Holiday Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a lighter gravity Christmas beer with some spice and a wheat beer base. Something like a Dunkelwiezen (but maltier/thicker) with a Belgian yeast (t-58 or 3787), low hoppiness, and cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel.

1054, about 20 ibu, mash medium high to get some mouth-feel and sweetness to back up the spices, fermenting low-medium to stay away from banana.

40% Wheat Malt
30% Pale Malt
10% Munich Malt
6% C80
5% Dark Brown Sugar
4% Aromatic
3% Special B
2% Acid Malt (pH adjustment)

Thoughts? A few ounces of chocolate for color? How much on the spices? Or is this even a good idea?

I've made a bunch of christmas beers. My suggestion, skip cinnamon. In fact, skip all the spices. My next holiday beer will be something rich, like your grain bill, with a nutty flavor like hazelnut. I'd consider some orange peel to. I'm sick of spice beers.

But if you really want the spices, that malt bill looks great. With spices, if you don't make a big beer with lots of residual sweetness, the spices are overbearing. I can't imagine a low-ABV spice beer, but good luck.

I've never done one, and obviously don't have time to go big this year (next year I'll do it). I've had some commercial examples that I liked, so I'm thinking I'd like to give it a shot without overdoing it. I'm going to adjust spice bill according to OG, but where would be a good starting point for something this size?

T-58 starter is starting for a Monday brew day. I'll ferment in basement around ambient of 62 for the first day or two with a blanket around it, and move it upstairs after a few days. T-58 seems to finish a bit high for me, so that should work out for this beer.

Just remember a little spice goes a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG way. I've done 3 spice beers and every time the spice overpowers everything. I'd skip the spice just as passedpawn said.

Part of what I want from this beer is the spices, since I've never done a spiced ale before. I'm make sure to start out on the lower end, though, and add more at bottling if necessary.

Hit my numbers pretty darn well. It smells great so far, with a wonderful spice aroma. We'll see what happens over fermentation. I went with the zest of 2 oranges, 1 cinnamon stick, and 3/16 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg all added at 5 minutes left in the boil.

The gravity sample was maybe a little spice heavy, so I'm hoping they'll mellow some with time and CO2 scrubbing from fermentation. About 18 hours after pitching, the airlock is already bubbling strong!

I'll update with my results for posterity's sake, in case someone in the future wants to do a similar beer and find this via search.

I just tried my first bottle at 15 days from brewing. I'm calling it a success. I rushed things a bit to get it drinkable for a Turkey-Day get-together by keeping it cool for the first day or two, then letting it warm a little, and sitting it next to a heat vent to get the yeast to finish strong after 3-4 days total. Consistent gravity readings at 1018 over a few days and I bottled it, leaving the box next to the heat vent to carb it fast. (Don't snitch on me to the 3-week-bottle-carb Gestapo).

If anything, the spices are a little too subdued at this point, so I'd maybe add a little more if I did this again, but this is a good level to my palate. I did sub out the Special B for Crystal 120 because I had some on hand. Otherwise, it's got a nice malt flavor and aroma underneath, and is carbing up decently so far, and something I'll definitely consider next year.

you might be able to hide the spicing in the body since you have lots of wheat. you're planning on using 1056 similar to bell's oberon or blue moon. both of those work well with mild spice.

I used T-58, as mentioned in my OP. I wanted the extra body from a less attenuating yeast. Pitched at 62, let it go to 64 the first day. Spiked to 68 when ferm started up and then back down to 64 over the next 24 hours. After that I ramped it up (it got way up) to help it finish faster.

Latest posts

Back