finished...it could still have had some residual sweetness that didn't completly ferment out. Honey can sometimes do that (right?) but I might also say it has something to do with the tapioca syrup- any ideas on the fermentability of that?

I'll prolly cut the maltodextrin to 10 oz. It certainly doesn't taste watery. I have mo idea the fermentibity tapioca. I haven't had a batch finish so sweet before. My thoughts lead me to the millet or the yeast. I used a hefe yeast so that may have something to do with it. But mostly I think the starch from the millet is the culprit.
Glad to hear the brews are due to arrive

I'm interested to hear how this one turns out. From what I've read, tapioca doesn't offer much flavor and I've never heard of anyone using it as their base malt.

So far my gf likes it, for once she says I haven't over hopped it. I like it, but it's really sweet. Got a glass of it right now. I'm going to try the same recipe again prolly Thursday. I'll cut the maltodextrin to 10oz and half the millet. Hopefully that cuts out some of the sweetness. I'm pondering uppin the hops but I'm not sure yet. I'll pitch with the trub left over sitting in secondary right now

Latest posts

Back