Extract Yakima Glory Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at my own pure recipe from scratch so appreciate comments and suggestions.

From Victory's website and blogs we can tell that they use four Yakima hops. As far as malts they say imported german. Pilsner, Vienna, Munich, caramel and chocolate.

6 lb Briess Pilsen DME
3.3 lb Briess Munich DME
1 lb Carafa III
.5 lb Vienna
.5 CaraRed
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
1 oz Nugget (20 min)
1 oz Columbus (15 min)
1 oz Nugget (10 min)
1 oz Willamette (5 min)
1 oz Cascade (1 min)
1 oz Willamette (Dry Hop)
1 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

From beer calculus OG = 1.076 FG = 1.024 ABV = 6.9% IBU = 56.5

I tried to stick with the German malt theme for extract and grains. Picked four Yakima hops and stuck with it. Worried about the yeast being strong enough but let me know what you think. Thanks!

1 lb of carafa III will make a nearly black beer (Yakima Glory is amerish-brown IIRC). I'd think you'd only need a few ounces since extract beers tend to be a bit darker than their all-grain equivalents.

The Vienna needs to be mashed, so I'd suggest just skipping it (you won't notice half a pound anyway).

Hop bill looks fine to me (although I tend to push all my hops to the start/end of the boil for hoppy beers).

Otherwise looks fine, just make sure you've got enough yeast (big starter) for such a strong beer.

Hope that helps, good luck brewing.

Taking another stab at this. After reading some comments on partial mashing (already been steeping grains) I am planning on doing that for the Vienna/Carafa/Caravienne.

6 lb Pilsen DME
3 lb Munich LME
1 lb Vienna
.5 lb Carafa III
.5 lb Caravienne
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
1 oz Nugget (20 min)
1 oz Columbus (15 min)
1 oz Nugget (10 min)
1 oz Willamette (5 min)
1 oz Cascade (Flameout for 10 min)
1 oz Willamette (DH)
1 oz Cascade (DH)
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite

OG = 1.086 FG = 1.020 ABV = 8.8% IBU = 60.8 SRM = 27.

Yeast should be good to fully ferment the beer. I assume that I will not get full mash efficiency my first time so this might drop me a few points of ABV but will still leave me in the range of the actual beer. Very excited to brew this but thinking I will do a half batch first to see how it goes. Again leave me comments I appreciate it!

Please keep us updated on how this turns out. I'd like to brew this beer someday too... it's awesome stuff!

Still waiting to brew this. Waiting for a GF Pumpkin Ale to finish fermenting before I can go ahead with this.

Just transferred to secondary. Think I got a faulty reading on my OG so I won't know the actual ABV but it is looking good so far.

Cool. Looking forward to your final results. This beer is definitely one I'd like to brew if yours turns out well.

Bottled tonight after a week dryhopping. Definitely a similar taste with the combination of german malts and hoppyness but compared to the real Yakima Glory it is not as high in bitterness. If you were to make this yourself I would recommend upping the IBU's with more bittering hops or moving the hop schedule around.

Had one of these last night and had to go back for a second. Hop aroma is phenomenal! Malt and hop flavors fuse so well it's amazing. Like I mentioned last post if you are going for a true Yakima Glory clone you should definitely up the IBU's. That's not to say this beer ended up out of the IPA range of bitterness but Yakima is very pronounced.

Just brewed this tonight. One of my favorite from Victory. Looking forward to trying and seeing how it compares. I'm lucky enough to be close to victory so when this is out it is constantly in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back