Your worst brewing related injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No injurys while brewing, moving fermenter to rack out of it i put my finger between it and the doorframe with some speed behind it. That hurt like hell.

But technically that wasnt caused while brewing.

My wallet has suffered several severe concusions. The last one put it in a coma for years ago and now my wife is threatening to pull it off life support.

This has been my worst injury! Only minor nicks and burns, nothing even requiring a band aid. This is a great thread for what to be aware of.

I did this after drinking apfelwein....
ouch.jpg

Story here...

I still need to get the surgery x-rays of the plate and screws... Pretty gnarly looking...

Nice distal radius fracture there. It looks like the fracture didn't extend into the joint line at all which should help to prevent early onset arthritis. Looks like it was close to being an open fracture. With how displaced it was surgery was a guarantee.

How has it turned out after therapy and some time?

I'm not sure what brand of plate they used but this is the plate we typically use.

http://us.synthes.com/Products/Trau...ems/2.4+mm+LCP+Distal+Radius+Plate+System.htm

Ok my first post here, seems an appropriate introduction..

On one of my first batches, I overdid the priming sugar a bit and ended up with some gushers, no big deal at first. Letting it sit for a while, one night I used the capped bottle opening technique I'm so proud of: pop it open with a lighter (I don't smoke anymore but the technique is still great when no opener at hand). You just kind of jam it open with the edge of a lighter. So I popped it open, and the cap flew off like a bullet, and right to my left eyebrow, full force. I was stunned and after the few seconds it took me to realize what just happened, I found myself standing in a puddle of foamy beer with a bleeding eyebrow, hurting like Mike Tyson just landed a jab on me, right to the eye. It bled quite a bit, and I ended up with a big blue/black eye for the coming two weeks. No kidding. I told people something about the car door.

Since then I remember well: 4oz Dextrose per 5 gal. I'm just glad it didn't hit my eye.

I had 10 gallons of boiling wort in my keggle dumped on me.Needless to say I look like Freddy now and have to drink home brew through a tube ÷ {

Well it wasn't while I was brewing but its when I planted my hops on monday.. Was trying to push my empty wheelbarrow up some stairs in the backyard and thought I'd give it a little boost with my foot and my foot slipped and I slammed my shin into the little back support bar.. Dam little goose egg is not letting me forget about it.. it effin' hurts..lol that's probably the worst sofar because I don't count the steam burns that happen regularly ;)

I found myself standing in a puddle of foamy beer with a bleeding eyebrow, hurting like Mike Tyson just landed a jab on me, right to the eye. It bled quite a bit, and I ended up with a big blue/black eye for the coming two weeks. No kidding. I told people something about the car door.

Car door? If I had injured my eye on a car door, I would have told everyone it was an exploding bottle cap. MUCH better story!

Stumbled carrying a pot of hot sparge water, splashed my chest and got a HUGE blister.

Had the entire bottom of a glass carboy come off when I was carrying it, it smashed my bare toes pretty bad.

I was mowing the lawn with a push mower one day. I was backing up near a garden patch and I tripped and fell backwards. My backside landed on a wooden stake that was being used to string hops up the side of my house. I got up, brushed myself off and continued mowing.

About two weeks later I was in a bar enjoying a beer. I noticed it was uncomfortable to sit on the bar stool and I was feeling warm. I went home and the symptoms continued. I went to the doctor that night as I was running a temperature. After the doctor had a look I was sent to the emergency room.

In the emergency room they discovered an infection in the area of my injury. The doctor drained the infection by lancing it. I ended up spending two days in the hospital until the infection cleared.

I was not insured at the time so I had to pay for everything, several thousand. I had just started a new job and the new insurance coverage started the next day.

How about that???

Guess I've been lucky (knock on wood), but I limit my drinking during brew sessions.

To those who use glass carboys, I would highly recommend only moving carboys in plastic milk cartons. They also work nice for storing beer in my cellar because they are stackable.

Also, a good set of brew gloves come in real handy.

artware_simensky_crates.jpg

I have to say my worst by far has been having my PRIDE decimated by giving some of my beer to be evaluated by a few beer judges in the past...OUCH!!

rambler said:
I have to say my worst by far has been having my PRIDE decimated by giving some of my beer to be evaluated by a few beer judges in the past...OUCH!!

Ot: how was it received by non judges? I'm entering my first competition in 2 weeks with a beer that was unanimously excellent by friends an coworkers. Not planning on winning, but hoping I don't get torn apart either.

It was well recieved by friends, but i think they're just glad to get free beer and dont want to bite the hand that feeds them.

When i gave it to the judges they just evaluated it by style and pick out all the flavors and flaws whatnot.

Was making my very first batch........ Wanted to get every last bit of LME out of the plastic tub I had it in so I put in a ladle of boiling water, put on the lid and attempted to shake it up. It immediately exploded.

If I ever go pro I want to incorporate the scar into my logo.
Kinda looks like a dog on one side and a demonic looking face on the other

burn.jpg

how ironic, i did the same exact thing, not even thinking about the pressure from the hot wort, only it was swmbo who shook it up, thank god she was not burnt, i still felt really bad. the dishwasher knob is still hard to turn as the sticky wort siezed it up a bit. boom it went, all over the kitchen. i knew immediately when i heard the boom, funny thing, it was my very first batch. thought my brewing career was done then. wow! didn't even upset her. i love her to death. such a trooper.

Back