Your chance to trial a FREE Pinter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please hear me out. Because of brain-damage, I have a very difficult time trying to type out complex thoughts in their entirety because I get hung up on just getting the words out, and this is a detailed thought about a matter very important to me.
Although I would never consider this product myself, I see a great potential in it if they would offer low-alcohol, marketed as 'no-alcohol' recipes as an option. It could teach kids about brewing like the Easy-Bake Oven teaches kids about baking...Bear with me:
I grew up next door to my dads service station. I've had to clean up and tow away the wreckage of hundreds of DUI's.... on multiple occasions, having to stop hooking up and have the police get someone over to remove pieces of flesh, bone, teeth, fingers etc that were stuck in areas I had to put the chains or route the tow-light cable. As a consequence, I've had to meet many parents when they come to claim the wreck and they are alwys one of 2 types: About 2/3 are the uptight clearly dogmatics that never allowed their children near alcohol, and the other 1/3 are drunks themselves who nevertheless go to church every Sunday and beat their kids if they 'misbehave'. I went to a catholic grade school that was mostly Italian and some Eastern European immigrants and the kids grew up with wine regularly at the dinner table...heck, half the neighborhood made their own and as kid I got to learn from a few of them. I continued as an adult to spend time at my dads shop so I know what happened to all the kids from grade school and know who were the many well-known neighborhood drunks. All the drunks were from one of the 2 previously mentioned type parents. Not one single child whose parents had a more relaxed attitude was among them because even in my own experience growing up; Alcohol was not the big deal to them that it is to teens who have always been prohibited it.
I sincerely believe they should market a version for kids aged 8-16 with low-alcohol kits and call it "Billy Bockers Easy-Brew Pub Keg"
I know it sounds like I'm taking the piss, but I think we all know how we felt growing up about thing that were absolutely forbidden. I take the toll of irresponsible alcohol use and attitudes very very seriously and see the potential of this product as a developmental aid.
I don't know if my thoughts are too far 'outside the box', but 'inside the box' a cat always dies.

Latest posts

Back