Your worst brewing related injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newav_dunce_small.jpg

New personal best, if it qualifies. I was working on some brewery equipment, but not actually brewing.

haha! love the ER curtains in the background. How many stitches?

You can minimize the dangers of bacteria by living in a negative pressure HEPA filtered bubble, but you won't get to enjoy life the same way. If there weren't appropriate uses for glass carboys and bottles, they wouldnt be manufactured because they wouldn't sell.

Yes, and you listed one good reason. Outside of that what can't be done with Better Bottles? Either way, I'm taking it that for some reason you're being overly defensive about my off handed comment. I'm not picketing against glass carboys so you don't need to keep repeating how some of us aren't living life to it's fullest :mug:

Rev.

nah, not overly defensive, just a tad arguementative. I don't care what ya do really, just trying to free you from blinders. (Horses wear blinders so that they can't see other than what is right in front of them, and they don't get scared. I say you are no horse, and can overcome fear better than a horse, and that there is no reason to advocate against something that has solid uses.)
Living life to the fullest is merely and exaggerated metaphor. Only reason I responded was because you had a negative feeling for the glass. Just want to help clarify for you and, more importantly, others who will read this. I am sure you won't go out and switch to glass, as why bother, right? But if someone is trying to make an educated decision between which to use, then they might be scared away from glass (there are some pretty scary things up on this thread!)

I don't care what ya do really, just trying to free you from blinders.

1. I know what blinders are. I'm not some 6 year old child you need to explain it to ;)
2. It does seem you care because you clearly felt the need to parallel someone using plastic fermentation vessels as "being in a bubble" or not "enjoying life the same way".
3. While I'm still a noob brewer I've not yet dealt with any negative aspect of not using glass carboys over a number of different brews I've made. Frankly, I don't even want to use any carboy type shape, even better bottles.
4. Even given a slight chance of injury, I'm sure if I did slip up and drop a glass carboy and sever some tendons or arteries I'd later feel the beer in that carboy just wasn't worth the damage.

So please understand it's my personal outlook on it. If I did want to age a beer for such as extended period as you I would probably leave the carboy in one place for the whole process and only move it for cleaning. But I already said in detail why I'm much more cautious of glass. I don't think at this point I need to explain myself further.

Rev.

(there are some pretty scary things up on this thread!)

If it raises awareness for certain risks, that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with respecting the process, and recognizing the need for a little extra care in certain areas.

Minor cuts and burns for me. But I use the Better Bottle carboys and one slipped off a 4' shelf one and landed right next to me. Sprayed wort for 10' around the room. Had that been a glass carboy, I would be telling a very different story.
I am so happy my brew teacher got me into the Better Bottles from the start. I can't fathom why anyone would use those lethal time bombs.

I can't fathom why anyone would use those lethal time bombs.

To each his own. I've been using glass carboys forever. I pick them up and shake them for aeration and sanitizing, too. Sure, I could possibly have an accident. Accidents happen. I prefer to not live in fear of "what if''s".

What if my propane tank explodes!?
What if my keggle falls off the burner when I am boiling!?
What if
What if
What if

1. I know what blinders are. I'm not some 6 year old child you need to explain it to ;)
2. It does seem you care because you clearly felt the need to parallel someone using plastic fermentation vessels as "being in a bubble" or not "enjoying life the same way".
3. While I'm still a noob brewer I've not yet dealt with any negative aspect of not using glass carboys over a number of different brews I've made. Frankly, I don't even want to use any carboy type shape, even better bottles.
4. Even given a slight chance of injury, I'm sure if I did slip up and drop a glass carboy and sever some tendons or arteries I'd later feel the beer in that carboy just wasn't worth the damage.

So please understand it's my personal outlook on it. If I did want to age a beer for such as extended period as you I would probably leave the carboy in one place for the whole process and only move it for cleaning. But I already said in detail why I'm much more cautious of glass. I don't think at this point I need to explain myself further.

