Pacman users please take a look here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hello,
I used a big starter of Pacman on a Yoopers Fat Sam Amber...carbing up in a keg now.... seems like it will be an awesome brew.

This was my first liquid yeast experience and first with Pacman.

I siphoned off the beer out of Primary and poured a pint or so of distilled water on the cake, shook up the yeast cake expecting the slurry to be like a S-05 or Nottingham cake.
It was very thick and there was no way an auto siphon was going to work to wash this yeast and put it into some jars.
So I just turned the primary carboy upside down and poured some of the thick sludge into a funnel into 2 - 1/2 gallon jugs then poured a little more distilled water on top of the sludge.

It has now been in the fridge for a few days and looks like the below.
Problem is I can not tell if this is all yeast or mixed trub and yeast or what?

I have practiced cleaning yeast with some S-05 and this pacman does not have a clear yeast/trub line.

thoughts?

7188592807_b94f4ec1cb_c.jpg

7373826598_33cc6bb615_b.jpg

thanks for looking
Kevin

When I washed my pacman last weekend it had an obvious line. But that was with quite a bit of hops. The more you keep out of your fermenter the less to rinse off I imagine. If you are worried then I would swirl it up again and see if you get the trub line. If you don't then I would assume its mostly good yeast.

I washed some Pacman a couple days ago and I do not have a trub line either......however, I added a liter of water and only took a pint of yeast so I'm assuming mine is purely yeast. I did this because I will continue to wash this yeast for a few more generations before starting over. There's no way I would use multiple generations of multiple jars before it went "bad" in my fridge.

Just before repitching a yeast slurry I usually shake the yeast container and stir everything up. Then I give it 10 minutes for dead yeast and trub to fall to the bottom and pour in the proper amount from the top.

Just before repitching a yeast slurry I usually shake the yeast container and stir everything up. Then I give it 10 minutes for dead yeast and trub to fall to the bottom and pour in the proper amount from the top.

I generally don't wash yeast when collecting it. When using it within a month, I'll take a pint of the slurry (stored in pint mason jars), drain off the liquid, add it to almost a gallon of water, shake it and let it sit for 10 to 30 minutes to let dead yeast and trub drop out, then add the milky liquid to the beer. Since I only do a partial boil, I have to add a couple of gallons of water anyway.

I shook up the jars and let them settle for a couple of days and this is what I have now

7398596480_787b384aab_c.jpg

I see a little bit of white showing any other ideas?
There was a fair bit of trub/yeast in this batch...probably about one inch thick in the bottom of the carboy before I racked to secondary.

I dont want to over pitch the next batch but under pitch either....

thanks Kevin

Use a lot more water. Shake it up and leave it for 10 to 20 minutes and then pour off (and collect) the liquid. Do this a couple of times and you should get rid of most of the trub.

Pitch the trub if you can't get rid if it..ain't going to hurt your beer, unless it was really hoppy or something like that.

I use all pacman and most of the time I don't even clean yeast. I pitch on top r just take the top and go with it.

If you get some trub ain't going to ruin the beer.

RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back