Can We Start Talking 12-12-12 Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDVDuber

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like we've started (Ok I started it but....) to Hijack the Official 11-11-11 thread with talk of the end of the world and what to brew for the 12-12-12.

So I'll re-start the discussion here - Jump on in!

So far the discussions have tended toward a STRONG and OAKED beer with the following ideas posted today

Wheat Wine
Oaked Wee Heavy
Oaked IIPA
Oaked Barleywine

Here's my preliminary input. There is a tendency to want to make something really really strong for these recipes, but I've found that the stronger doesn't always equal the better. I'd suggest not pushing the ABV so high the resulting beer is still boozy on 12-12-12. It would be my preference to make a strong beer that doesn't compromise on flavor to gain ABV.

A barleywine was done for 999 but that doesn't mean it can't be done again. I think it is a style particularly well-suited to purposes such as the anniversary beers.

An IIPA may prove somewhat difficult for some members since for it to have decent hop presence on 12-12-12 it will need to be dry-hopped fairly close to that date. That means it will need to be stored in bulk from brewing to dry-hopping for a period that may exceed a year. Not a problem for me, but I can see how it could prove difficult for some members. The anniversary beers are typically beers that can be stored and continue developing and improving for years. An IIPA may not quite fit that profile.

I'm glad to see the ball is rolling on this.

This reminds me to add priming yeast to the Golden Strong that was brewed a couple of years ago that never carbed...

I'm down for a big IIPA. I can bulk age for a year and then dry hop no problem.

I'd do a RIS or BW too. Love them all.

Just leave the bugs out of it!

Anyone have a list of what was done for each year? Maybe we could do blends? Everyone pick 2 of the previous styles made and blend the batches prior to packaging? This will be the last repititous date any of us will see in our lifetimes! Just an idea.

I will definitely say lets NOT do a IIPA, def want that to be something very fresh.

Not to throw out another idea but I've been debating on a bourbon barrel quadruple for a bit. Would do well ageing for that amount of time.

I was thinking about this the other day. Thanks for starting the thread.

Wheat wine would be interesting, though not sure how high the interest would be. Wee heavy could also be fun, with a peat malt variation maybe?? Although I also have the space to bulk age and dry hop, many do not and I think it would be less fun to receive a bunch of old DIPA.

I like pretty much all of the ideas presented so far. Never had a wheat wine, how highly hopped is it?

My vote would go towards one of the following probably, unless someone persuades me otherwise:

-Oaked Barleywine
-Oaked IIPA, with a late dry hop.
-Braggot perhaps?

One of the best beers I've brewed was a winter warmer made in the style of a Belgian Quad/BDSA. It was lightly spiced and oaked and came out rich and creamy and smooth and perfect for cold weather. I'm thinking something like that might be appropriate, since many quads are labelled with a "12" and the spices fit with the time of year.

I think a Quad or Wee Heavy would be fitting for 12-12-12, something people could spice/oak if they chose.

Another beer style to consider would be Burton ale; Big, rich, and complex with some traits of an IPA. Would oak well too.

We could get really creative with unique ingredients. I was thumbing through the new Zymurgy and was intrigued by all the crazy saisons featured in the magazine. Saison yeasts take really well to unique ingredients like black pepper, cherries, cardamom, lime zest, etc. I've done a whole slew of them this summer such as an amarillo and cardamom and an oaked cherry rye saison. Perhaps December isn't the best time for a saison but maybe something really creative and out-of-bounds might be fun even with a different base style.

Make a Quad that can be like Rochefort 12. That way it's not a clone but just an play on the numbering system they always use.

I'd be up for a wee heavy (oaked and/or with smoked malt). I'm actually formulating a recipe for such a brew already. I have 2# of cherry wood smoked malt that I'm itching to use. Depending on how it comes out, I might age on some oak too, or maybe put a medium char onto some black cherry cubes.

Otherwise, I would be up for a strong barley wine, with good balance to it. Something fitting of the end of the world.

As for strength, we could leave that up to the brewers. If you want to make a moderate strength version, bigger version, or something over the top, go for it. I've been itching to make a barley wine that's over 12%. Of course, the brew needs to be balanced. Aging time can help smooth it out, but we will only have so much time for that.

I'll be carbonating via gas, so I don't need to worry about the yeast being too tired for that. Or needing to give it too much time to carbonate.

AlphaWolf-Brewery said:
Does that mean we are unable to do another? There is nothing that can be changed in a RIS?

Well it doesn't matter to me, really. I'd be up for it actually since I've never brewed a RIS. I'm thinking about those that have already been involved in the RIS beer; they might want some more variety in the anniversary series.

I'm new to the anniversary beer concept but think I would like to jump in.

I would vote for the Wee Heavy or IIPA. I was thinking about making a wee heavy soon anyway. I am also open to other styles.

Anyone have a list of what was done for each year? Maybe we could do blends? Everyone pick 2 of the previous styles made and blend the batches prior to packaging? This will be the last repititous date any of us will see in our lifetimes! Just an idea.

I will definitely say lets NOT do a IIPA, def want that to be something very fresh.
If you blend, you're limiting the occasion to those that participated in those specific years chosen and excluding everyone else on the forum.

I do love Fin. What about the Westy 12 clone? Seems fitting given the date.

Edit: stupid iPhone.
I'd be down for either of these as well.

True of the American versions, but if it's based on an English IPA aging is not uncommon.

I was thinking 11-12-13, then a 12-13-14. After that we'd have to figure something else out.
How about just using the year as the designation (2013, 2014 . . . ) and scheduling the swaps for the first of the year?

I'm in on the idea of a wee heavy (never brewed one before) But I LOVE Belgian Quads so if we want to come up w/ a beer inspired by Rochefort 10 and Westy 12 perhaps we could take a look at both recipes and come up w/ a decent mix.

Rochefort 10:
http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/rochefort_10_clone_-_variation_002.pdf

http://www.homebrewchef.com/Rochefort10CloneRecipe.html

And Westvleteren 12:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_variation_006.pdf

Back