Rev.

lol, I don't know why you think I am attacking you. I am just trying to give valid information. I explained blinders for a reason, and not to underestimate your intelligence. Keep your methods, I have no problem with what you are doing.
What my posting has been for is the fact that there is negative press in these pages about glass. I just wanted to point out that it has positives, it has needs and uses, and that brewers everywhere do actually use these methods without injury. I agree that there are inherant risks associated with glass, and the danger should be respected. I also think that if you can respect boiling wort and propane well enough to feel confident in its use, then you should be able to do the same with glass. Glass is really the lowest danger of those three, and it strikes me as odd when it is more feared.
And again, I am not personalizing this so please don't take offense. I want those who see our conversation to make a decision based on the pros and cons.

Minor cuts and burns for me. But I use the Better Bottle carboys and one slipped off a 4' shelf one and landed right next to me. Sprayed wort for 10' around the room. Had that been a glass carboy, I would be telling a very different story.
I am so happy my brew teacher got me into the Better Bottles from the start. I can't fathom why anyone would use those lethal time bombs.

SLIPPED???

FOUR FEET???

Would you keep your propane immediately adjacent to your burner? my god man! carboys on the floor!

I normally put the wort chiller in the brewpot with 15 minutes of the boil left. I let it sit there to sputter and steam off for a few minutes before I even think of getting anywhere in front of it.

On one fall brew day, about 10 minutes after putting the chiller in, and a few moments before connecting the water hoses, I stood in front of the inlet momentarily to grab a 5 minute hop addition sitting on a table on the other side of the brew pot. Bad move.

I thought the chiller had stopped sputtering a long time earlier, but just as I stepped in front, it let loose one final gasp and send a boiling-hot spit-ball at high velocity toward my inner thigh.

I was wearing what I call 'lounging trousers', but what you might call 'pajamas'. It left what I believe was a 2nd degree burn, and I still have a nice memento scar 8 months later. It gave me new found respect for the chiller, and I never go in front of it until the hoses are attached, and will only attach the hoses with thick leather gloves on... ;)

Some of the other injuries in this thread freak me out! :eek:

not mine but a close friend

166358_10100483922622004_2353969_70297344_1363130_n.jpg

her entire stovetop gets extremely hot after running for an hour. she accidentally set her arm on the stovetop while adding DME. at least all of the DME made it in the pot

lol, I don't know why you think I am attacking you. I am just trying to give valid information. I explained blinders for a reason, and not to underestimate your intelligence.

That's fine, and I already admitted in my first response to you that you had a "good point" about the aging. But you may want to examine and adjust the way you respond to people. A lot can be read as insulting/condescending.

Glass is really the lowest danger of those three, and it strikes me as odd when it is more feared.

Lowest danger? From the posts I've seen, not only in this thread, it looks to me as the most injury comes from broken carboy's. A few burns here and there yes, and only few that leave a permanent scar, but a lot of the broken carboy threads I've read results in stitches, cut tends and surgery, etc.

I'll state it one more time... if you read my original post in this thread I stated exactly why I'm cautious of glass. I only said, "I don't know why anyone still uses glass carboys" and you and I are still going back and forth. I already agreed with you that aging is a good reason for a glass carboy. I'd thought our exchange was finally done after my last reply to you. Can we please end the back and forth now? I really don't care if people want to use or have great reasons for using glass carboy's. It was one simple off handed comment. Man, wish I'd never had said it.

Rev.

Sometimes when I dip my hands into the star San for extended periods of time it starts to dry out my skin. Usually I just get gross looking old man hands, other times it cracks a bit and starts to sting. Ouchie!!

hahaha. Funny comment. It seems most people either burn them self or get hurt from broken glass. Luckily I use no glass except growlers and occasional bottles. I haven't had any bad injuries thankfully. Hopefully going to an all electric system won't bring on an electrocution.

I can't say mine was specifically brew related, but on what was supposed to be a brew day last Spring, while I was doing my prep work, I fell down the basement stairs and broke my ankle.

The only casualty was my yeast starter (the milled grain went into the freezer along with the hops) and of course, my ankle.

Nothing compared to some of the other injuries I've seen here. Wow you guys, that sucks!!

