Your opinions on Safale S04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
Every time I've brewed an ale in the past 4 months I've deviated into WLPs and Wyeasts for my ale yeast. I drop $7 on a vial or pack of this stuff only to find that at the end of my brew I just wish I had used S04. I have S04 fermentation needs down to a science with my setup as far as fermentation temps and aggressive fermentation goes.

I was thinking, it's only $3 a packet, has always had an incredible viability, and ferments and flocculates so quickly, why would I deviate?

I'm thinking about making this my exclusive ale yeast simply for the fact that it is easy, aggressive, quick, and clean. most of the yeast gets filtered/fined out before kegging anyways and I've found that I can get from dry/clean to mildly fruity with the difference of a few degrees depending on what hop character i want to accentuate.

What do you guys think? Do you have that go-to yeast for most of your beers that just works for you?

I use US05 as my primary American ale yeast and have had decent results with S04. Depending on the style, I find that something like Wyeast West Yorkshire produces just a little bit better of a beer. Especially if I'm brewing English styles for competition where if I'm already forking over $6 to enter and $20 to ship beer, what's an extra couple bucks for yeast to give me every advantage possible.

S04 is my standard yeast , I think it's great, I used at least 12 packets last year, and have just bought six packets to get me stated in 2014.
I have used several other yeast but come back to S04.

S-05 is my standard yeast for probably 80% of my brews. I've learned to adapt it to many different styles. Personally I can't stand 04. I don't like the twang I get from it at any temperature. Some love it, others don't . Like 05 it's a dry yeast, predictable as hell, and inexpensive. If you like the yeast....why wouldn't you use it? :mug:

I've used -04 a few times, all darker ales, and it's always worked well. -05 is my go to yeast though. My most frequent brews are APAs or Blondes and -05 has always treated me well for those.

I brew 10 gallon batches and one day I wondered what the difference would be between the 04 and 05 so I labeled one fermenter 04 and the other 05 and set them side by side to do their magic. I found that the 04 had more trub left over but other than that, they tasted the same and fermented at the same rate (give or take a few seconds :p ). I use 05 for all of my American Ales and have NEVER had an issue such as a stuck ferment.

Even though the two leave - what I consider - very different flavor profiles, this is still something of a Chevy vs. Ford question. If you like English ales, S-04 will probably find a nice home in your carboy...if you like to showcase a hop profile like many American ales, then you probably sleep next to S-05.

Personally, I fall on the latter side. I've only used S-04 twice, and I didn't care for the fruity esters it created. I could most likely fix this if I had the ability to control my Temps and keep them around 60, but that's tough with my current setup. Even in my English style beers, I'll stick with English malts and hops, but still us S-05.

If I was more concerned about adhering rigidly to a style, I'd probably use S-04 more. I respect those who DO follow the guidelines to a T, but I'm more concerned about brewing what tastes good to me.

As a side note, I have to disagree that S-04 is "cleaner" than S-05. S-04 is certainly quicker and more aggressive, but my taste buds feel that the 05 leaves a very, very clean beer behind it.

I've been happy with both S04 an S05. S05's a mainstay in the fridge, and S04's finding a home also. Because of the success of both of them I want to try the other Fermentis yeasts like the K97 and the lagers/etc. Hard to find them in small packs though.

I'm sure I'm missing something by staying with dry yeasts, but they're so easy to use and the beer's great. Once I nail down a few recipies I'll start playing with liquid yeasts, but I'll always have dry yeast in the fridge.

I think overall I liked 04 over 05 yeast, I really didnt think there was alot of difference in yeast character. I do think its clearer and maybe attenuates a little better. However Ive mainly brewed with 05 yeast as far as dry and wonder why. I think I ferment them in too clean a temp to fully capture the yeasts esters though. To me they were almost similar in taste. To me 04 yeast was pretty clean and not estery enough. Dang I miss brewing, havent brewed since the end of spring. Looking to brew something soon and cant decide what to brew.:( Ive had wines and meads in my fermenters all summer/fall.

