Your home bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So other than a selection of your own homebrew, what do you all stock in your home bar?

We always have a selection of bourbon (and by selection I mean many), but the bar gets cluttered with random crap. Cocktail flexibility is important, but I am exhausted of having space taken up with a half-full three year old bottle of Galliano or a remarkably complete array of fruit-infused moonshine.

Vodka, gin, Patron Silver, JD, Knob Creek, Legendario (if you know what this is, you know it's damn nectar of the gods), an '87 Portuguese port we picked up in Algarve, and a few random bottles of European spirits (Raki, grappa, and Hungarian Wiagra)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am pretty sure we have the bourbon selection covered, but adding in one specifically for guests who don't care as much is a good idea. Knob. Creek is a good idea.

So the list is:
- knob creek
- vodka (probably prairie since it is very neutral)
- gin (hendrick's? Barr hill?)
- tequila (patron? Corso?)
- fernet branca (fixes tummy ills)
- sweet vermouth di Torino for manhattans
- dry vermouth and/or lillet blanc
- drinking vermouths
- tonic, soda, bottled water
- various bitters

That looks solid for basic but quality cocktails, no?

In my cabinet currently sits:

Bourbon - Knob Creek
Vodka - Svedka (cheap and makes for a great mixer)
Rums - Bacardi Select, Appleton Estate, Captain Morgan Spiced
Tequila - 1800 Silver, Don Eduardo Silver
Gin - Tanqueray (G&T's are tasty, but never result in a good morning for me)
E&J XO Brandy (this bottle will be around for a long time...blech)
Damiana liqueur (makes really good margaritas)
Everclear (former mixed drink experiments)
Peppermint Schnapps
Black Raspberry liqueur (another that will be around for a long time...)

I have a pretty sizeable collection - a lot of things I have doubled (per spirit) for mixing versus straight / on the rocks.
I have some Smirnoff vodka for mixing, and Triple 8, Grey Goose and another local for straight. Same with rums, gin, and bourbon.

I used to keep a fully stocked bar... but that got expensive, or maybe I was just raiding it too often...

These days it's just whatever homebrew I have on tap, a sixer or two of craft beer, and whatever bottle of whiskey I'm working through (bourbon, scotch, or irish depending on my mood).

I used to be real into gin cocktails, but these days it's usually just whiskey-neat or beer.

I buy one of each kind of liquor, whatever I can get the best deal (value, don't drink any crap) on so I can spend it on brewing equipment!

Bourbon, Vermouth (love Manhattans), Scotch, Cognac, Vodka, Gin, Lillet, Grand Marnier, Tequila, Triple Sec (Margaritas), Rum, Irish Whiskey.

Wow, that's way more liquors than I realized I have!

I dont want to think about how much I have in the liquor cabinet/bar area. Lets put it this way, I have to put a stiffener in the scotch shelf because it is sagging from the weight. Have to do the same with the bourbon/rye shelf as well. All the other stuff is in a base cabinet.

Akvavit, aalborg
Gin, whatever I feel like at the time
Vermouths
Amaretto, when it is gifted
Kraken Black Rum

S'it

Gin
Hendrick’s & Bombay Sapphire

Vodka
Sobieski – cheap but decent quality
Pearl Cucumber – for bloody mary’s

Irish Whiskey
Tullamore Dew & Jameson’s

Bourbon
Basil Hayden & Ancient Ancient Age

Cointreau for cosmopolitans

Dry Vermouth & Bitters for Manhattans

I always keep a bottle of Gentlemen Jack around. I feel like a traitor because I live in Kentucky, but I prefer Jack Daniels over most bourbon. That being said, I still love bourbon. I'm a big fan of Woodford.

Recently discovered Tullamore Dew, so I keep a bottle of that in stock. My wife usually goes with Private Stock, and there's usually a tequila floating around.

Back