I was shaking my therminator to clean out some hops with boiling starsan and with the valve open the silicone tube came off and i got hit for about 1 second.

5bf1b268.jpg

That's about 3 days after all the skin sloughed off.

This thread inspired me to put together a Brewing Safety lecture for the Whale Homebrew club. I wasn't sure how it would be received but it sounded like people took it seriously. When I started it up, I asked how many have been injured while brewing and I saw at least 20 hands go up (that's about half the room).

I wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thread and let you know I used some of the pictures. You can find the article on the WHALES website. If I've used a picture of yours and you do NOT give me permission to use it, please PM me and I'll take it off.

Nice burn chrysler. Ive only lost some knuckle hair because my dang stir spoon is too short. I named my last brew black knuckle india pale ale because of it. However, I ordered a 24" spoon along with my last three kits from AHS. Should be here this week.

Mo nuckle hair fo me son!!

This thread inspired me to put together a Brewing Safety lecture for the Whale Homebrew club. I wasn't sure how it would be received but it sounded like people took it seriously. When I started it up, I asked how many have been injured while brewing and I saw at least 20 hands go up (that's about half the room).

I wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thread and let you know I used some of the pictures. You can find the article on the WHALES website. If I've used a picture of yours and you do NOT give me permission to use it, please PM me and I'll take it off.

In your "precautions" section for DIY, based on my recent act of stupidity, maybe add:

- Clamp things down when drilling or cutting.

I slipped on a wet floor and dropped an empty glass carboy in the basement. I went down on one knee to avoid falling over and a nice sharp chunk of glass went into my shin. It didn't hurt that bad, but after looking down and seeking 2-3" of the bone, I screamed and passed out. SWMBO got the paramedics over. 30 stitches later I have a nice scar and a story.

Better Bottles are named so for a reason.

Not that I'm guilt free but some people really need to take a look at their Personal protective equipment use and operating procedures.

Not that I'm guilt free but some people really need to take a look at their Personal protective equipment use and operating procedures.

Check.

I'll take a note reminding me to not make mistakes and never have accidents. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

:D

I once messed up while opening a ball valve on a boiling keggle. It turned me into a newt...but I got better.

I'm curious to know how many of these accidents were caused by too many brews while brewing? Maybe we should promote Relax dont worry have a Snapple until the carboys are put safely away.

I'm curious to know how many of these accidents were caused by too many brews while brewing? Maybe we should promote Relax dont worry have a Snapple until the carboys are put safely away.

for my burn, I had 2 or 3 beers.
for my cut/gouge, I had only had half a pint. that one was pure sober stupidity.

Yep good thread. I plan to add a good pair of work gloves to my brewing equipment. No injuries yet but I have had one bottle break while capping it.

This is really awesome that you put this together for your group! I really like how you laid it out too, very easy to read. Great work on educating others on such an important topic!

I pulled a line off the hot liquor tank valve without closing the valve first. the thing about stuff like that is - the split second that you have to realize what a stupid ass mistake you just made - right before the pain sets in.

Ya know, I have been meaning to go to better bottles. I figure that when my 4 glass carboys break, I will make the switch. Been 14 years and they haven't broken yet.

I have thankfully never suffered a brewing injury (not yet anyway) but I may be scarred for life by eating pizza whilst reading this thread. Bad choice.

Pulled back a fingernail taking off a fermentation bucket's lid. Hurt like a *****. Also, various burns, nicks, etc.

Just minor burns... nothing bad (though I am a former glass blower... I'm quite accustomed to burns.)

I always carry my carboys in milk crates... after reading this, I'm going to wrap strips of old blankets around the 5 gallon ones to take up the extra space and prevent flying glass.

I'm also thinking about using some images in this thread for an article on my site... you will be credited of course... let me know if there's any you don't want me to use.

Didn't clean up the cut after using an angle grinder to cut the top off a keg I was converting. Continued drilling holes and pulling a dimple tool through. Socket slipped off the bolt and my arm hit the rough edge of the lid cut. Sliced down to the muscle, just nicking it. 3 internal stitches, 13 external stitches.
img_0475.jpg

Latest posts

Back