Strange thing happens now when I dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

I used White Lab 007 yeast in my latest IPA. After about 5 days, it had fermented finished (80% attenuation), I transfered to second carboy and added about 3oz of pellet hops. Now, after another 5 days, it is still bubbling like a opened soda. I expected it to start bubbling again when I added the hops...but it still going. I am wondering what is happening. Is it still fermenting? Maybe I need to take another reading and see if it lowered the FG....

bubbles do not equal fermentation. Measuring sugar content with a hydrometer is the only way to really see whats going on as far as fermentation.

Co2 coming out...you did open your fermenter and probably nudged it, as well as adding the hops which changed the "equilibrium" of the co2 in the headspace, and also probably a shift in temps and even atmosphereic pressure. Remember, all and airlock is is a valve, a vent to release EXCESS co2...Not an accurate gauge of fermentation....all it means is that co2 is needing to come out...and nothing more.

the attenuation is great, so my guess is the 3oz of hops. There is some (just some) dissolved co2 in the beer, which is getting nice nucleation sites on the rough hop pellets. Now the beer is really flat! Its not a bad thing, you might need to adjust your priming sugar if you bottle beer, or just carb as usual if you keg.

Co2 coming out...you did open your fermenter and probably nudged it, as well as adding the hops which changed the "equilibrium" of the co2 in the headspace, and also probably a shift in temps and even atmosphereic pressure. Remember, all and airlock is is a valve, a vent to release EXCESS co2...Not an accurate gauge of fermentation....all it means is that co2 is needing to come out...and nothing more.

My God Revvy, don't you get tried of explaining that nearly everyday?

I know the airlock is not an accurate gauge in fermentation. My scenario was just something I had not seen before. Now I have seen it, and I appreciate all explanation I've gotten.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back