S-05 is my standard yeast for probably 80% of my brews. I've learned to adapt it to many different styles. Personally I can't stand 04. I don't like the twang I get from it at any temperature. Some love it, others don't . Like 05 it's a dry yeast, predictable as hell, and inexpensive. If you like the yeast....why wouldn't you use it? :mug:

Ditto, word for word.

I've used liquid yeast since I started in 2004. They used to warn against dry yeast. This year I decided to experiment with dry yeast for every beer possible. I find so far that I love the convenience, because it is cheap enough to pitch an extra pouch if needed rather than making a starter.

Both US-05 and S-04 are excellent yeasts and either will make a great house strain. However, there are some beers where they just wouldn't give what you want. In that case you'd have to use something else if you want to be exact. Use S-04 if you love it, but don't discount other good strains when they will give you something better.

Not sure why but yesterday I brewed and used S-04 after having experienced the tangie\twang tastes I had experienced previously. I probably should have stuck with my mainstay US-05, but I wanted to give S-04 one more try. I was not sure if I could improve the flavor by fermenting at lower temps then previous batches. Currently my back room stays pretty cool so I figure I can ferment it at about 62F +-.

Anyone have a preferred temp range to minimize the twang?

I want this batch to be a success not just suc.... :)

I use S-04 for darker /English beers, S-05 for lighter/American beers. I used to use Notty, but I've gotten away from it recently. On occasion I'll get liquid for something special like Denny's Rye IPA. You have to figure out what works for you.

I use both S-4 and US-05. I like both... for American beers such as American Pale Ale and American IPA's and American Rye's or Browns...you know brews that have a lot citrus type American hops. US-05 is clean and clear. For my English styles, such as ESB, Southern English Mild Brown, or an English IPA ... you know those brews with the English hops like East Kent Goldings, UK Fuggles... spicy and more earthy hops, the S-4 provides a nice fruity match to these types of hops. I also use some WLP004 Irish Ale for my Oatmeal Stout. Those 3 are my go to yeasts.

I use it for my zombie dust clone and have had many people who've had the real thing say mine was just as good or even better.

Bottling another batch tomorrow.

This is a great thread. It has been very informative to read other's opinions and experiences.

I started using S-04 for English style beers and US-05 for American. Lately I have switched to Notty for English beers and cider, and BRY-97 for American styles. But due to Notty's tendency to make a more dry beer and BRY-97's slowness have considered going back to the Safale strains. The only liquid yeast I buy is Irish Ale yeast for my Irish Red. Nothing else gives quite that same smoky goodness.

I just discovered US 04 and 05 this last year and it's totally changed the way I brew. Now I know that if I keep an array of proper ingredients on hand, I can make almost any beer I want and not have to worry about having the "right" yeast for the job on hand. That's worth a lot when you like to brew spontaneously, but live three hours from a LHBS.

do any of you with the twang experience bottle or keg? I keg and have found that the flavor profile changes over time. I've found 04 to clear up and taste amazing at week 5. Cheers.

That is why I want to try S-04 again I found a few bottles that I forgot about and tasted much better Aged a little! Patience - one thing I don't have!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had a great time with S-04 if I pitch it right. I recycle so I can't say how much dry, but I will say that "twang" (which I think is a crummy descriptor for anything, so I'm just guessing you mean what I mean) is minimized with higher pitch and more time in the bottle (especially the latter). I ferment it in the mid 60s and still get appropriate fruit. It's a nice, balanced strain, great floc and balanced attenuation. I love it with English hops.

I have had a great time with S-04 if I pitch it right. I recycle so I can't say how much dry, but I will say that "twang" (which I think is a crummy descriptor for anything, so I'm just guessing you mean what I mean) is minimized with higher pitch and more time in the bottle (especially the latter). I ferment it in the mid 60s and still get appropriate fruit. It's a nice, balanced strain, great floc and balanced attenuation. I love it with English hops.

Agree 100%, I did an English ordinary bitter with all Goldings and S-04, one of my favorites.

Latest posts

Back