You should label your beer! It's easy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
But Captain, why should I label my beers when I’m the only one who drinks them?

I’m glad you asked Jimmy. First off, you probably aren't really the only one who drinks them, and if you are, you shouldn't be. Sharing homebrew is one of the great joys of brewing! Even if you live alone, you have friends and family you see from time to time and colleagues at work. Few of the people who know that you homebrew will never express some interest in tasting some. Additionally, there are local homebrewing clubs; national and local competitions. There are podcasters and bloggers who will gladly accept beers from you. You can even find BJCP judges who will evaluate your beer outside of competition.

If you’ve truly never offered any of these people your beer, I have to ask why not? Are you embarrassed by your beer? There are ways to fix that! But if, as I suspect, you really just mean you drink most of the beers you make, then I strongly encourage you to label your beers – or at the very minimum, have labels handy to apply for the times when you do give your beer to others.

While it’s simplistic to say we taste with our eyes, it is true that we use senses other than just smell and taste when we drink a beer. We listen to the pssht when the bottle is uncapped; we see the color and turbidity; we feel how fast the alcohol goes to our head. We also notice if the packaging looks slick, not necessarily professional, but carefully done with pride… or maybe there’s just a couple of hard-to-decipher initials hastily scrawled on the cap with a Sharpie. All of these things factor into the beer drinking and evaluating experience. Labeled homebrew will not just impress your friends, it becomes a brand that you work for, that you take pride in and work to improve.

How to make labeling easy

Come up with a theme, and let your brand and names flow from there. Theme-branding necessarily limits your creative possibilities, but that’s actually a good thing. When you can name your beer anything, it’s often easier to simply not decide and wind up naming it nothing at all, and continue just scrawling initials on the caps with a Sharpie. So come up with a theme. What do you like (besides brewing beer)? Do you like working on cars? Brake Shop Brewery; High Octane IIPA; Motor Oil Porter; GTO Stout; How about baseball? Left Field Lager. Or fishing? Big Mouth Bock. What do you do for a living? You can tease fun names out of any theme you pick.

If you’re even slightly artistically inclined, basic label design is pretty easy. If you don’t have Photoshop or any other image editing software, use Google to find a free or low cost one. Your all-in-one printer has a scanner that will allow you to import anything you can draw by hand. For the less artistically inclined, do Google searches for things like “free label design,” and “free logo maker.” You could have a friend or colleague design your labels (in exchange for some beer, of course). Or you can even have one of your children do it!
4labels.jpg

Many of my "Klingon beer" labels follow a common theme>

Printing your labels.

Looking through the ads in brewing magazines there are a number of services that will print and cut labels for you. You’ll have to decide if the cost is worth it to you. Many of us will prefer to print at home or the office. If you consider the printable area on a standard letter size sheet of paper is about 8 x 10.5 inches (different printers will have different areas), this easily divides into six rectangular labels 4 x 3.5 inches each. You can make your labels smaller or larger if you want, so that you’ll have more or less than 6 on a page, but for my rectangular labels I prefer to go “6-up.”

Although round or irregular shaped labels look great, they are much harder to cut out at home than rectangular ones. An easy alternative to rectangular labels is to make diamond-shaped labels of 2.5 inches square each. You can fit 12 on a letter-sized page. They will be 3.53 inches on the diagonal and so will still appear to take up most of the usable space on the bottle. See my example at the bottom of this post.
6upexample.jpg
zombie%20monkey%2012up.jpg

6-up rectangular and 12-up diamond labels, both on standard 8.5 x 11 paper

The problem with printing your labels at home is that ink-jet printer ink tends to bleed when it gets wet. If you have access to a color laser printer you’re golden, but these are a pretty hefty expense just for printing beer labels a dozen or so times per year. I get mine printed on the color copier at my local office supply store. I print out a high quality, glossy 6-up page at home and have color copies made at 50¢ per page. I cut them out at home and glue them on with glue stick. Some brewers glue their labels on with milk (no, it won’t go sour or get stinky). Either one will come off easily in warm water. I strongly recommend against printing labels on self adhesive paper. They are a nightmare to remove, even the “removable” ones.

Full-wrap neckbands are too much of a headache to deal with. So instead of a neckband, make diamond shaped “medallions” of 0.75 - 1.25 inches square each.
zombiebottle1.jpg
zombie%20monkey%20diamond%201.jpg

Honestly, designing these labels only took about 30 minutes.
:mug:

I don't have too much trouble with the self-adhesive label paper. They soak off about as well as commercial ones in PBW solution. I mostly use Beerlabelizer.com's software to make labels & add pics or artwork to. Here's a couple examples;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/qarstout2_zps44362a92.jpg.html] [/URL]
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/porter_zps07fa5a75.jpg.html] [/URL]
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/lemonweisse_zps84bfb068.jpg.html] [/URL]

I used to make labels because it really does add something to your beer when you hand your buddy a labeled bottle. the problem is that adhesives then have to be soaked to remove and if you use the milk trick the labels sometimes come off in your hand.

Blah, just wasn't worth it for me. Now when I share with friends I pour them a glass, hand it to them and tell them the story of this particular brew.

the problem is that adhesives then have to be soaked to remove and if you use the milk trick the labels sometimes come off in your hand.
I've never had a problem with glue stick. I usually put 3 stripes of it on each label. It holds well enough for storage and transport. Removal is more of a rinse than a soak.

I too have used the glue sticks to great success.

Plans for making a Yogurt's Liquid Schwartz themed label, and a Dark Helmet label, but I'm waiting for the proofs to be emailed from bottlemark. They are taking their sweet time! Once the caps are shown to be good quality I can think about printing off the labels. Should be just in time for the bottling run.

The only time I've had milk labels come off is when they've been tossed in a cooler with melting ice. I print on glossy paper with a color laserjet and I get great results using the milk method.

Homercidal, I'm curious to hear about your overall experience with Bottlemark. Sounds like they're slow, apparently? Have you bought from them before? I currently print on Avery 3/4 inch round labels for my caps, but preprinted caps would be nice.

I do like creative labels. I am too lame on the computer to share mine here, but it is my boat sailing, with "Wandering Star Ale" above. The boat is Wandering Star. I had some printed up on vinyl, about a case of my bottles are so labelled. I also use a Brother Label Maker to label each bottle with the date bottled, ABV, and style, as well as a name. Last Chance IPA, Fat Cat Pale Ale, Maureen O'Hara Irish Red, etc.

I do very simple but practical labels, with just the name of the beer, a list of ingredients, the brewing and bottling dates, the starting and finishing gravities, and the ABV. While it looks very plain, it serves to answer the most common questions I get from other brewers.

Homercidal, I'm curious to hear about your overall experience with Bottlemark. Sounds like they're slow, apparently? Have you bought from them before? I currently print on Avery 3/4 inch round labels for my caps, but preprinted caps would be nice.

I uploaded a couple of images and requested proofs. They run the single caps and take pictures and email them to you. I imagine they probably do this when they aren't running production caps. It's been a few days and I haven't received an email saying they were making the proofs.

I might email them and ask how long it usually takes and when I might expect. I'm in no hurry, but I would like to be sure there isn't some kind of mistake.

Back